Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First job; how to dress professionally and tastefully?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I usually wear a button down shirt and pants. A few years ago, I got an idea that I was going to dress up more, at the urging of my wife , I started wearing a jacket and tie, almost every patient that came in wanted to know whose funeral I was going to.

Comment

Originally posted by MPMD View Post
      once again waiting for this to devolve into a fierce competition about who can brag about wearing the crappiest clothes at work.

to the OP: it is fine to dress up for work, see what others are wearing and take your cue from them. when in doubt simple and classic. this is also the kind of thing where a session with a personal shopper might well be worth it.
      Take your cue from what you have observed in your training to start with. Then check out what others wear in your setting.

Start basic using mix and match. Build your work wardrobe slowly. You will find your own routine.

Comment

Hm wow I somehow forgot to mention I'm a woman.

Comment

A lot of advice is contingent on your speciality. I would wear scrubs if it is a messy one. I wore them a lot since I was OB/GYN. Some days you need a change from scrubs. Sometimes it depends on your personality. I wore dresses and pants and leggings. Sweaters are nice since the hospitalis always cold.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatton View Post
            A lot of advice is contingent on your speciality. I would wear scrubs if it is a messy one. I wore them a lot since I was OB/GYN. Some days you need a change from scrubs. Sometimes it depends on your personality. I wore dresses and pants and leggings. Sweaters are nice since the hospitalis always cold.
            Yes if procedural its just not worth it. Agree on the just a change thing, but every time you think its just clinic and you can dress nicely you'll find yourself removing a drain or other such thing and get bodily fluids on your fancy dress. So I mostly gave up, which is annoying I have some decent suits.

Comment

In the realm of what patients respect and trust, I think there was a study on this. The most respected was shirt and tie with white coat (presumably business attire for women is the equivalent?), followed by scrubs, followed by shirt and tie no white coat, followed by no tie no white coat. I wear dress shirt without tie, so no one trusts me.

My point is that, scrubs are completely accepted post residency. Take some guidance based on what the rest of the clinic is wearing, but still, if you want to wear scrubs it should be just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by HandFellow View Post
                In the realm of what patients respect and trust, I think there was a study on this. The most respected was shirt and tie with white coat (presumably business attire for women is the equivalent?), followed by scrubs, followed by shirt and tie no white coat, followed by no tie no white coat. I wear dress shirt without tie, so no one trusts me.

My point is that, scrubs are completely accepted post residency. Take some guidance based on what the rest of the clinic is wearing, but still, if you want to wear scrubs it should be just fine.
                there was a study, old, and totally bs. this is the usual crank stuff churned out by consultants. There was a ratings company that used to tout that study and my favorite part was this ladies husband was one of the most successful plastic surgeons in san diego, had a huge practice and never wore anything but scrubs in his career.

this is one of those answers on a question vs. does it make a difference in the real world, where it doesnt. Nowadays most would say that being overly dressed is more a put off and creating unnecessary distance between you and pts.

unless you find a clear difference in volume, procedures, and money made it isnt a real thing. there are thresholds to stuff where it matters to a point and then doesnt make a difference, and for docs that is at scrubs. Its literally the picture people would draw or describe if they said "describe a doctor". Its totally in expected realm when a pt shows up. You just dont want to be outside those realms, either a hobo or ostentatiously which might raise a question about you one way or another. Dress should mostly be forgettable and not what people take away.

Comment

Reminds me of this

Comment

Here in office based family medicine I don't see how you can really justify wearing scrubs. And same with a lot of the other office based specialties. Again you don't have to justify anything and you can do whatever you want but to me it's just as easy to wear slacks and a dress shirt. At least it's real clothes that I can wear to other things and look like a normal person if I go out into public in my work attire.

I don't wear a jacket or tie or a white coat. Those are the things that would be cumbersome or uncomfortable in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
                      Here in office based family medicine I don't see how you can really justify wearing scrubs. And same with a lot of the other office based specialties. Again you don't have to justify anything and you can do whatever you want but to me it's just as easy to wear slacks and a dress shirt. At least it's real clothes that I can wear to other things and look like a normal person if I go out into public in my work attire.

I don't wear a jacket or tie or a white coat. Those are the things that would be cumbersome or uncomfortable in my mind.
                      I tend to agree. Scrubs aren't particularly more comfortable than slacks etc. Easier to launder sure. I guess if you want to wear tennis shoes?

Comment

Originally posted by childay View Post

I tend to agree. Scrubs aren't particularly more comfortable than slacks etc. Easier to launder sure. I guess if you want to wear tennis shoes?
                        Hospital scrubs arent maybe, but any other branded versions certainly are. I love my scrubs they are a joy to wear. I dont wear them out but have worn the pants when traveling due to comfort.

I think the running shoes idea is a good one, I am not wearing dress shoes if I dont have to.

Nothing has to be justified, kind of a wild sentiment that you'd need to dress at a certain arbitrary business office level as if it pertained to the job. Ties are gross and unhygienic as are white coats. Hate white coats, hot annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaphod View Post

Hospital scrubs arent maybe, but any other branded versions certainly are. I love my scrubs they are a joy to wear. I dont wear them out but have worn the pants when traveling due to comfort.

I think the running shoes idea is a good one, I am not wearing dress shoes if I dont have to.

Nothing has to be justified, kind of a wild sentiment that you'd need to dress at a certain arbitrary business office level as if it pertained to the job. Ties are gross and unhygienic as are white coats. Hate white coats, hot annoying.
                          I have never delved into the brand name scrubs so I cannot speak from experience. But I am perfectly comfortable at work in my current attire.

My dress shoes are probably more comfortable than my running shoes.

There are a lot of functions in life that require my business casual appearance so my modest amount of work clothes double for those functions. It is not a far stretch to throw on a tie and jacket to basically round out any other fancy function that I would go to on a regular basis. But who am I joking I try to avoid fancy functions like the plague.

I completely agree with you I'm ties and white coat. My wife is a pharmacist and wears a white coat just to stay warm. She also likes the extra pockets.

I will say over my career I have heard several women makes similar arguments for warmth and pockets but I have never found that necessary as a man. My clothes are plenty warm and I have a plethora of pockets.

Comment

Under the current conditions is a different question. Masks required, temperature taken before entry, answer the Covid questions.

Scrubs are office attire. Still using the markers for 6ft spacing. Patients basically use on foot to step over and handover paperwork and credit card for payment. Reception area seats are spaced or taped off to enforce the spacing requirements. A lot of physicians are wearing wild socks to express their individualism.

The ironic part, docs and MA’s weren’t wearing masks. Everyone else was required. I think they put them on outside of their domain. Hospitals, practices and clinics have their own sets of rules. You may find scrubs are required.

Comment

Originally posted by oocyte_ View Post
                              I'm a woman in residency who will be starting my first job out of residency and I've been wearing scrubs for 3 years. Prior to that I had 0 fashion sense and just wore button downs with black slacks. How can I look more stylish but professional on the job? What do you all wear to work (outpatient clinic)? Thanks!!
                              Hope I am considered an old curmudgeon and not a male chauvinist.

I will presume you are young. This is your first job. You want to make an impression on your patients and have your advice taken seriously. I suspect that you will also be having nurses, med assistants, phlebotomists, nurse practitioners and PA in your office. And many, if not all, will be wearing scrubs.

Some new patients will be confused who you are. Are you a nurse ( sad, but there is still a stereotype among certain segments on gender roles) or a doc. To dispel any confusion dress professionally for a few years till you are well established and then you can wear what you want.

Obvious;y this may not be suitable if you are an OB-GYN or in a surgical specialty.

If this advice is not suitable, throw it in the nearest trashcan.

Comment

Originally posted by Nysoz View Post

I dressed up briefly when I started my first job. I then realized I was the “boss” and could do whatever I wanted. Scrubs every day after that.
                                same here

Comment

Working...
                                X