Clear All

• rick43221
    replied
    Protect premarital assets 401k and Roth IRA and hsa

Leave a comment:

• jfoxcpacfp
    replied
    Originally posted by rick43221 View Post
    I am getting married in New York but will be living with spouse in Georgia, she is on a student visa and I am a US citizen by birth. Should we get the prenup in New York or Georgia?

Thank you
    Definitely a question for an experienced attorney.

Leave a comment:

• Kamban
    replied
    Originally posted by rick43221 View Post
    I am getting married in New York but will be living with spouse in Georgia, she is on a student visa and I am a US citizen by birth. Should we get the prenup in New York or Georgia?

Thank you
    Pre nup is to help protect assets gotten before you marry. I am not sure the visa rules change that. The state that you reside in is the state that you should have a prenup.

Do either of you have assets that you want to protect. What exactly do you want to achieve with this prenup.

Leave a comment:

• rick43221
    replied

Thank you

Leave a comment:

• Lithium
    replied
    Originally posted by CM View Post

Your marriage isn't a random event. Other marriages between other people have nothing to do with it.
    It’s still a lot more likely than plenty of other things we insure against.

Leave a comment:

• CM
    replied
    Originally posted by Lithium View Post

Statistics say otherwise.
    Your marriage isn't a random event. Other marriages between other people have nothing to do with it.

Leave a comment:

• Lithium
    replied
    Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

I think your odds of getting a divorce are much lower as long as you aren’t marrying a Kardashian.
    Statistics say otherwise. And if it’s a Kardashian I’m marrying, that’s the rare scenario in which I won’t be asking for a prenup.

Leave a comment:

• CordMcNally
    replied
    Divorce is still a relatively high percentage financial catastrophe. Get the best insurance you can and hope you never need it.
    I think your odds of getting a divorce are much lower as long as you aren’t marrying a Kardashian.

Leave a comment:

• Lithium
    replied
    Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

Who you marry is much more important than the prenup.
    Can’t argue with that. That’s like saying driving safely is much more important than having good auto insurance.

Divorce is still a relatively high percentage financial catastrophe. Get the best insurance you can and hope you never need it.

Leave a comment:

• CordMcNally
    replied
    Like WCI says, you should insure against financial catastrophe. Hard to come up with a more common financial catastrophe than divorce.
    Who you marry is much more important than the prenup.

Leave a comment:

• Lithium
    replied
    Like WCI says, you should insure against financial catastrophe. Hard to come up with a more common financial catastrophe than divorce.

Leave a comment:

• CM
    replied
    I don't have a prenup. I married with a 7-figure net worth, maybe 100X my wife's net worth. After we married I put all of my assets in joint accounts (except the retirement accounts that can't be converted). It's our money now. I wouldn't have married if I wanted it any other way.

I stopped worrying about myself and my money. I just want to take care of her.

A prenup is an example of cognitive dissonance. One makes a promise for life while simultaneously preparing documents to handle the dissolution of the relationship. That makes no sense to me.

Just don't get married. It isn't necessary.

Leave a comment:

• adventure
    replied
    We both earn a decent living, and we discussed a prenup pre wedding. It was... stressful, but it helped up settle somethings (mostly just how to talk to each other, ha) before we wed. Neither has family money, both had and still has good earning potential.

We didn't have the funds nor wherewithall to do "it right" before the wedding, and hire 2 law firms to advise us both, etc.

But it helped us before hand to talk. I don't recall, but I'm sure there were tears and stress. If either of us were to marry now, we'd both certainly discuss it, and I wouldn't marry without one.

Leave a comment:

• MPMD
    replied
    Originally posted by fatlittlepig View Post

It’s not exactly a believable anecdote.
    not sure what to tell you except that it's true...

Leave a comment:

• Shant
    replied
    Of course the kids are going to find out the family handcuffs when the kids try to get married.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X