Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

balancing income vs expenditure.... how do you do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RocDoc
    replied

Perhaps this is not “women” issues but I think the mom guilt is certainly a factor for me.

– How do you balance your retirement/education savings, cost savings to your budget and spending for your family’s today happiness?  Small example, I want to cut back on expenses like TV but if I lower my package further we lose Disney and Nickalodeon (we’re already below the Jrs) and I can’t do that to my stay at home most of the time husband.  Large example, we just had #4 and realized how hard it will be to travel (live rural, 6 plane tickets $$, we don’t fit in a hotel room legally) so we bought a travel trailer RV despite having mortgage debt.

I do not have a family yet- but I was told to take care of you and your spouse first – so max out those retirement plans, save accordingly etc. If you have that handled, then the rest is “discretionary”. Difficult to comment without more specifics about your situation.

I agree with conniebird. Most of the retirement blogs mention to make you self and spouse the priority. They often mention that "your children can get student loans but you and your spouse can't get loans for retirement."

Leave a comment:

• conniebird
    replied
    I do not have a family yet- but I was told to take care of you and your spouse first - so max out those retirement plans, save accordingly etc. If you have that handled, then the rest is "discretionary". Difficult to comment without more specifics about your situation.

Leave a comment:

• balancing income vs expenditure.... how do you do it?

Perhaps this is not "women" issues but I think the mom guilt is certainly a factor for me.

- How do you balance your retirement/education savings, cost savings to your budget and spending for your family's today happiness?  Small example, I want to cut back on expenses like TV but if I lower my package further we lose Disney and Nickalodeon (we're already below the Jrs) and I can't do that to my stay at home most of the time husband.  Large example, we just had #4 and realized how hard it will be to travel (live rural, 6 plane tickets $$, we don't fit in a hotel room legally) so we bought a travel trailer RV despite having mortgage debt.

Working...
X