X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the Chris Rock fans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hpYQsckWno

Comment

Both spend friovolously. Women in small more frequent quantities vs men with big ticket stuff.

I also don’t know how many people can actually afford a 50k watch or purse. Like a microscopic portion of the country.

I see a lot of people buying 200 dollar shirts or dresses that can’t afford them. Their choice.

Sephora blows my mind. 50 bucks for a chap stick tube size thing that is like 1 cent to produce and 5 bucks on Amazon with same ingredients , sold to you by people who look like they’re from the hunger games with the crazy makeup. If I could invest in a sephora I would in a heartbeat.

I happen to know @MSooner is both beautiful and tasteful but yea, that made me LOL. It is a very strange experience having someone put make up on your face when you never in a million years would like to look like them. It's a horrible process, but once you buy a bunch of make up only to realize you're sensitive to some of the ingredients, well, there you'll sit having your face painted by a District 1 citizen.

Comment

As a doctor's wife, I can confidently say...

Absolutely yes, women are the frivolous spenders.

However that has everything to do with the perception of what they buy as being "frivolous."  Superfluous, froufrou, frilly, nonessential/nonsensical feel good fluff type disposable things.

Stuff like makeup, decor, stuff for kids, shoes, another one-wear clothing item, etc.  Expensive 'health' food, desserts, decorative cookies... Candles, scents.  Expensive shampoo.  All of that seems frivolous.  Because it all is.

The stuff men buy, on the other hand, is seen as some sort of an investment, something with some inherent underlying value, something solid that will last.  More tools, new set of golf clubs, TVs, car parts, expensive watches.  Cigars.  Meat, steak.  All of this stuff is real important.  Often men will think stuff like "well I have to buy this eventually" or "I'll use this for the rest of my life."  Sometimes they even think they can sell these items later and get most or all of their money back.  A noble beast died to bring us this meal.

Personally I spend on guns and bourbon.  Again, solid, underlying value.  I certainly don't need any more of either.

Comment

Candles, scents

OMG I blocked out the 5 seconds I could tolerate being in bath and body works over the weekend.  I don't even ask how much we spend on candles and soap at this point..

Comment

@fatlittlepig, just because you don't find it investment-worthy, doesn't mean it is not a sound investment to someone else.

50 k on a watch or a bag is crazy.
            Click to expand…

Not crazy just stupid

Re: expensive watches https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/25/your-money/watch-investment-auction.html

Re: expensive bags https://time.com/4182246/hermes-birkin-bag-investment-gold/

"...the Birkin bag outpaced both the S&P 500 and the price of gold in the last 35 years— a time period chosen to reflect the date when Birkin bags were first produced in 1981. They say that the annual return on a Birkin was 14.2%, compared to the S&P average of 8.7% a year and gold’s -1.5%..."

Comment

[moderator complaints can be PM'ed to any mod]

I personally spend more frivolously than my wife.

Comment

The moderators act to be against sexism (even if a comment is not really) in other threads and leave something like this to run.

so the OP links to a legitimate article from a legitimate news source asking the question why a sexist myth persists..... which you find sexist?

and then you answer the sexist OPs question adding to the sexism and want to complain about moderators not moderating your response?

Comment

Personally I spend on guns and bourbon.  Again, solid, underlying value.  I certainly don’t need any more of either.

Due to login issues, I took some time off from forum, but just clicked on the last page of this thread and perked up my ears at mention of watches, and then before that I see guns and bourbon.  Favorite topics!

I've gotten lucky with my watch purchases based upon auction results....

Craigy, are you getting any of the fall bourbon releases?  I used to have a good relationship with a local shop downtown, but after moving to the burbs, we've grown apart; I'm certainly not getting the call for the Pappy, etc.  Now I have to slum it with the masses at Total Wine.  I was able to get a bottle of Thomas H. Handy through their Concierge program last year; it's been sitting on my desk since then and just about every day I ask myself if I'm going to drink it or sell it (300% profit it appears).  Time flies.

Comment

OMG I blocked out the 5 seconds I could tolerate being in bath and body works over the weekend.  I don’t even ask how much we spend on candles and soap at this point..

I sit on the old man benches outside that store now.  My wife likes holiday soaps and candles.  I do not get it but it makes her happy.  I do not like being in that store it just gives me a headache.  So I sit outside and read the internet.

Comment

Personally I spend on guns and bourbon.  Again, solid, underlying value.  I certainly don’t need any more of either. 
                      Click to expand…

Due to login issues, I took some time off from forum, but just clicked on the last page of this thread and perked up my ears at mention of watches, and then before that I see guns and bourbon.  Favorite topics!

I’ve gotten lucky with my watch purchases based upon auction results….

Craigy, are you getting any of the fall bourbon releases?  I used to have a good relationship with a local shop downtown, but after moving to the burbs, we’ve grown apart; I’m certainly not getting the call for the Pappy, etc.  Now I have to slum it with the masses at Total Wine.  I was able to get a bottle of Thomas H. Handy through their Concierge program last year; it’s been sitting on my desk since then and just about every day I ask myself if I’m going to drink it or sell it (300% profit it appears).  Time flies.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN SELL IT??  **Looking up how to report you to the BATFE**  :lol:

Nah unfortunately I do not have any access to any of the limited releases, at least not so far.  I am in NOLA where we have a pretty decent selection of liquor stores, but alas far too many alcoholics who spend much more money than I do, or are at least better connected.  Best I've scored is a bottle of midwinter night's dram which is fairly hard to come by, as well as a couple bottles of blantons (overrated IMO but the bottles look cool).  Last year I donated a bunch into a lottery for some of the BTAC lineup but came up empty handed.  Closest I've come to Pappy is an occasional pour from a teetotaler friend of mine who likes to have it on hand to impress his guests (cousins with a pretty large retailer).

Recently I've been trying to find good store picks, a lot of Russell's Reserve and Knob Creek picks seem to be really nice and good value, and a few from Four Roses.  Also have been buying too many bottles of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, really loved the A119 this year.

Funny though, I think hunting Handy and the Sazerac 18 was what got me started into "collecting" this stuff... I was drinking a lot of sazeracs with cheaper liquor and wanted to make a sazerac with the expensive stuff.  Had no idea how rare and sought after it was, but I quickly caught on.  :lol:

Comment

WHAT DO YOU MEAN SELL IT??

Selling a bottle here and there is what keeps my wife semi-believing that the collection is an investment.  (That and showing her auction results.)

The nice thing about BTAC/Pappy is that the secondary market is very active, making it is easy to value.  And that spread from retail to resale is nearly criminal, particularly if you never get a chance to buy at retail....

Word on the street is that Total Wine Concierge will drop an email 10/23 about the fall release--not clear if that is when the stuff goes on sale or if it is just info about the sale.  Is there a TW in NOLA?

Comment

WHAT DO YOU MEAN SELL IT?? 
                          Click to expand…

Selling a bottle here and there is what keeps my wife semi-believing that the collection is an investment.  (That and showing her auction results.)

The nice thing about BTAC/Pappy is that the secondary market is very active, making it is easy to value.  And that spread from retail to resale is nearly criminal, particularly if you never get a chance to buy at retail….

Word on the street is that Total Wine Concierge will drop an email 10/23 about the fall release–not clear if that is when the stuff goes on sale or if it is just info about the sale.  Is there a TW in NOLA?

No total wine in Louisiana     

Comment

The title of this post and also its placed under "women's issues" section is not pleasant to see on this forum.  Its insulting to our female colleagues and spouses. Not sure why it had to be posted, and also discussed so heavily.

Comment

This forum seems to attract a group of people who can handle having a discussion without cursing and all caps typing that is so common around the internet.
                              As long as you don't try to time the market or buy whole life insurance ?

Comment

Resident_1, I can see your viewpoint but I am a female colleague and spouse and was not offended by the topic, I thought it was interesting. I may be wrong but I think the OP is female too. Did you read the actual NYT article? It's about the *myth* of frivolous female spending.

There is a double standard for men and women, on many levels, when it comes to how society views our lifestyle and financial decisions. Reality doesn't always match up, but the myth/stereotypes are there. If it's not discussed people don't examine their own thoughts and preconceived notions. I wish the discussion had gone deeper but such is life.

Comment

Working...
                                X