Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

deathbed regret and the puritan work ethic, by Harry Sit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deathbed regret and the puritan work ethic, by Harry Sit.

I enjoyed Harry Sit's take on Bronnie Ware ( hospice worker) observation that the second most often death bed regret was, "I wish I had not worked as hard".

http://thefinancebuff.com/deathbed-regret-and-the-puritan-work-ethic.html

I thought this subject would lend itself well for a poll.

If so let James Dahl know and offer better poll suggestions.

My suggestion of a poll whould be.

1. Bronnie Ware is right. I wish I had not worked as hard.

2. I wish my hard work would have paid off better.

3. I worked hard but it was worth it.

4. I should have worked harder.

5. I agree with Harry Sit: Hard work is not an actionable item.

I suggest that we can pick multiple options. I would pick 2, 3, 4 and 5.

That's a good article. I agree with Sit.

Comment

I'm not sure there are enough dying people on the forum to do a poll on this!
      Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

When a person's dying their mental function has decreased.

Comment

When a person’s dying their mental function has decreased.

Somewhat agree on this angle. Though I doubt people wished they worked more without a positive and obvious payoff from such, if you're on your death bed thats about as stressful and emotional as one can get. You (or at least I) know that during times of stress you feel or think things that you do not in almost all other situations.

Its like those live everyday like its your last quotes, well then we'd all be homeless because who would go to work ever?

Comment

I’m not sure there are enough dying people on the forum to do a poll on this!

I have at least one patient every couple of days, ask me: Doc, Am I going to live? and the patient is rather pleased with their sense of humor.  And I always answer: No, is this a surprise to you?

My point being that there are enough dying people on this forum*. But then I am a neurologist and not an ER doctor.

The question is: would this lead to an interesting discussion or poll?

I would think that most doctors have a puritan work ethic and would have introspection.

* any numbers on daily visitors?

Comment

Working...
            X