Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

frivolous female spending

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hank
    replied
    Oh boy, this article was bad back in 2019 and hasn't improved with age. Thread consigned to the dustbin of history.

    Leave a comment:


  • resident_1
    replied
    Has anyone seen Dr. Purse subgroup of PMG group on facebook. Spending at its worst.

    Leave a comment:


  • Emma Li
    replied
    I sometimes feel that people, not just women, have uncontrollable spending when they feel they have no control over other aspects of their lives. It's important to look at the root cause.

    Leave a comment:


  • mkintx
    replied


    I feel as if I see somewhat frequent commentary on this site about what wives spend money on. Does this ring true for the rest of you?
    Click to expand...


    So, uh, sounds like a yes.


    Is it problematic?
    Click to expand...


    And another yes.

    Leave a comment:


  • Panscan
    replied
    hah sorry peds taught me the trick about highlighting and hitting quote, I have to start doing that

    Leave a comment:


  • Lithium
    replied




























    The title of this post and also its placed under “women’s issues” section is not pleasant to see on this forum.  Its insulting to our female colleagues and spouses. Not sure why it had to be posted, and also discussed so heavily.
    Click to expand…


    and after reading the article what did your wife have to say about it?
    Click to expand…


    the article doesn’t do anything to approve or disapprove a viewpoint. saying something is a myth doesn’t do anything, you have to prove that.

    I just read it again and the only thing from a data perspective it applies is the concept that people view women commonly as frivolous spenders. pretty crappy article TBH

    like I said I think both spend frivolously, but I know of numerous guys grinding away at work because their wife likes blowing through money. I’m sure the opposite scenario exists but I imagine it is less common. is it more likely for the wife to be driving a crappy car and clothes, while husband is in armani suits and driving a luxury car, or the opposite scenario?

     

     
    Click to expand…


    Clearly you just don’t have much of an imagination. Or perhaps you just don’t have many female friends who give you the details of their financial situation. I’m guessing you don’t spend much time on female dominant financial forums either. Men and women are equally capable of overspending on nonsense. What qualifies as nonsense is generally in the eye of the beholder.
    Click to expand…


    those things are irrelevant to fact that in an article talking about a possible myth, the article did nothing to actually address if there is one or not.  crap article with no substance.

    again I didn’t say it’s impossible for men to spend frivolously and that both do it, but if you find a family where one spouse spends more than other on luxuries and extra stuff, I’m going to bet it’s the woman majority of time. See a lot of typical doctor families where dad is driving a beat up camry or civic from the 2000s and mom is driving nice new luxury car. etc

    if you want to prove something that is contrary to the standard perception, which is the standard perception for a reason, then you need actual data, not feelings

    how many threads are there about wife wanting something and people respond “happy wife happy life” <- always hated that sentiment, what a joke
    Click to expand…


    Why is your assumption that it’s always the woman? You just keep sharing your personal experience with no data to back it up or any apparent desire to question your belief. There are many reasons stereotypes exist, not because they contain truth. But carry on in your persistent sexist stereotypes.

     
    Click to expand…


    when have I said that? have you read the thread? I have multiple posts saying that both genders commonly overspend.
    Click to expand…


    Do you really need me to quote you back to yourself? You repeatedly state that most of the time it’s women,  in your experience. (Apologies for saying you ALWAYS say it’s the woman,  you just say the vast majority of the time). Your experience is going to be limited and biased and when I point that out by asking how many close female friends you have that you discuss finances with,  or hang out on women majority financial forums- where you might just possibly see a different viewpoint– you discount that as irrelevant.

    “but if you find a family where one spouse spends more than other on luxuries and extra stuff, I’m going to bet it’s the woman majority of time. ”

     

    “but I know of numerous guys grinding away at work because their wife likes blowing through money. I’m sure the opposite scenario exists but I imagine it is less common.”

    I’m happy to stop arguing over this though. It isn’t going anywhere productive.

     

     

     
    Click to expand…


    its strange you bring up the fact I haven’t provided data, but then you say if I had a different crowd my anecdotes would be different. so do you want data or anecdotes?

    note how I haven’t called you any names, demeaned you, labeled you anything, I just don’t agree with your viewpoint
    Click to expand...


    I just wanted to add another quote box.

    Leave a comment:


  • Panscan
    replied

























    The title of this post and also its placed under “women’s issues” section is not pleasant to see on this forum.  Its insulting to our female colleagues and spouses. Not sure why it had to be posted, and also discussed so heavily.
    Click to expand…


    and after reading the article what did your wife have to say about it?
    Click to expand…


    the article doesn’t do anything to approve or disapprove a viewpoint. saying something is a myth doesn’t do anything, you have to prove that.

    I just read it again and the only thing from a data perspective it applies is the concept that people view women commonly as frivolous spenders. pretty crappy article TBH

    like I said I think both spend frivolously, but I know of numerous guys grinding away at work because their wife likes blowing through money. I’m sure the opposite scenario exists but I imagine it is less common. is it more likely for the wife to be driving a crappy car and clothes, while husband is in armani suits and driving a luxury car, or the opposite scenario?

     

     
    Click to expand…


    Clearly you just don’t have much of an imagination. Or perhaps you just don’t have many female friends who give you the details of their financial situation. I’m guessing you don’t spend much time on female dominant financial forums either. Men and women are equally capable of overspending on nonsense. What qualifies as nonsense is generally in the eye of the beholder.
    Click to expand…


    those things are irrelevant to fact that in an article talking about a possible myth, the article did nothing to actually address if there is one or not.  crap article with no substance.

    again I didn’t say it’s impossible for men to spend frivolously and that both do it, but if you find a family where one spouse spends more than other on luxuries and extra stuff, I’m going to bet it’s the woman majority of time. See a lot of typical doctor families where dad is driving a beat up camry or civic from the 2000s and mom is driving nice new luxury car. etc

    if you want to prove something that is contrary to the standard perception, which is the standard perception for a reason, then you need actual data, not feelings

    how many threads are there about wife wanting something and people respond “happy wife happy life” <- always hated that sentiment, what a joke
    Click to expand…


    Why is your assumption that it’s always the woman? You just keep sharing your personal experience with no data to back it up or any apparent desire to question your belief. There are many reasons stereotypes exist, not because they contain truth. But carry on in your persistent sexist stereotypes.

     
    Click to expand…


    when have I said that? have you read the thread? I have multiple posts saying that both genders commonly overspend.
    Click to expand…


    Do you really need me to quote you back to yourself? You repeatedly state that most of the time it’s women,  in your experience. (Apologies for saying you ALWAYS say it’s the woman,  you just say the vast majority of the time). Your experience is going to be limited and biased and when I point that out by asking how many close female friends you have that you discuss finances with,  or hang out on women majority financial forums- where you might just possibly see a different viewpoint– you discount that as irrelevant.

    “but if you find a family where one spouse spends more than other on luxuries and extra stuff, I’m going to bet it’s the woman majority of time. ”

     

    “but I know of numerous guys grinding away at work because their wife likes blowing through money. I’m sure the opposite scenario exists but I imagine it is less common.”

    I’m happy to stop arguing over this though. It isn’t going anywhere productive.

     

     

     
    Click to expand...


    its strange you bring up the fact I haven't provided data, but then you say if I had a different crowd my anecdotes would be different. so do you want data or anecdotes?

    note how I haven't called you any names, demeaned you, labeled you anything, I just don't agree with your viewpoint

    Leave a comment:


  • Panscan
    replied
    I never said vast majority, I said majority. How can you have productive discussions when you can't even accurately characterize what the other person said.

    Words have meanings

    Leave a comment:


  • Lordosis
    replied
    It was probably mentioned before but whichever spouse has more free time might influence spending.  It is hard to test drive luxury cars and check out fancy watches while I am at work.

    Leave a comment:


  • Doc Spouse
    replied
    I said it at the beginning of this thread, but the article wasn't well-written in my opinion.  There's been plenty of studies done that show we save and spend based on many factors. There may indeed be a gender-specific influence, whether that's because historically the male has been the primary earner (though that's rapidly changing), or because of some deeper psychological/biological trigger, who knows?  It's an interesting topic for discussion and there's been some gems here.

    Regarding the thread being locked -  The mods watch all of the popular threads closely, but it hasn't gotten out of hand, yet.  I would caution against making direct insults/calling names against people who have differing opinions.  Make your arguments, back it up with data (if you want them to be taken seriously), but let's leave personal attacks at the door.

     

    Leave a comment:


  • burritos
    replied




    Here here little children I’ll settle this one: anything fatlittlepig spends money on is not frivolous and anything else anyone else spends money on is frivolous.
    Click to expand...


    Don't we need people to spend money so our capital assets(ie:stocks trying to make profit from people spending) go up? If everyone goes full on FIRE frugal spending, market assets collapse and no one gets be on FIRE.

    Leave a comment:


  • Tim
    replied


    Let’s be honest with ourselves and realize that even the “poorest” of us here has a lot more discretionary income than the average person, so many of quibbles about purchases with each other will all be seen as frivolous spending to an outsider regardless of sex.
    Click to expand...


    All in favor of sex, say aye!

    Or is that a taboo topic as well or considered "frivolous"?

    Leave a comment:


  • Hatton
    replied
    Frivolity is is the eye of the beholder.

    Leave a comment:


  • fatlittlepig
    replied
    Here here little children I’ll settle this one: anything fatlittlepig spends money on is not frivolous and anything else anyone else spends money on is frivolous.

    Leave a comment:


  • wideopenspaces
    replied






















    The title of this post and also its placed under “women’s issues” section is not pleasant to see on this forum.  Its insulting to our female colleagues and spouses. Not sure why it had to be posted, and also discussed so heavily.
    Click to expand…


    and after reading the article what did your wife have to say about it?
    Click to expand…


    the article doesn’t do anything to approve or disapprove a viewpoint. saying something is a myth doesn’t do anything, you have to prove that.

    I just read it again and the only thing from a data perspective it applies is the concept that people view women commonly as frivolous spenders. pretty crappy article TBH

    like I said I think both spend frivolously, but I know of numerous guys grinding away at work because their wife likes blowing through money. I’m sure the opposite scenario exists but I imagine it is less common. is it more likely for the wife to be driving a crappy car and clothes, while husband is in armani suits and driving a luxury car, or the opposite scenario?

     

     
    Click to expand…


    Clearly you just don’t have much of an imagination. Or perhaps you just don’t have many female friends who give you the details of their financial situation. I’m guessing you don’t spend much time on female dominant financial forums either. Men and women are equally capable of overspending on nonsense. What qualifies as nonsense is generally in the eye of the beholder.
    Click to expand…


    those things are irrelevant to fact that in an article talking about a possible myth, the article did nothing to actually address if there is one or not.  crap article with no substance.

    again I didn’t say it’s impossible for men to spend frivolously and that both do it, but if you find a family where one spouse spends more than other on luxuries and extra stuff, I’m going to bet it’s the woman majority of time. See a lot of typical doctor families where dad is driving a beat up camry or civic from the 2000s and mom is driving nice new luxury car. etc

    if you want to prove something that is contrary to the standard perception, which is the standard perception for a reason, then you need actual data, not feelings

    how many threads are there about wife wanting something and people respond “happy wife happy life” <- always hated that sentiment, what a joke
    Click to expand…


    Why is your assumption that it’s always the woman? You just keep sharing your personal experience with no data to back it up or any apparent desire to question your belief. There are many reasons stereotypes exist, not because they contain truth. But carry on in your persistent sexist stereotypes.

     
    Click to expand…


    when have I said that? have you read the thread? I have multiple posts saying that both genders commonly overspend.
    Click to expand...


    Do you really need me to quote you back to yourself? You repeatedly state that most of the time it's women,  in your experience. (Apologies for saying you ALWAYS say it's the woman,  you just say the vast majority of the time). Your experience is going to be limited and biased and when I point that out by asking how many close female friends you have that you discuss finances with,  or hang out on women majority financial forums- where you might just possibly see a different viewpoint-- you discount that as irrelevant.

    "but if you find a family where one spouse spends more than other on luxuries and extra stuff, I’m going to bet it’s the woman majority of time. "

     

    "but I know of numerous guys grinding away at work because their wife likes blowing through money. I’m sure the opposite scenario exists but I imagine it is less common."

    I'm happy to stop arguing over this though. It isn't going anywhere productive.

     

     

     

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X