Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Always double-check the forum you're posting in!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Always double-check the forum you're posting in!

I post here a lot.  I like it.  Even the n00best of the n00bs here is still miles ahead of the game.

I'm on a few other similarly-themed groups on Facebook - Physician Finance, Physicians on FIRE, Doctor Money Matters, Health Professionals Finance Group, to name a few.  Slightly similar level of sophistication in that those without any experience or knowledge have still gone to the correct place to find it, ask questions, listen, and learn from them.  All good.

Recently I joined a few "regular people" Facebook groups, one for SoFi and one for the military, mostly just to lurk about to see what was said.  Maybe I'd learn something.

Anyway, not realizing that was the forum I was in (I thought it was Physician Finance), I made a post in response to an article about PSLF in one of them very similar to this one about the 1% acceptance rate for PSLF, essentially stating that people didn't know anything about their own loans and filled out applications (incorrectly, at that) for something for which they were explicitly not eligible.

And so, not realizing that people wouldn't stop and think about what was said, consider oneself could be incorrect, go back and check on data, or read, I tasted backlash since it's clearly a government conspiracy to defraud us out of money and is entirely the government's fault.  Riiight.  I mean, I would allege incompetence on the federal servicers' part, or maybe they just had entirely too much faith in their borrowers to take ownership and initiative over their debts, but I think suggesting the Dept of Ed is pulling a giant con is maybe a *bit* far-fetched.  At least I let the "Who the ************************ can afford $1200 a month get real" softball just glide on by...in the end, I just felt like a jerk.

Lesson learned: don't try to thrust knowledge on the unwilling, and the government makes a great scapegoat.

Tbf, it is a government "conspiracy" to make programs tough to be able to understand and qualify for, but I get that. Now the chemtrails on the other hand, those are just evil! /s

Have to be careful with normal doctors too. I once tried to discuss that maybe...buying a house in residency maybe its not a great idea on twitter to a recently matched m4. Wow, caught the wrath of them and their followers, tried to finagle gingerly, was insta-blocked. I try not to worry about those that revel in their ignorance and flaunt it about such, life will usually end up correcting this over time.

Comment

It is a tough challenge to make the whole world happy. Or even the subset “doctors”, I’ve learned  8O .
      Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

One of the things I appreciate about this forum and the one on Bogleheads is that they are moderated and civilized, at least for the most part.  I think it is wise to give people the benefit of the doubt and to be kind when responding.  Honest disagreement is fine, but it should hopefully remain civilized.

Comment

While I am not a doc, and am relatively new to the Forum (I posted to the blog for a while just as Larry), I have admired the way this Forum graciously engages and talks through the issue de jour with those who take offense. Thankfully, that appears to be a rare occurrence.

Just as an aside, you all have quite a bit of missionary work to do with your colleagues. I say that because, while I generally ignore the physician specific posts it is clear to me those are valuable to your community. As a result, I have made a game of asking any white coat I meet if they are turned on to WCI. (I work in a non medical affiliate of a large academic hospital system.) Sadly, I am batting .000, though I have convinced a few to give it a try.

Comment

Its good to get outside the echo chamber of a forum. Makes you realize just how far down the path to financial enlightenment you've gone compared to some of your peers

Comment

Its good to get outside the echo chamber of a forum. Makes you realize just how far down the path to financial enlightenment you’ve gone compared to some of your peers

There was a post in a physician spouse group recently asking what kind of timeline people are on for paying off student debt. Of course those paying off more aggressively may have been too shy to respond but for the most part the responses were 15-20 years. That was my echo chamber moment.

Comment

I was encouraged by some neighbors to join "NextDoor". Better than FB, I was told and more relevant to day-to-day community issues.

Top posts have been:

1. Weather manipulation from Jews

2. Weather manipulation from Government

3. Contrail/Chemtrail conspiracies

4. Wireless Routers and how they cause cancer

5. Wireless Smart Meters and how they cause cancer and kill plants.

I'm sure everyone is posting from their wireless phones, which of course, don't cause cancer..... :P

Comment

I was encouraged by some neighbors to join “NextDoor”. Better than FB, I was told and more relevant to day-to-day community issues.

Top posts have been:

I’m sure everyone is posting from their wireless phones, which of course, don’t cause cancer….. ?

I was briefly on Nextdoor when I was selling my home.  From my experience, it was also a bunch of paranoid people worried about a loose dog or someone taking a walk down the street.  Some posts were valid like a stranger knocking on your door at 9 pm, but it was mostly bored people.  Probably the most awkward was a yard guy posting for hire ads when he was very recently arrested as part of a huge drug sting.

Comment

I was encouraged by some neighbors to join “NextDoor”. Better than FB, I was told and more relevant to day-to-day community issues.

Top posts have been:

I’m sure everyone is posting from their wireless phones, which of course, don’t cause cancer….. ?
                    Click to expand…

I was briefly on Nextdoor when I was selling my home.  From my experience, it was also a bunch of paranoid people worried about a loose dog or someone taking a walk down the street.  Some posts were valid like a stranger knocking on your door at 9 pm, but it was mostly bored people.  Probably the most awkward was a yard guy posting for hire ads when he was very recently arrested as part of a huge drug sting.

I wanted to sign up for next door for the laughs as I've heard about it, but the level of information you had to provide was super invasive. No way am I giving all that info for nothing, I'll stick to reading @bestofnextdoor  on twitter.

Comment

Top posts have been:

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

I wanted to sign up for next door for the laughs as I’ve heard about it, but the level of information you had to provide was super invasive. No way am I giving all that info for nothing, I’ll stick to reading @bestofnextdoor  on twitter.

There are a lot of crazies on my neighborhood's Nextdoor group...but they're really good about notifying everyone when bears are in the neighborhood, so I persist.

Comment

Top posts have been:

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

I wanted to sign up for next door for the laughs as I’ve heard about it, but the level of information you had to provide was super invasive. No way am I giving all that info for nothing, I’ll stick to reading @bestofnextdoor  on twitter.

Didn't even know that was a thing.  Yeah, I wasn't big on all the stuff they asked, and since I was moving soon, I dropped it.  I actually joined it to figure out what all the drug bust stuff was because I could see that as being an absolute train wreck on my house sale (luckily, it wasn't).  I'll stick to this as my only social media account.  Way more informational

Comment

Working...
                        X