podcasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• podcasts

I commute 40 minutes one way on two days of the week and just figured out how to listen to podcasts via bluetooth from my phone  :roll:

Any good ones that you guys like to listen to? I have freakonomics but looking for more interesting ones.

Thanks!

Joshua Sheats has one called Radical Personal Finance. I'm not much of a podcast listener, as I only have a 3 to 7 minute commute, and I like to listen to music when I exercise, but I did listen to one and found it quite interesting. It was an interview with a radiologist who went half-time in a successful effort to fight burnout. You can hear it here.

Comment

I haven't personally listened to all of these but I have read good things about the following:

Listen Money Matters!

Masters in Business

EconTalk

The Clark Howard Podcast

Radical Personal Finance

The Dave Ramsey Show

White Coat Investor (oops... we haven't convinced him to start that yet, have we?)

Comment

I commute 40 minutes one way on two days of the week and just figured out how to listen to podcasts via bluetooth from my phone  :roll:

Any good ones that you guys like to listen to? I have freakonomics but looking for more interesting ones.

Thanks!

You might check out this thread.
        Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

I have been listening to podcasts for years, commuting, running, and walking the dogs.

My current favorites include:

The Minimalists

Money for the Rest of Us

Planet Money

Outside (Magazine)

Marketplace Money

Revisionist History (Malcolm Gladwell)

Freakonomics

The Terrible Podcast (Steelers)

Diane Rehm Show

Ross Tucker Football Podcast

Comment

On Point with Tom Ashbrook (an NPR podcast)

Comment

Joshua Sheats has one called Radical Personal Finance. I’m not much of a podcast listener, as I only have a 3 to 7 minute commute, and I like to listen to music when I exercise, but I did listen to one and found it quite interesting. It was an interview with a radiologist who went half-time in a successful effort to fight burnout. You can hear it here.

A radiologist had burnout?  My goodness, the horror of working a 40-hour week from the wretched discomfort of a computer chair... :roll: :lol:

Comment

I'll cast a second vote for EconTalk. It's not just dry economics stuff. He interviews many different authors on many different topics. All of the podcasts are pretty interesting but quite a few of the podcasts are really amazing--thought provoking and they stick with you.

This American Life and Serial aren't related to personal finance or economics in any way but have always been entertaining for me on my commutes and runs.

Comment

The major advantage to podcasts over audiobooks is they are free. I have a large group that I listen to basically all of the episodes. I will list them in decending order starting with my favorite.

1. Hardcore History by Dan Carlin.  I have always found history fascinating but I am pretty sure basically anyone with a reasonable attention span will love this podcast.  There is a whole series covering World War I that is incredible.  The episode Prophets of Doom is probably my favorite.  My favorite quote from when I was a teenager was "The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction has to make sense..." - Unknown.  Well Prophets of Doom is a great example of that!

2. The Tim Ferriss Show.  I was skeptical about liking this.  I know I am not the only person that thinks of (or have thought of) Tim as a shameless self-promoter and maybe a fad-chaser.  But his podcast is truly incredible.  It is mostly an interview platform. He is a very talented interviewer and he has connections to very interesting people. If you want a taste of amazing, check out his episodes with Derek Sivers, Scott Adams, Wim Hof, Kevin Kelly, Kevin Costner, and Seth Godin.  None of those will disappoint and there are many, many more that are just fantastic.

3. Mad Fientist Financial Independence Postcast.  He does not put out frequent episodes but they are high quality.  He interviews the rock stars of the FIRE community: Mr. Money Mustache, JL Collins, JD Roth, GoCurryCracker

4. Radical Personal Finance.  I see this mentioned above.  I actually don't listen to every episode of this.  Joshua does have somewhat of strange preoccupation with feeling like a persecuted Christian and occasionally goes off on Right-wing tangents so don't let scare you away if you run into it early on in your experience.  But he does offer exceptional advice and information related to personal finance.  His series' on life insurance and disability insurance have been really useful in educating me on the best product for me.  He is is a former broker from Northwestern Mutual so he has an insider perspective but is not going to try to convince you Whole-Life is what you need, although he will say that there are some rare instances where whole life makes sense (just like WCI). He also has occasional interesting guests, including Jacob Fisker from Early Retirement Extreme.

5. Tangentially Speaking by Chris Ryan.  This is kind of my odd ball podcast.  He is the author of the book "Sex at Dawn" which apparently discusses the unscientific nature of monogamy. I've never read his book as I am happily monogamist, but I kind of like his 19th Century Existentialist world-view and his frequent rants about the failings of modernity. He also interviews interesting (mostly, non-famous) people about world travel experiences.  There is a strong chance you will like this pod cast even if you are sure you won't.  I keep thinking about deleting it but keep listening to it.

6. Bigger Pockets.  This is the only good real estate investing podcasts.  They probably give all the information you could ever need to get into any area of real estate investing.  Unfortunately, I own only one property at the moment so I have not invested my time wisely in listening to this pod cast.  But I do think the information I've learned could be useful in the future if I do truly get into the real estate game in the future.

7. Talking Machines.  I'm guessing my interest in this will not overlap that much with WCI readers.  This podcast is about the theory of machine learning algorithms.  I am interested in applying machine learning (sometimes referred to as artificial intelligence or decision support in different contexts) to genomics and medical records databases to find ways to better help us take care of patients. So it is fun for me to absorb some of the strategies the guest of this show use for different tasks. Anyway, if this interests you at all, I highly recommend this podcast.

8. The James Altucher Show.  I just started listening to this, mainly because he had an interview with Nassim Taleb (author of Black Swan and Antifragile). I highly recommend this interview.  I have listened to a few of his more recent interviews and have liked them quite a bit. Time will tell.

9. Revisionist History by Malcolm Gladwell.  This is brand new and seems to have a lot of potential.  Gladwell is famous for his books Outliers and Blink among others.  These are short 45 minute stories that have a fun thought provoking theme.  The most recent episode (3rd ever) discusses how we make silly decision that are wrong in the face of evidence when everyone else is doing it. The central example is how Wilt Chamberlain was a terrible free throw shooter but was a reasonable one when he shot underhand (granny style) and that he actually shot underhand in the game where he made the most free throws in one game of any NBA player in history (the night he also scored 100 points) but then stopped because it was not what everyone else was doing.

10.  Common Sense by Dan Carlin.  I listen to this because it remind me of Hardcore History (which only come out 3-4 times per year).  Dan has an interesting political perspective that I also appreciate so maybe this should be higher on the list. His most recent episode on the Brexit was thought-provoking.

There are many podcasts I have tried and deleted and these are the ones that survived.  I hope this is useful to people looking for some good listens.  I listen to podcasts mostly at 1.5-2x speed because my mid works better that way. It so happens that this allows me to listen to monstrous amounts of audio content which I find fulfilling. See the thread about "What you read? How your read?" to see some of mine and others book/audiobook recommendations.

Comment

Not mentioned is the Money Guy Show with Brian Preston. It airs about every two weeks has good practical advice, southern style out of Georgia.

Comment

I'm an avid podcast listener; I too have a 40 minute commute to work. I recently sent a list of podcasts I listen to to a friend who was interested. I also found it useful to have a list of podcasts when I got a new phone. That slightly edited email is just copied/pasted below.

I've tried most of them and my favorite podcasting app is Podcast Addict for Android. It has just about every setting and feature you could hope for. I don't have iPhone. If you have iPhone, check out this post. Either way, I highly recommend listening at faster-than-1x speed. Most of my podcasts I listen at 1.3x. Some faster or slower depending on how well I understand it at that speed. You'll find you clearly understand most people talk at 1.3x. Clark Howard speaks so slow I listen to him at 1.6x. I'm so used to it, I can't stand normal speed now - it's so slow!

The lists below are in roughly in order of importance - that is, the order to which I listen to them.

Podcasts I listen to regularly and generally don't miss an episode:

• The Briefing with Albert Mohler

• Al Mohler is the president of Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, KY. This is a daily report and analysis of the news from a Christian worldview.

• Ask Pastor John

• Daily podcast where people write in questions for John Piper and he answers them. Very thoughtful and helpful, wide range of questions. Piper has said he considers this his main pastoral outlet since he retired from preaching at Bethlehem.

• NPR Politics

• Daily podcast on current politics (they release several short segments per day).

• Hello Internet

• Podcast with CGP Grey and Brady Haran. No set schedule, released every 1-3 weeks generally. They just talk about random things. One of my favorites. I suggest starting from episode 1. If you listen to this, I recommend you start from the beginning.

• Cortex

• Podcast with CGP Grey and Myke Hurley. The podcast is supposed to be about personal productivity, small business management, etc. They get onto pretty broad topics, though. Every two weeks. If you listen to this, I recommend you start from the beginning.

• Stacking Benjamins

• Mostly about personal finance with a funny/comedy bent. Thrice weekly.

• 99% Invisible

• Interesting design topics. About the "mostly invisible" things we see everyday in real life, but don't realize what we're seeing. Weekly.

• Freakonomics Radio

• From one of the authors of the Freakonomics books. One of my favorites. Weekly.

• Motley Fool Money

• What are the markets doing this week and other general finance topics. Weekly.

• Planet Money

• Interesting economics/finance/money type topics. The creators say they find interesting things that they don't know the answer to and find the answers - (why do we ship cotton from the US to Thailand to be spun to yarn, then to India to be turned into a T-shirt, then back to the US to be sold??). Weekly.

• NPR Ask Me Another

• Comedy trivia show. Weekly.

• Thinking in Public with Albert Mohler

• Mohler interviews authors of books he's read. No set schedule.

• Pete the Planner

• Pete gives a real person financial planning. Weekly.

• The Money-Guy Show

• On personal finance. Every to weeks.

• Signposts with Russel Moore

• Russel Moore is president of the Southern Baptist Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission - the political arm of the SBC. People send in ethical questions and he answers. No set schedule.

Podcasts I listen to occasionally:

• Bigger Pockets

• On real estate investing. Weekly?

• Clark Howard

• I used to listen to Dave Ramsey then "graduated" to Clark Howard. I agree with Clark on more things than Ramsey. However, since Clark is primarily a radio show, where listeners aren't expected to hear every episode, listening to every episode via podcast can become a bit repetitive. I love Clark though, and still listen occasionally. Daily.

• Welcome to Night Vale

• News reports from a fictional town in the desert where strange things happen. I'm behind on this one, slowly catching up.

• Radiolab

• Interesting general scientific and philosophical topics. Weekly.

• TED Radio Hour

• Interviews with several TED presenters who have given talks on similar topics. Weekly.

• Invisibilia

• On human psychology. 

• Hidden Brain

• Generally about psychology. Weekly.

• Betty in the Sky with a Suitcase

• Flight attendant that tells funny stories from her job.

New podcasts I've subscribed to, but still on my to-do list - I haven't listened to them yet:

• Stuff You Should Know

• Boardgames to Go

• Imaginary Worlds

Comment

I love listening to podcasts. Here are a few of the non-financial podcasts I listen to:

Sawbones - Husband/wife duo that discusses the often quirky history of various diseases and medical issues.

Mortified - Adults read from their journals and diaries to an audience about hilariously embarrassing topics.

99% Invisible - A podcast about design and architecture of things we often ignore or take for granted in our daily lives.

Switched on Pop - I didn't think I'd be interested in this podcast at first but it has really grown on me. Musicologists critically analyze pop songs.

Comment

Joshua Sheats has one called Radical Personal Finance. I’m not much of a podcast listener, as I only have a 3 to 7 minute commute, and I like to listen to music when I exercise, but I did listen to one and found it quite interesting. It was an interview with a radiologist who went half-time in a successful effort to fight burnout. You can hear it here.
                          Click to expand…

A radiologist had burnout?  My goodness, the horror of working a 40-hour week from the wretched discomfort of a computer chair… :roll: ?

Dude, you have no clue.

Comment

Click to expand…

A radiologist had burnout?  My goodness, the horror of working a 40-hour week from the wretched discomfort of a computer chair… :roll: ?
                            Click to expand…

Dude, you have no clue.

I dislike the generalization that if your are not in clinic or up all night admitting patients, you cannot experience burnout...

Comment

I thought I might want to be a radiologist until I spent 3 weeks on the rotation. 2.5 weeks of diagnostic radiology in a dark room was quite tedious, and any missed abnormality in 64 slices of CT could be a lawsuit. I was dying to get above ground, move my feet, and see some patients!

I realize there are different flavors of radiology, including interventional, but yes, I can absolutely see any radiologist burning out.

Comment

Working...
                              X