Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tyche
    • Apr 2018

Fraud

Towards the end of last month I noticed some unfamiliar charges on our checking account. I checked with the husband and immediately called Schwab. There were 9 fraudulent charges in two different names pulled directly from the account. Apparently I had been paying for someone's internet (and hopefully cable, $200/month!!) for the last 3 months. I hadn't paid attention because it's the same internet company we use and we just moved last month. Mid March they got bold, there was a cluster of charges mostly to debt collection agencies. The 10th charge was most worrisome: it was my husband's name.  An E-Pay to a county directly north of where we live. I don't think the fraud guy believed it wasn't our charge so he sent me on a hunt. Once I got on the phone with the right office and person the municipal office was surprisingly helpful. My fraud guy sent them an email stating my account was being shut down and they immediately reversed the charge. It was a phone payment for "someone else's traffic citation."

Even though we use a CC for 99% of purchases, going on 2 weeks without a checking account is beyond inconvenient. Schwab does allow withdrawals during this process but they must be approved over the phone. I'm over here mid semester, buying furniture for our new home, and trying to deal with this bank stuff. Too many balls in the air. I've never been so thankful I never shut down a secondary account. I'd had direct deposit set up before we were married and never bothered to make the switch. There was only about $2k in there but in the future I'm going to plan to have about that much in there at all times. It has come in handy. ***** for a picture of how much we take for granted having cash on hand I actually messaged my college aged brothers (on IG, they respond faster on there than text!) asking for $100. True Millennials, I received a notification the funds had been sent about 45 seconds after I "made the ask." Leaning on the bros for fast cash ::face palm::

Even though it's more than likely the information was stolen from the front of a check I immediately switched to Last Pass and set up a VPN. The husband doesn't keep passwords for bank accounts, etc. but I'm hoping he'll do the same for his email. Since that 10th transaction was in his name the next thing we'll need to do is start investigating identity theft. My fraud guy (total BFF by now) said he can send some resources once it's all said and done but I thought I'd come here to ask if anyone has been through this and if they have any advice. Moving forward, are there other ways to protect personal security?
  • ACN
    • Jan 2016

From a strictly computer standpoint, use Lastpass (or another password manager) and enable two step authentication.  Can use a VPN if you are really paranoid.

From a credit standpoint; you can freeze your credit if you are not opening new cards, getting a loan, etc.

Comment

• Hatton
      • Jan 2016

I froze my credit and have 2 factor ID.

Comment

• CFEonline
        • Sep 2018

Is LastPass the preferred manager? Looks like it's free, saw some articles about security breach a few years ago but I suppose all are vulnerable

Comment

• ACN
          • Jan 2016

Is LastPass the preferred manager? Looks like it’s free, saw some articles about security breach a few years ago but I suppose all are vulnerable

I pay $1-2/month for Lastpass.  I've had no problems with it and have been using it for 5 years or so.  My wife has it also and we can share passwords.  You get a free month of premium if you sign up with the link.

Comment

• hightower
            • Dec 2016

We just found out our Chase Visa was somehow being used fraudulently.  Someone was trying to buy gas in another state with it, even though both of our physical cards were at home with us?  It's a crazy world we live in with regards to criminals these days.  Watch your bank and CC statements like a hawk.

Comment

• bean1970
              Physician
              • Jul 2017

Nothing should go unnoticed. This is my favorite feature of using Personal capital is that i get a daily email of all transactions. I don't need to log into umpteen different accounts each day to look for fishy activity. Every day i see all transactions very efficiently.  It has actually bailed me out. I have CC alerts set up for online transactions, high value and foreign transactions (otherwise i would just get too many alerts lol).  So four $200 gift cards purchased at Nike went unnoticed to the CC company since wouldn't be "unusual" for us...but it was fraud. I saw it on personal capital right away and by the next day I had a new CC overnighted to me.     That said now the CC company alerts me for gift card purchases and I was actually declined trying to buy 18 gift cards for employee gifts!   I also never use a debit card.

Comment

• VagabondMD
                Radiologist (retired)
                • Jan 2016

I froze my credit and have 2 factor ID.

I have done the same. After my second identity theft incident of 2017, the credit bureaus instituted an extra layer of fraud protection such that no one could open an account for me unless they spoke with my on my phone.

That said, none of that would stop people from charging items on my existing accounts, if they had all of the card numbers and CVVs.

Comment

• Zzyzx
                  Academic Physician
                  • Sep 2018

Is LastPass the preferred manager? Looks like it’s free, saw some articles about security breach a few years ago but I suppose all are vulnerable

i prefer 1password
                  It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy, I'll get a saw.

Comment

• Tim
                    • Sep 2018

Schwab does allow withdrawals during this process but they must be approved over the phone.

I am not understanding the bank process with Schwab. Typically, you don't put just a hold. You may leave it open to cover any outstanding items. Why didn't the open a new account? I certainly would walk down to a bank and open an account.

1) You do realize, that it does not appear you have filed a legal complaint. You need to file a complaint with your local law enforcement. There is a wonderful trail don't you think? Traffic violations often have things like license numbers and sometimes pictures. Debt collections agencies try to collect from people. Cable companies have locations and personal information. Schwab does not have the authority to handle this.

2)Report Fraud Consumer Fraud and Identity Theft. Contact the Federal Trade Commission at 1-877-FTC-HELP, 1-877-ID-THEFT, or online at www.ftc.gov.

Most likely your local sheriff will get a warrant to track everything down. Cable bill, it was paid for two years and suddenly your account was charged.It's pretty easy to find the owner and address, see prior payments and get the bank information and then find the car and see who was on the tickets and collection agencies. Sounds easy, but Schwab doesn't do that.

With your police report, you get free credit freezes. Get freezes on and get your credit reports. Restitution and lock it down is your goal. Schwab only is protecting one account, not finding out how and stopping anything else.

1. Contact Your Bank. ...

2. Contact the Vendor. ...

3. Dispute the Charge With Your Bank or Credit Card Company. ...

4. File a Fraud or Police Report. ...

5. Switch Your Bank Drafts to Your New Account or Card. ...

6. Monitor Your Account and Credit Closely.

Comment

• fatlittlepig
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2017

Towards the end of last month I noticed some unfamiliar charges on our checking account. I checked with the husband and immediately called Schwab. There were 9 fraudulent charges in two different names pulled directly from the account. Apparently I had been paying for someone’s internet (and hopefully cable, $200/month!!) for the last 3 months. I hadn’t paid attention because it’s the same internet company we use and we just moved last month. Mid March they got bold, there was a cluster of charges mostly to debt collection agencies. The 10th charge was most worrisome: it was my husband’s name.  An E-Pay to a county directly north of where we live. I don’t think the fraud guy believed it wasn’t our charge so he sent me on a hunt. Once I got on the phone with the right office and person the municipal office was surprisingly helpful. My fraud guy sent them an email stating my account was being shut down and they immediately reversed the charge. It was a phone payment for “someone else’s traffic citation.”

Even though we use a CC for 99% of purchases, going on 2 weeks without a checking account is beyond inconvenient. Schwab does allow withdrawals during this process but they must be approved over the phone. I’m over here mid semester, buying furniture for our new home, and trying to deal with this bank stuff. Too many balls in the air. I’ve never been so thankful I never shut down a secondary account. I’d had direct deposit set up before we were married and never bothered to make the switch. There was only about $2k in there but in the future I’m going to plan to have about that much in there at all times. It has come in handy. ***** for a picture of how much we take for granted having cash on hand I actually messaged my college aged brothers (on IG, they respond faster on there than text!) asking for $100. True Millennials, I received a notification the funds had been sent about 45 seconds after I “made the ask.” Leaning on the bros for fast cash ::face palm::

Even though it’s more than likely the information was stolen from the front of a check I immediately switched to Last Pass and set up a VPN. The husband doesn’t keep passwords for bank accounts, etc. but I’m hoping he’ll do the same for his email. Since that 10th transaction was in his name the next thing we’ll need to do is start investigating identity theft. My fraud guy (total BFF by now) said he can send some resources once it’s all said and done but I thought I’d come here to ask if anyone has been through this and if they have any advice. Moving forward, are there other ways to protect personal security?

Sorry to hear that. Hope it gets cleared up.

Comment

• DK Unger
                        Insurance Agent
                        • Jan 2016

Click to expand…

i prefer 1password

Any particular reason(s) why? Thanks!

Comment

• Urojet
                          • Jan 2016

+1 for lastpass and freezing credit reports. I may have missed some announcement but I noticed that over the last ~6 months, temporarily lifting/reinstating a freeze has become free (they used to charge something like $15 each time for the privilege of doing this.. don't get me started). It's really very minimal hassle to do.

Fraud aside, I've found that monitoring CC transactions on Mint has helped me catch recurring fees/subscriptions that I had forgotten about, too. Probably a good practice for both reasons.

Comment

• spiritrider
                            • Feb 2016

1) You do realize, that it does not appear you have filed a legal complaint. You need to file a complaint with your local law enforcement. There is a wonderful trail don’t you think? Traffic violations often have things like license numbers and sometimes pictures. Debt collections agencies try to collect from people. Cable companies have locations and personal information. Schwab does not have the authority to handle this.

Most likely your local sheriff will get a warrant to track everything down. Cable bill, it was paid for two years and suddenly your account was charged.It’s pretty easy to find the owner and address, see prior payments and get the bank information and then find the car and see who was on the tickets and collection agencies. Sounds easy, but Schwab doesn’t do that.

Not saying you shouldn't file a police report, but you have watched way to much TV. From common experience, unless it is several thousand$+, you can gift wrap a 100% slam dunk prosecutorial case and in most departments the report will get filed and not much will ever happen unless it involves a frequent flier. They are just understaffed, overworked and have more critical cases to work on. That is even in a low crime ex-urban town of ~25K. If you live in any metropolitan area, you can forget about it. I don't care who the financial institution is, they are not going to drive this.

Comment

• Tim
                              • Sep 2018

The report itself is an important document, maybe not anymore. For example, calling on the parking ticket “you got a police report?” They give you information, otherwise no. You are 100% correct about resources. It used to be your “free ticket” to the credit bureau money machines. If you are one of a pattern of reports, it can get attention. But then again, if you don’t report it, there is no pattern, right?

Comment

Working...