Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First job; how to dress professionally and tastefully?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nastle
    replied
    Originally posted by snowcanyon View Post
    I'm going to be totally radical here and say if you feel comfortable in it and it feels good, that's professional.
    At least, that's the world we should be aiming for!
    I disagree ! my Sex Pistols T-shirt is very comfortable so isa tshirt I got at a ww2 re enactment I went to but I will NEVER wear them to work

Leave a comment:

• Nebraska Walker

• Nebraska Walker
    replied
    Lots of good feedback. Expectations of dress for a female doctor in primary care I believe have evolved over the 20+ years I have practiced.
    Since COVID-19, we all started wearing scrubs because we get exposed frequently and we never know when that will be. Scrubs have improved considerably and I found LandsEnd brand to fit well with lots of pockets. so that's what I wear with my white coat. Other colleagues have begun wearing street/dress clothes again and will wear slacks or dresses. Interesting to hear that white coats are considered fomites in Britain. Our laundry service is not prompt so I have brought my coat home to wash at times.

When we are down to 1:100,000 cases of COVID in our area, and I don't feel like I have to wash everything I wear every day, I plan to revert back to my previous dress of classics:
    sweaters or blouses or tunics with slacks. LandsEnd and L.L. Bean have nice classic styles. plus their tall sizes fit me better.
    I frequently wore dresses and skirts.
    Always comfortable shoes.
    Many of my clothes came from thrift stores or garage sales. I avoid wearing anything that I would be heartbroken to throw away if I couldn't get blood or body fluid out of it from the occasional skin procedure.

Clothing can be a nice way to express oneself I agree. My husband is from another country and from time to time I would wear an ethnic outfit. Many patients complimented me as they admired the flowing lines. They also would admire my thrift store finds and it was fun to tell them where I got it. My patient population is not in a high income zip code but I think they appreciate the effort the doctor makes to look presentable.

Consider wearing a vest for the many pockets. Zippered pockets are great for phones. There are great wool or fleece vests that look business casual, well, at least doctor office casual in my opinion. I even have silk ones that I wore with my ethnic outfits.

laying your clothing out the night before saves time in the morning.

either way, street clothes or scrubs, all the best for you and your career!

Leave a comment:

• snowcanyon

• snowcanyon
    replied
    I'm going to be totally radical here and say if you feel comfortable in it and it feels good, that's professional.
    At least, that's the world we should be aiming for!

Leave a comment:

• mpdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by childay View Post

How are the prices
    Roughly on par with Ann Taylor or Banana Republic in general but I think the quality is better. (Fabric feels heavier, pants have lining, etc) IIRC you can set some parameters around price and type of items you want.

Leave a comment:

• Lordosis
    Family Physician

• Lordosis
    replied
    Originally posted by childay View Post

How are the prices
    My wife was doing stixfix for a while but stopped earlier this year. She said they stopped sending food clothes. Went to a computer algorithm rather than a person or something like that. I'm not sure I wasn't really listening

Leave a comment:

• Hank
    replied
    Originally posted by artemis View Post

Another good option for the young and broke (or older and thrifty by choice) is thrift stores. Some very high end clothes in timeless styles end up there; it's not all low-quality fast fashion.
    Oh, I merely meant those were the stores where those clothes originally were sold. The thrift store in the nice part of town usually has some great finds.

Leave a comment:

• artemis
    Physician (Pathologist)

• artemis
    replied
    Originally posted by Hank View Post
    Professional attire for women? Ann Taylor or Nordstrom. Don't pay for Needless Markup or Bergdorf.
    Another good option for the young and broke (or older and thrifty by choice) is thrift stores. Some very high end clothes in timeless styles end up there; it's not all low-quality fast fashion.

Leave a comment:

• Anne
    replied
    Fashion Coward…it’s just Ann Taylor

https://youtu.be/JE4VdrKf40s

Leave a comment:

• Hank
    replied
    Professional attire for women? Ann Taylor or Nordstrom. Don't pay for Needless Markup or Bergdorf. Higher end scrubs are fine too, though some folks still are boycotting Figs.

Leave a comment:

• childay
    Physician

• childay
    replied
    Originally posted by mpdoc View Post
    +1 to Stichfix!! Have had great experience and used them to build up my "professional" wardrobe- including the caveat that I need machine washable items that can be cleaned of bodily fluids! I've been amazed at their ability to send me pants that fit better than I've ever found in a store.
    How are the prices

Leave a comment:

• mpdoc
    replied
    +1 to Stichfix!! Have had great experience and used them to build up my "professional" wardrobe- including the caveat that I need machine washable items that can be cleaned of bodily fluids! I've been amazed at their ability to send me pants that fit better than I've ever found in a store.

Leave a comment:

• Zaphod
    Physician

• Zaphod
    replied
    Originally posted by Dusn View Post

I remember being a 3rd year male medical student with a short white coat, shadowing a female orthopedic surgeon attending in clinic and at the end of the visit, the patient (also female) told her son to thank “the doctor” as she pointed to me and “the nurse,” as she pointed to my attending. I hadn’t even said a word during the entire visit, looked like I was 12 at the time, and the attending had been talking the whole time.

Some people just kill me.
    Its so incredibly amazing really.

Leave a comment:

• Dusn
    replied
    Originally posted by Zaphod View Post

This is zero to do with scrubs and just plain sexism. Being mistaken/respected never changes with dress. It happens all the time, every woman I know has tried to fight it with all tools available and it still happens.
    I remember being a 3rd year male medical student with a short white coat, shadowing a female orthopedic surgeon attending in clinic and at the end of the visit, the patient (also female) told her son to thank “the doctor” as she pointed to me and “the nurse,” as she pointed to my attending. I hadn’t even said a word during the entire visit, looked like I was 12 at the time, and the attending had been talking the whole time.

Some people just kill me.

Leave a comment:

• afan
    replied

This is zero to do with scrubs and just plain sexism. Being mistaken/respected never changes with dress. It happens all the time, every woman I know has tried to fight it with all tools available and it still happens.
    I agree it happens all the time. I have known senior women, department chairs, who were initially blocked from providing emergency care for people on airplanes while the flight attendants waited for a "doctor" to assist.

At my place, there is a color code on the IDs, which must be immediately visible at all times, that identify the job description of the person. That was not enough, so now the docs have a large red supplementary sign that says "DOCTOR" applied to the bottom of the badge. The first people I noticed wearing these were young women. I do not know whether it has helped.

The thing that I found distressing about the Atlantic article, besides the fact that this keeps happening, is that the author let it get to them. There will always be people who are crude, disrespectful, or otherwise inappropriate. A large proportion of the people we see are there because of their impaired cognition. Life should not be like that, but sometimes it is. In the last episode described in the article, I doubt that the patient's inappropriate conduct really changed the perceptions of her colleagues. They all knew who she was. Unfortunately, everyone in medicine, no matter their gender, has seen this far too many times.

Leave a comment:

• F0017S0
    Other Professional

• F0017S0
    replied

Probably should have added some context: I agree. People suck regardless of dress and women bear the brunt of the suckiness. Comes from society, parents not teaching their kids good behavior/manners, among many other issues.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X