WCI post on NOT retiring early is generating a lot of interest on Reddit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WCI post on NOT retiring early is generating a lot of interest on Reddit

I came across this thread on Reddit this morning. There are some angry people on the internet. Warning: language NSFW.

Dr. Dahle has stated that thick skin is a useful asset to have as a blogger. I can see why. Would love to see you respond to the haters.

Cheers!

-PoF

It is interesting what people will say when they know they will remain anonymous. Wonder if readercolin would post a YouTube video of same personal attacks with his/her real name.

This article (14 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Retire Early) was written for a specific audience who is, imo, already familiar with the philosophy of WCI and its readers. To take the article out of context, as if it summarizes everything that is WCI, makes it pretty easy to see how it could generate some of the criticisms being posted. However, some of the commenters (readercolin, for example) have not digested what WCI is saying...ex: point 4 response assumes that WCI recommends buying annuities. Reading through his list of rejoinders, his/her assumptions are actually really funny. #6 "Just do some basic f***ing research, and stop being a stupid lazy git like this moron." (referring to WCI)

Now, PoF...how do you have time to read Reddit?
    Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Agree with Johanna, and, just glancing over the replies makes me wonder why anyone bothers checking out this site. Utter chaos and indeed a lot of ranting.

Comment

WCI writes professional and thoughtful posts unlike most of those commentators.  It is amazing how defensive the ERE/FIRE community can be.  I have achieved FI but chose to not RE.  I receive nasty comments when I even talk about why I love my work.  Unbelievable.  I do think career longevity is important.  Having an enjoyable, manageable job long term is a better choice for me than going fast and furious and burning out and opting out.  As WCI has said though personal finance is personal.  Whether one chooses to RE or not it is important to consider all aspects and many of them were in WCI's post.  PoF thanks for adding some facts that support WCI.

Comment

Part of what makes WCI a great and very useful site is that its hard for many people outside the medical profession to relate to many of the unique financial, professional, and lifestyle concerns that many of us face.  So elsewhere you get posts like these from people who a) hate jobs that allow them all of their weekends free and full nights of sleep,  b) get jealous every time they're reminded what a doctor's annual salary is compared to theirs, and c) use the anonymity of the internet to be insufferable pricks.  The best response would be a complete lack of response.

Topically though, even within the medical profession there is a lot of variance.  Many physicians have very intense, stressful, draining jobs, and so that can add a lot to a person's personal decision to pursue early retirement.  Nobody mentioned these considerations back when I was a tremendously naive medical student trying decide my specialty.  If only I knew then what I know now...

Comment

No such thing as bad publicity. 2174 readers have come here from Reddit in the last month.

But that does explain a couple of randomly aggressive comments on that thread recently...

I signed up for Reddit and left a response.

Then I realized how annoying using Reddit is. What's up with having to wait 5-10 minutes between posts? I hope that "feature" goes away with time.
            Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Very interesting. It is definitely strange how any community can become a bubble and trend toward ideological. You want to retire early? Great, there are certainly many benefits and interesting paths with that. There are also many reasons why working a little longer can be very beneficial. What was really odd is that there were dissenters even if you really enjoy what you do, what a very odd opinion position to take.

Is there anything in life where a choice does not result in a trade off of some nature? Maybe we are more attuned because medicine makes that very obvious, but its true in all of life. You want one thing you may be trading another for it, time for money, money for time, money for stuff, risk for reward, etc...It makes sense to at the very least force yourself to evaluate other positions and try to not immediately form them to your prior biases, as exceedingly difficult as that is in practice.

Comment

No such thing as bad publicity. 2174 readers have come here from Reddit in the last month.

But that does explain a couple of randomly aggressive comments on that thread recently…

I signed up for Reddit and left a response.

Then I realized how annoying using Reddit is. What’s up with having to wait 5-10 minutes between posts? I hope that “feature” goes away with time.

Very nice. I read your response, which was perfect.

I wish someone could find an article on my site that angers up the blood and post it on there.

I don't use Reddit all that much, but I have it as one of the tabs that appears when I fire up the browser. If I see something pertaining to physicians on the front page of the FIRE subreddit, I might chime in.

WCI - there's an "emergdoc" on there who often weighs in on physician stuff; appears to be a moderator. Confusing as that is your Boglehead handle.

Comment

Read the full reddit. Idk, thats why I dislike those kinds of sites, rhetoric and vitriol praised, understanding and balance is often beaten down to submission or fearful of interacting at all giving a very one sided view of everything. You can only do so much at some point its not worthwhile. When you have a financial advisor that appears unable to do basic math, and people that wholly cannot relate in a way that makes them unable to see the reasoning (ie the part about taxes and catch ups) its just not worth it anymore. You gave it a great shot but its unrelatable and makes no sense to them and seems they have zero desire to see it anyway.

Maybe a goading statement every now and then to drive traffic, but anything doesnt make sense.

Comment

I think that people were responding to the title of the article, which I think was a bit misleading. If instead of being titled "why you shouldn't retire early" , the post had been titled, "the benefits of retiring a little later"  I think there would have been less criticism.

Comment

I think that people were responding to the title of the article, which I think was a bit misleading. If instead of being titled “why you shouldn’t retire early” , the post had been titled, “the benefits of retiring a little later”  I think there would have been less criticism.

You may have noticed my goal with post titles is not to minimize criticism.
                      Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

You may have noticed my goal with post titles is not to minimize criticism.

Point taken.  And you drummed up more traffic as a result.

That's why you get to run the website, and I just read it.   

Comment

Serious?

This is to generate traffic.

Nothing to see. Next.

Comment

Read the full reddit. Idk, thats why I dislike those kinds of sites, rhetoric and vitriol praised, understanding and balance is often beaten down to submission or fearful of interacting at all giving a very one sided view of everything. You can only do so much at some point its not worthwhile. When you have a financial advisor that appears unable to do basic math, and people that wholly cannot relate in a way that makes them unable to see the reasoning (ie the part about taxes and catch ups) its just not worth it anymore. You gave it a great shot but its unrelatable and makes no sense to them and seems they have zero desire to see it anyway.

Maybe a goading statement every now and then to drive traffic, but anything doesnt make sense.

Reddit isn't all bad and it serves a useful purpose. It does an excellent connecting people and sharing information. You just have to take it for whats its worth and meet it with a high degree of skepticism

Comment

my wife likes it, im just not the biggest fan and cant stand the 90s chat room format.

Comment

Working...
                              X