X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adventure
    replied
    Originally posted by Yowza View Post
    My daughter and I just finished the audible version of "Black Man In a White Coat" by Damon Tweedy. I'm now looking for a similar type of novel (like a newer House of God) but from a female author. Any recommendations? She's a rising senior in high school set on medicine and I'm trying to help provide some perspective for experiences she may encounter.

Thanks in advance!
    I'd suggest she sign up for twitter (tiktok has the same), and follow a bunch of woman physicians, and prolific interns, etc. Also see if she can shadow some folks, both in and out of clinical roles. It'll help teach how to find signal to noise, and hear a lot more real world stories than just 1 book. May alos lead to some networking, which is also a good skill.

Leave a comment:

• Yowza
    replied
    Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
    Hopefully she understands the importance of keeping her options open.
    As one who is encouraging her to consider engineering, computer science among other options, I can assure you if she's not it's not from lack of parental effort on my part.

Leave a comment:

• CordMcNally
    replied
    Hopefully she understands the importance of keeping her options open.

Leave a comment:

• Yowza
    replied
    Originally posted by Anne View Post
    A Not Entirely Benign Procedure by Perri Klass—I read it over 20 years ago, don’t remember details other than I liked it. Perri Klass has other books she’s written since that also look pretty good if you like her writing style.
    Thanks, ordered a copy!

Leave a comment:

• Anne
    replied
    A Not Entirely Benign Procedure by Perri Klass—I read it over 20 years ago, don’t remember details other than I liked it. Perri Klass has other books she’s written since that also look pretty good if you like her writing style.

Leave a comment:

• Kamban
    replied
    Your daughter is more sensible.

Mine watched Gray's anatomy for inspiration :-(

What a c**p show but at least it taught her some medical terminology.

Leave a comment:

• Yowza
    started a topic Seeking recommendations for books for female premed

Seeking recommendations for books for female premed

My daughter and I just finished the audible version of "Black Man In a White Coat" by Damon Tweedy. I'm now looking for a similar type of novel (like a newer House of God) but from a female author. Any recommendations? She's a rising senior in high school set on medicine and I'm trying to help provide some perspective for experiences she may encounter.

Thanks in advance!
Working...
X