Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disability insurance pregnancy exclusion

Hello,
    This is my very first post and I hope this is the appropriate forum for it. I just recently purchased the “Financial Wellness and Burnout Prevention” course from WCI where I learned about the importance of having your own disability insurance.

I used one of the links in this website to find an independent agent. This morning, I received approval from Standard for $10k/month benefit. It comes out to $482.93 monthly premium. However, I was told that I have one medical exclusion - any complications of pregnancy or childbirth. And the reason is due to my history of infertility treatment.

As a background, I am a 36 yo healthy female working as a hospitalist in California. I went through IVF in 2018. I had pre-eclampsia and had several post-partum complications (post-partum hemorrhage and severe sepsis).

I just would like to know if any of the females out here have had similar exclusions to their coverage. As I am healthy and relatively young, I feel like it would be pregnancy- and childbirth-related complications that would be the most likely causes of disability that I would have.

Also, the sticker shock is real and I’m wondering if this price is fair.

Thank you in advance for your input.

That seems high on the cost for your age, I would suggest looking around as you might trim $1k or more off the cost. As for the exclusion that is pretty much the way it would be handled across the board. If you are going through IVF, had complications or even a C-section, you are going to end up with an exclusion.
    Last edited by Scott at MD Financial Services; 08-25-2021, 04:57 PM.
    Scott Nelson-Archer, CLU, ChFC
    303-953-0263 Direct / [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Scott at MD Financial Services View Post
      That seems high on the cost for your age, I would suggest looking around as you might trim $1k or more off the cost. As for the exclusion that is pretty much the way it would be handled across the board. If you are going through IVF, had complications or even a C-section, you are going to end up with an exclusion.
      I have to up my coverage. I have a future purchase option rider and got Ameritas at 28 in residency. Currently 85 a month for 5500.

would doubling the coverages just double the cost typically?

also, my base salary is only 290 k as hospitalist but pick up lots of shifts to bring my income closer to 450-500.

do I just wait for taxes to insure myself at that higher income? Moonlighting a different job ok?

Comment

It will probably be more than doubling since you doubling the benefit but that is because you are older now so the cost per dollar is more. Any and all income can be counted. At $290k you can probably get about $11k-$12k, at $450k-$500k then it probably is $17-$18.5k of capacity. You should have options each year so my theory is buy what you need and have options for what you might want.

As a side note my assumption is you bought on a GSI plan to get those rates with Ameritas so you may have some limits on how much more benefit you can get at that particular cost structure so look carefully at it and if you want a second set of eyes on it then ask a rep to do a quick policy review to make sure you have what you think you have.
        Hope that helps.
        Scott Nelson-Archer, CLU, ChFC
        303-953-0263 Direct / [email protected]

Comment

Working...
        X