Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@EntrepreneurMD - Context matters.  And I like that most of the time here we can disagree without being disagreeable.  Watched the British debates Friday night it was quite refreshing to see an interactive lively debate with opposing viewpoints including typical UK jeering and banter yet maintaining respectful order.  We've lost that here in the 4th industrialization part of the US.

I still say that guys tend to gravitate to new shiny things - laptops, phones, watches, bikes, cars,  - that are more durable and such higher priced items; while women have more opportunities to accessorize with much tighter cycles -- lending to the illusion of a higher spend.   Likewise, with a higher durable timeline, those shiny objects 'age' over time and give the equally illusion of being spendthrift --- ignoring that a 10 year old car may still be an AMD Mercedes that was top billing at the time.

Comment

See a lot of typical doctor families where dad is driving a beat up camry or civic from the 2000s and mom is driving nice new luxury car. etc

Or is it the doc the typically spends less? Currently there are still 66% of actively working docs are male...

I go back to the "why" of spending... being the doc in the family, I want FI not to RE but to have the FU money... burn out is real and I want to be secure. My husband spends way more than me, maybe because he doesn't see the salary ever ending... Only place I really buy things is food for family (grocery).

See a lot of typical doctor families where dad is driving a beat up camry or civic from the 2000s and mom is driving nice new luxury car. etc

Think it hasn't been shut down due to the "Dead Forum" glitches occurring?

Comment

@entrepreneurmd – Context matters.  And I like that most of the time here we can disagree without being disagreeable.  Watched the British debates Friday night it was quite refreshing to see an interactive lively debate with opposing viewpoints including typical UK jeering and banter yet maintaining respectful order.  We’ve lost that here in the 4th industrialization part of the US.

I still say that guys tend to gravitate to new shiny things – laptops, phones, watches, bikes, cars,  – that are more durable and such higher priced items; while women have more opportunities to accessorize with much tighter cycles — lending to the illusion of a higher spend.   Likewise, with a higher durable timeline, those shiny objects ‘age’ over time and give the equally illusion of being spendthrift — ignoring that a 10 year old car may still be an AMD Mercedes that was top billing at the time.

You bring up shiny things. One time I commented that men tend to prefer more expensive sporty vehicle trims and that was scrutinized as sexist to the point of removal. Really? These comments appear more benign to you?  Men are lazy gamblers? Women buy too much unnecessary junk? What context are you referring to? People here explicitly saying they are offended are being disagreeable.

Comment

What I’ve noticed is that doctors regardless of gender spend too much at least from my perspective

Comment

The world has gotten so sensitive lately.
            Or maybe a few loud people did...

Comment

No, nothing offensive:

Correct.

Comment

I can write a crap article about the myth of the Easter bunny and you can attack the article as crap but it still doesn’t mean the Easter bunny is real. I agree the article wasn’t well fleshed out (there probably was a word limit) but the ideas weren’t crap.

Panscan, all you are doing is announcing your feelings that women spend more than men without any real data. I recall many threads ago I asked you for data on this and you provided articles that were also crap and easy to pick apart.

You can find families where the male is the bigger spender and families where the female is. I have many friends where husband drives the spending, on things like bikes, tech, cars (especially the ones who race as a hobby) while the wife has simple tastes.
                There are also both males and females who are overly cheap. We see that on here too.
                I have seen studies that suggest that women on average may be better at investing than men, particularly the behavioral aspects.

Happy spouse, happy house.

sure? but the article is also doing nothing for the case of "women not being frivolous spenders"

an idea is an idea. idk what a crap idea mean in this context. they just did a poor job showing their idea.

stereotypes exist for reasons. they become stereotypes because there is an element of truth

I have absolutely 0 recollection of some past time of you asking me for data regarding spending? no idea

Comment

The title of this post and also its placed under “women’s issues” section is not pleasant to see on this forum.  Its insulting to our female colleagues and spouses. Not sure why it had to be posted, and also discussed so heavily.
                  Click to expand…

and after reading the article what did your wife have to say about it?
                  Click to expand…

the article doesn’t do anything to approve or disapprove a viewpoint. saying something is a myth doesn’t do anything, you have to prove that.

I just read it again and the only thing from a data perspective it applies is the concept that people view women commonly as frivolous spenders. pretty crappy article TBH

like I said I think both spend frivolously, but I know of numerous guys grinding away at work because their wife likes blowing through money. I’m sure the opposite scenario exists but I imagine it is less common. is it more likely for the wife to be driving a crappy car and clothes, while husband is in armani suits and driving a luxury car, or the opposite scenario?

Click to expand…

Clearly you just don’t have much of an imagination. Or perhaps you just don’t have many female friends who give you the details of their financial situation. I’m guessing you don’t spend much time on female dominant financial forums either. Men and women are equally capable of overspending on nonsense. What qualifies as nonsense is generally in the eye of the beholder.
                  Click to expand…

those things are irrelevant to fact that in an article talking about a possible myth, the article did nothing to actually address if there is one or not.  crap article with no substance.

again I didn’t say it’s impossible for men to spend frivolously and that both do it, but if you find a family where one spouse spends more than other on luxuries and extra stuff, I’m going to bet it’s the woman majority of time. See a lot of typical doctor families where dad is driving a beat up camry or civic from the 2000s and mom is driving nice new luxury car. etc

if you want to prove something that is contrary to the standard perception, which is the standard perception for a reason, then you need actual data, not feelings

how many threads are there about wife wanting something and people respond “happy wife happy life” <- always hated that sentiment, what a joke

Why is your assumption that it's always the woman? You just keep sharing your personal experience with no data to back it up or any apparent desire to question your belief. There are many reasons stereotypes exist, not because they contain truth. But carry on in your persistent sexist stereotypes.

Comment

The title of this post and also its placed under “women’s issues” section is not pleasant to see on this forum.  Its insulting to our female colleagues and spouses. Not sure why it had to be posted, and also discussed so heavily.
                    Click to expand…

Click to expand…

the article doesn’t do anything to approve or disapprove a viewpoint. saying something is a myth doesn’t do anything, you have to prove that.

I just read it again and the only thing from a data perspective it applies is the concept that people view women commonly as frivolous spenders. pretty crappy article TBH

like I said I think both spend frivolously, but I know of numerous guys grinding away at work because their wife likes blowing through money. I’m sure the opposite scenario exists but I imagine it is less common. is it more likely for the wife to be driving a crappy car and clothes, while husband is in armani suits and driving a luxury car, or the opposite scenario?

Click to expand…

Clearly you just don’t have much of an imagination. Or perhaps you just don’t have many female friends who give you the details of their financial situation. I’m guessing you don’t spend much time on female dominant financial forums either. Men and women are equally capable of overspending on nonsense. What qualifies as nonsense is generally in the eye of the beholder.
                    Click to expand…

those things are irrelevant to fact that in an article talking about a possible myth, the article did nothing to actually address if there is one or not.  crap article with no substance.

again I didn’t say it’s impossible for men to spend frivolously and that both do it, but if you find a family where one spouse spends more than other on luxuries and extra stuff, I’m going to bet it’s the woman majority of time. See a lot of typical doctor families where dad is driving a beat up camry or civic from the 2000s and mom is driving nice new luxury car. etc

if you want to prove something that is contrary to the standard perception, which is the standard perception for a reason, then you need actual data, not feelings

how many threads are there about wife wanting something and people respond “happy wife happy life” <- always hated that sentiment, what a joke
                    Click to expand…

Why is your assumption that it’s always the woman? You just keep sharing your personal experience with no data to back it up or any apparent desire to question your belief. There are many reasons stereotypes exist, not because they contain truth. But carry on in your persistent sexist stereotypes.

when have I said that? have you read the thread? I have multiple posts saying that both genders commonly overspend.

Comment

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Why is your assumption that it’s always the woman? You just keep sharing your personal experience with no data to back it up or any apparent desire to question your belief. There are many reasons stereotypes exist, not because they contain truth. But carry on in your persistent sexist stereotypes.

Click to expand…

when have I said that? have you read the thread? I have multiple posts saying that both genders commonly overspend.

Do you really need me to quote you back to yourself? You repeatedly state that most of the time it's women,  in your experience. (Apologies for saying you ALWAYS say it's the woman,  you just say the vast majority of the time). Your experience is going to be limited and biased and when I point that out by asking how many close female friends you have that you discuss finances with,  or hang out on women majority financial forums- where you might just possibly see a different viewpoint-- you discount that as irrelevant.

"but if you find a family where one spouse spends more than other on luxuries and extra stuff, I’m going to bet it’s the woman majority of time. "

"but I know of numerous guys grinding away at work because their wife likes blowing through money. I’m sure the opposite scenario exists but I imagine it is less common."

I'm happy to stop arguing over this though. It isn't going anywhere productive.

Comment

Here here little children I’ll settle this one: anything fatlittlepig spends money on is not frivolous and anything else anyone else spends money on is frivolous.

Comment

Frivolity is is the eye of the beholder.

Comment

Let’s be honest with ourselves and realize that even the “poorest” of us here has a lot more discretionary income than the average person, so many of quibbles about purchases with each other will all be seen as frivolous spending to an outsider regardless of sex.

All in favor of sex, say aye!

Or is that a taboo topic as well or considered "frivolous"?

Comment

Here here little children I’ll settle this one: anything fatlittlepig spends money on is not frivolous and anything else anyone else spends money on is frivolous.

Don't we need people to spend money so our capital assets(ie:stocks trying to make profit from people spending) go up? If everyone goes full on FIRE frugal spending, market assets collapse and no one gets be on FIRE.

Comment

I said it at the beginning of this thread, but the article wasn't well-written in my opinion.  There's been plenty of studies done that show we save and spend based on many factors. There may indeed be a gender-specific influence, whether that's because historically the male has been the primary earner (though that's rapidly changing), or because of some deeper psychological/biological trigger, who knows?  It's an interesting topic for discussion and there's been some gems here.

Regarding the thread being locked -  The mods watch all of the popular threads closely, but it hasn't gotten out of hand, yet.  I would caution against making direct insults/calling names against people who have differing opinions.  Make your arguments, back it up with data (if you want them to be taken seriously), but let's leave personal attacks at the door.

I should have been a pair of ragged claws. Scuttling across the floors of silent seas.

Comment

Working...
                                X