Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was probably mentioned before but whichever spouse has more free time might influence spending.  It is hard to test drive luxury cars and check out fancy watches while I am at work.

Comment

I never said vast majority, I said majority. How can you have productive discussions when you can't even accurately characterize what the other person said.

Words have meanings

Comment

The title of this post and also its placed under “women’s issues” section is not pleasant to see on this forum.  Its insulting to our female colleagues and spouses. Not sure why it had to be posted, and also discussed so heavily.
        Click to expand…

and after reading the article what did your wife have to say about it?
        Click to expand…

the article doesn’t do anything to approve or disapprove a viewpoint. saying something is a myth doesn’t do anything, you have to prove that.

I just read it again and the only thing from a data perspective it applies is the concept that people view women commonly as frivolous spenders. pretty crappy article TBH

like I said I think both spend frivolously, but I know of numerous guys grinding away at work because their wife likes blowing through money. I’m sure the opposite scenario exists but I imagine it is less common. is it more likely for the wife to be driving a crappy car and clothes, while husband is in armani suits and driving a luxury car, or the opposite scenario?

Click to expand…

Clearly you just don’t have much of an imagination. Or perhaps you just don’t have many female friends who give you the details of their financial situation. I’m guessing you don’t spend much time on female dominant financial forums either. Men and women are equally capable of overspending on nonsense. What qualifies as nonsense is generally in the eye of the beholder.
        Click to expand…

those things are irrelevant to fact that in an article talking about a possible myth, the article did nothing to actually address if there is one or not.  crap article with no substance.

again I didn’t say it’s impossible for men to spend frivolously and that both do it, but if you find a family where one spouse spends more than other on luxuries and extra stuff, I’m going to bet it’s the woman majority of time. See a lot of typical doctor families where dad is driving a beat up camry or civic from the 2000s and mom is driving nice new luxury car. etc

if you want to prove something that is contrary to the standard perception, which is the standard perception for a reason, then you need actual data, not feelings

how many threads are there about wife wanting something and people respond “happy wife happy life” <- always hated that sentiment, what a joke
        Click to expand…

Why is your assumption that it’s always the woman? You just keep sharing your personal experience with no data to back it up or any apparent desire to question your belief. There are many reasons stereotypes exist, not because they contain truth. But carry on in your persistent sexist stereotypes.

Click to expand…

when have I said that? have you read the thread? I have multiple posts saying that both genders commonly overspend.
        Click to expand…

Do you really need me to quote you back to yourself? You repeatedly state that most of the time it’s women,  in your experience. (Apologies for saying you ALWAYS say it’s the woman,  you just say the vast majority of the time). Your experience is going to be limited and biased and when I point that out by asking how many close female friends you have that you discuss finances with,  or hang out on women majority financial forums- where you might just possibly see a different viewpoint– you discount that as irrelevant.

“but if you find a family where one spouse spends more than other on luxuries and extra stuff, I’m going to bet it’s the woman majority of time. ”

“but I know of numerous guys grinding away at work because their wife likes blowing through money. I’m sure the opposite scenario exists but I imagine it is less common.”

I’m happy to stop arguing over this though. It isn’t going anywhere productive.

its strange you bring up the fact I haven't provided data, but then you say if I had a different crowd my anecdotes would be different. so do you want data or anecdotes?

note how I haven't called you any names, demeaned you, labeled you anything, I just don't agree with your viewpoint

Comment

The title of this post and also its placed under “women’s issues” section is not pleasant to see on this forum.  Its insulting to our female colleagues and spouses. Not sure why it had to be posted, and also discussed so heavily.
          Click to expand…

and after reading the article what did your wife have to say about it?
          Click to expand…

the article doesn’t do anything to approve or disapprove a viewpoint. saying something is a myth doesn’t do anything, you have to prove that.

I just read it again and the only thing from a data perspective it applies is the concept that people view women commonly as frivolous spenders. pretty crappy article TBH

like I said I think both spend frivolously, but I know of numerous guys grinding away at work because their wife likes blowing through money. I’m sure the opposite scenario exists but I imagine it is less common. is it more likely for the wife to be driving a crappy car and clothes, while husband is in armani suits and driving a luxury car, or the opposite scenario?

Click to expand…

Clearly you just don’t have much of an imagination. Or perhaps you just don’t have many female friends who give you the details of their financial situation. I’m guessing you don’t spend much time on female dominant financial forums either. Men and women are equally capable of overspending on nonsense. What qualifies as nonsense is generally in the eye of the beholder.
          Click to expand…

those things are irrelevant to fact that in an article talking about a possible myth, the article did nothing to actually address if there is one or not.  crap article with no substance.

again I didn’t say it’s impossible for men to spend frivolously and that both do it, but if you find a family where one spouse spends more than other on luxuries and extra stuff, I’m going to bet it’s the woman majority of time. See a lot of typical doctor families where dad is driving a beat up camry or civic from the 2000s and mom is driving nice new luxury car. etc

if you want to prove something that is contrary to the standard perception, which is the standard perception for a reason, then you need actual data, not feelings

how many threads are there about wife wanting something and people respond “happy wife happy life” <- always hated that sentiment, what a joke
          Click to expand…

Why is your assumption that it’s always the woman? You just keep sharing your personal experience with no data to back it up or any apparent desire to question your belief. There are many reasons stereotypes exist, not because they contain truth. But carry on in your persistent sexist stereotypes.

Click to expand…

when have I said that? have you read the thread? I have multiple posts saying that both genders commonly overspend.
          Click to expand…

Do you really need me to quote you back to yourself? You repeatedly state that most of the time it’s women,  in your experience. (Apologies for saying you ALWAYS say it’s the woman,  you just say the vast majority of the time). Your experience is going to be limited and biased and when I point that out by asking how many close female friends you have that you discuss finances with,  or hang out on women majority financial forums- where you might just possibly see a different viewpoint– you discount that as irrelevant.

“but if you find a family where one spouse spends more than other on luxuries and extra stuff, I’m going to bet it’s the woman majority of time. ”

“but I know of numerous guys grinding away at work because their wife likes blowing through money. I’m sure the opposite scenario exists but I imagine it is less common.”

I’m happy to stop arguing over this though. It isn’t going anywhere productive.

Click to expand…

its strange you bring up the fact I haven’t provided data, but then you say if I had a different crowd my anecdotes would be different. so do you want data or anecdotes?

note how I haven’t called you any names, demeaned you, labeled you anything, I just don’t agree with your viewpoint

I just wanted to add another quote box.

Comment

hah sorry peds taught me the trick about highlighting and hitting quote, I have to start doing that

Comment

I feel as if I see somewhat frequent commentary on this site about what wives spend money on. Does this ring true for the rest of you?

So, uh, sounds like a yes.

Is it problematic?

And another yes.

Comment

I sometimes feel that people, not just women, have uncontrollable spending when they feel they have no control over other aspects of their lives. It's important to look at the root cause.

Comment

Has anyone seen Dr. Purse subgroup of PMG group on facebook. Spending at its worst.

Comment

Oh boy, this article was bad back in 2019 and hasn't improved with age. Thread consigned to the dustbin of history.

Comment

Working...
                    X