Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The title of this post and also its placed under “women’s issues” section is not pleasant to see on this forum.  Its insulting to our female colleagues and spouses. Not sure why it had to be posted, and also discussed so heavily.

and after reading the article what did your wife have to say about it?

Comment

The title of this post and also its placed under “women’s issues” section is not pleasant to see on this forum.  Its insulting to our female colleagues and spouses. Not sure why it had to be posted, and also discussed so heavily.
      Click to expand…

the article doesn't do anything to approve or disapprove a viewpoint. saying something is a myth doesn't do anything, you have to prove that.

I just read it again and the only thing from a data perspective it applies is the concept that people view women commonly as frivolous spenders. pretty crappy article TBH

like I said I think both spend frivolously, but I know of numerous guys grinding away at work because their wife likes blowing through money. I'm sure the opposite scenario exists but I imagine it is less common. is it more likely for the wife to be driving a crappy car and clothes, while husband is in armani suits and driving a luxury car, or the opposite scenario?

Comment

There is a double standard for men and women, on many levels, when it comes to how society views our lifestyle and financial decisions. Reality doesn’t always match up, but the myth/stereotypes are there. If it’s not discussed people don’t examine their own thoughts and preconceived notions. I wish the discussion had gone deeper but such is life.

+1

Comment

Resident_1, I can see your viewpoint but I am a female colleague and spouse and was not offended by the topic, I thought it was interesting. I may be wrong but I think the OP is female too. Did you read the actual NYT article? It’s about the *myth* of frivolous female spending.

There is a double standard for men and women, on many levels, when it comes to how society views our lifestyle and financial decisions. Reality doesn’t always match up, but the myth/stereotypes are there. If it’s not discussed people don’t examine their own thoughts and preconceived notions. I wish the discussion had gone deeper but such is life.

While there are no official "men doctors spend frivolously", it can be inferred multitudes of "Can I afford this car' or "Can I afford this house" threads.

Comment

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

the article doesn’t do anything to approve or disapprove a viewpoint. saying something is a myth doesn’t do anything, you have to prove that.

I just read it again and the only thing from a data perspective it applies is the concept that people view women commonly as frivolous spenders. pretty crappy article TBH

like I said I think both spend frivolously, but I know of numerous guys grinding away at work because their wife likes blowing through money. I’m sure the opposite scenario exists but I imagine it is less common. is it more likely for the wife to be driving a crappy car and clothes, while husband is in armani suits and driving a luxury car, or the opposite scenario?

Clearly you just don't have much of an imagination. Or perhaps you just don't have many female friends who give you the details of their financial situation. I'm guessing you don't spend much time on female dominant financial forums either. Men and women are equally capable of overspending on nonsense. What qualifies as nonsense is generally in the eye of the beholder.

Comment

Made it out of REI and the Container Store with my wife 2 hours of window shopping with only $20 spent. Then "we" spent $50 at the pumpkin patch and $70 at see's candies.

Comment

If money is fungible, I wasn’t aware that it was capable of a gender identity. For all I know, she could identify as a he and that leaves me and they both confused which stereotypes are appropriate and which are sexist and offensive.
                The only thing I know is my wife and I just passed on buying tickets to the World Series, frivolous.
                At midnight my daughter called and informed me that she was going to “dress me appropriately”.
                My Bergman Gold Jersey wasn’t enough? Face paint maybe? I tried to talk her out of it.
                We are going was the reply, tickets already bought!
                Frivolous! I feel it’s important to support her effort to spend close to $2k next Wednesday evening. Ridiculous, but what should parents do? Might need to drop some coin on an Altuve jersey instead. Suggestions welcome for sensitivity training or apparel.
                There are real issues. Reasonable discourse isn’t unreasonable. Some feel restricting is the correct solution. More light is my preference. That isn’t intended as political, I told her the tickets were not only frivolous, but stupid. Her response? So what, we are going.
                That settled that.

Comment

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

the article doesn’t do anything to approve or disapprove a viewpoint. saying something is a myth doesn’t do anything, you have to prove that.

like I said I think both spend frivolously, but I know of numerous guys grinding away at work because their wife likes blowing through money. I’m sure the opposite scenario exists but I imagine it is less common. is it more likely for the wife to be driving a crappy car and clothes, while husband is in armani suits and driving a luxury car, or the opposite scenario?

Click to expand…

Clearly you just don’t have much of an imagination. Or perhaps you just don’t have many female friends who give you the details of their financial situation. I’m guessing you don’t spend much time on female dominant financial forums either. Men and women are equally capable of overspending on nonsense. What qualifies as nonsense is generally in the eye of the beholder.

those things are irrelevant to fact that in an article talking about a possible myth, the article did nothing to actually address if there is one or not.  crap article with no substance.

again I didn't say it's impossible for men to spend frivolously and that both do it, but if you find a family where one spouse spends more than other on luxuries and extra stuff, I'm going to bet it's the woman majority of time. See a lot of typical doctor families where dad is driving a beat up camry or civic from the 2000s and mom is driving nice new luxury car. etc

if you want to prove something that is contrary to the standard perception, which is the standard perception for a reason, then you need actual data, not feelings

how many threads are there about wife wanting something and people respond "happy wife happy life" <- always hated that sentiment, what a joke

Comment

Do you prefer:
                    It's cheaper to keep her?

Comment

I can write a crap article about the myth of the Easter bunny and you can attack the article as crap but it still doesn’t mean the Easter bunny is real. I agree the article wasn’t well fleshed out (there probably was a word limit) but the ideas weren’t crap.

Panscan, all you are doing is announcing your feelings that women spend more than men without any real data. I recall many threads ago I asked you for data on this and you provided articles that were also crap and easy to pick apart.

You can find families where the male is the bigger spender and families where the female is. I have many friends where husband drives the spending, on things like bikes, tech, cars (especially the ones who race as a hobby) while the wife has simple tastes.
                      There are also both males and females who are overly cheap. We see that on here too.
                      I have seen studies that suggest that women on average may be better at investing than men, particularly the behavioral aspects.

Happy spouse, happy house.

Comment

Wow, they still haven't shut down this thread? It's not even I the lounge! How many will have to be offended first?

Comment

I don't think it needs to be shut down. I don't think anyone has said anything to offend anyone. Anything that deals with human behavior will have a lot of confounding variables.

Let's be honest with ourselves and realize that even the "poorest" of us here has a lot more discretionary income than the average person, so many of quibbles about purchases with each other will all be seen as frivolous spending to an outsider regardless of sex.

Comment

how many threads are there about wife wanting something and people respond “happy wife happy life” <- always hated that sentiment, what a joke

There's just not a good word play (at least that I'm aware of) that goes with husband.

I have seen studies that suggest that women on average may be better at investing than men, particularly the behavioral aspects.

This doesn't surprise me as I think men are likely more prone to gambling addiction/tendencies so I 100% believe that women make better overall investors.

Comment

not a good word play (at least that I’m aware of) that goes with husband

husband and contraband.

guess it's more of a slant rhyme.  could certainly make that word pair work in my house.

in my n of 1, my wife spends more often, but the grand total of her yearly expenditures pale with a single purchase by me.

Comment

I don’t think it needs to be shut down. I don’t think anyone has said anything to offend anyone. Anything that deals with human behavior will have a lot of confounding variables.

Let’s be honest with ourselves and realize that even the “poorest” of us here has a lot more discretionary income than the average person, so many of quibbles about purchases with each other will all be seen as frivolous spending to an outsider regardless of sex.

No, nothing offensive:

"frivolous female spending"

"impulsive frivolous donations to charities" - tell that to the recipient in Africa or Asia.

"lazy men"

"stupid"

"The title of this post and also its placed under “women’s issues” section is not pleasant to see on this forum. Its insulting to our female colleagues and spouses. Not sure why it had to be posted, and also discussed so heavily."

"if you find a family where one spouse spends more than other on luxuries and extra stuff, I’m going to bet it’s the woman majority of time. See a lot of typical doctor families where dad is driving a beat up camry or civic from the 2000s and mom is driving nice new luxury car. etc"

"It’s cheaper to keep her?" Is that the reason to stay married?

"This doesn’t surprise me as I think men are likely more prone to gambling addiction"

Comment

Working...
                                X