MOC. A waste of money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOC. A waste of money

I read this today on the POF blog.  Wow.  Any thoughts? http://rebel.md/what-happens-when-you-stop-doing-moc/

Interestingly just this week, the ABR got rid of our antiquated 10yr exam, in which I would have had to travel to Chicago to take, in favor of weekly low key email CME links.  A refreshing change.

I somehow highly doubt the insane annual ransom "dues" will go down to match.  Honestly, we should all just refuse to pay them.  They are basically analagous to government road tolls.  They have become bloated to feed the ever growing bureaurracy, bloated salaries, increased staff, and excessive headquarters.  It is a never ending cycle like most everything any government touches.

ABR leadership.  If you are listening, the extortion has to stop.  Cut staff to a minimum to get the job done.  Maybe do something creative, for example annual fees are waived with proof of $100 contribution to state or federal radiology PAC. At least then our $ has a chance of going to something useful.

Comment

I find the rules keep changing and the costs go up.  ACOG/ABOG has a test every 6 years (it used to be 10).  Now I read that they have a pilot program that if you score above a certain percent on CME reading required for MOC you don't have to take it.  I resent the fees and the busy work!  I consider that I had to work too hard to initially get boarded to ever let it expire like the pediatrician who wrote the article.

Comment

True, but the only way things change is if more people refuse to pay and increase the public outcry or if there is an internal coup within the organizations.

Comment

I read this today on the POF blog.  Wow.  Any thoughts? http://rebel.md/what-happens-when-you-stop-doing-moc/

Thanks for the link - article and comments are fascinating.
          Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

There is a revolution occurring in the medical boards. The ABIM is getting eviscerated by its diplomates. Many are defecting to a new board. Serves them right, with the officers and directors, many retired docs living like kings on the backs of the working docs.

Comment

I guess a Jack Bogle type is needed to hold down the expense to have the privilege to practice what you spent years learning to do.  I say this as I just finished my requirements for 2016.  Money and time but no test this year.

Comment

It may not just be the boards soon. Remember Utah's scheme a year ago to increase licensing fees to $5K?

I agree that board certification expenses are outrageous. Truly a "doctor price" thing.
                Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Licensing fees, board fees, this fee that fee, another form to fill out.  It all adds up to real money and a time suck. I hope that Pediatrician at RebelMD is reading this site so she can prepare to retire.

Comment

Licensing fees, board fees, this fee that fee, another form to fill out.  It all adds up to real money and a time suck. I hope that Pediatrician at RebelMD is reading this site so she can prepare to retire.

I would not worry about Meg Edison. She is going to have a lot of opportunities, and, for taking a courageous public stand, as she has, she certainly deserves them.

She reported over on Sermo that she has been contacted by a Chicago law firm that specializes in class action suits.  

Comment

I dont understand the cognitive dissonance in all of this. Its always a MOC, choose another board, etc...the other board will become this one when it has the same power, they always do. Boards are voluntary period, they have zero to do with being licensed and that is a very distinct thing. Boards themselves are the problem. All these other issues are restrictions of trade for what is supposed to be a voluntary thing, and is really now a redundant process that is a relic, but does allow physicians and others to make a lot of money without making a real contribution.

What value does a board provide? I cant stand their bullying, money grubbing ways and havent completed mine yet, and basically will not unless somehow forced. I am lucky to be all cash and not have these other issues, but it is just crazy how doctors allow themselves to be drained by a body that does nothing and provides nothing.

Comment

At my hospital you must be boarded to practice Ob/Gyn or anything else.  You have a few years to obtain this after residency.  I was department chair when this rule went into effect and several people lost their privileges.  Several older docs were grandfathered.  It is certainly an entrenched monopolistic racket.  In Ob/Gyn you would be slaughtered in a malpractice trial if you were not boarded.  I think reform is overdue and the fees have become ridiculous.

Comment

At my hospital you must be boarded to practice Ob/Gyn or anything else.  You have a few years to obtain this after residency.  I was department chair when this rule went into effect and several people lost their privileges.  Several older docs were grandfathered.  It is certainly an entrenched monopolistic racket.  In Ob/Gyn you would be slaughtered in a malpractice trial if you were not boarded.  I think reform is overdue and the fees have become ridiculous.

I dont know how you could be slaughtered in a lawsuit, if you practice the standard of care theres not much else you really need. It actually says that it offers no protection or indemnification on the board site itself.

You mustnt need it at the hospital I have privileges at, but again, I only end up seeing someone in the hospital every couple years. The risks arent nearly the same for me.

Comment

Board certification is required in my hospital, and our group requires it to obtain a contract and remain under contract.

These rules went into effect in other eras when things were not as they are today. Perhaps, in the future they will be modified.

Comment

We've had these discussions on the MEC at my hospital. I wouldn't be surprised to see us not require board certification to be on staff within 5 years, especially if things keep getting worse with regards to fees and MOC.
                              Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Working...
                              X