Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• burritos
    replied

I hate jogging too, too boring and I feel it hurts my joints and legs more than my cardio system.  I do HIIT instead, either sprinting or stationary biking, 15secs on 15secs off (or something similar) as many as I can.  Less than 5mins and I’m wiped.

Yup. There's evidence that high intensity exercise for small amounts of time has as much CV benefits as running 10 miles a day.

Leave a comment:

• fasteddie911
    replied
    I hate jogging too, too boring and I feel it hurts my joints and legs more than my cardio system.  I do HIIT instead, either sprinting or stationary biking, 15secs on 15secs off (or something similar) as many as I can.  Less than 5mins and I'm wiped.

Leave a comment:

• burritos
    replied

I hate running. Tried it many times, and always give up. So boring. Always subconsciously thinking, what am I running from or to? 
    Click to expand…

Boredom solution: Bluetooth headphones + Audible/podcasts

For trail running, you're running away from people and towards endorphin and inner peace high. That said, I find MTBing more pleasurable.

Leave a comment:

• CordMcNally
    replied

My husband mostly climbs, but ever since Memorial Day his workout of choice is what he calls the “Half Murph”. The full thing is a mile run, 100 pull ups, 200 push ups, 300 air squats, run another mile. He halves the numbers and does the workout just about once a week. Definitely getting faster. I hate running for many reasons but one of them is because it’s boring. I don’t think I could do the same workout every week but he seems to enjoy it.
    Click to expand…

Thats pretty intense. With you. I hate running. Tried it many times, and always give up. So boring.

Always subconsciously thinking, what am I running from or to?

I'm in the same boat with my thoughts while running. Podcasts or sports talk radio helps me.

Leave a comment:

• Tyche
    replied

My husband mostly climbs, but ever since Memorial Day his workout of choice is what he calls the “Half Murph”. The full thing is a mile run, 100 pull ups, 200 push ups, 300 air squats, run another mile. He halves the numbers and does the workout just about once a week. Definitely getting faster. I hate running for many reasons but one of them is because it’s boring. I don’t think I could do the same workout every week but he seems to enjoy it.
    Click to expand…

Thats pretty intense. With you. I hate running. Tried it many times, and always give up. So boring.

You're more philosophical than I am. I can't think beyond: can I stop now?

We got back from France, over the weekend my husband was making weirdo comments. By Sunday it became clear I needed to get on a treadmill to prove I'm not some sloth who only drinks wine and sits on the couch. I made it 20 minutes before feeling like I was going to scratch my eyes out, but he was appeased. The next day I did the following workout, with an 18 minute time cap. Two days in a row, two workouts of similar duration. Guess which was harder?

650m run
    5 rounds of:
    10 right arm dumbbell clean & jerk
    10 DB lunge
    10 left arm DB C&J
    10 push ups
    650m run

That workout killed. It's cool if people enjoy strict cardio but I'm of the opinion that HIIT workouts are tougher and more engaging.

Leave a comment:

• Tyche
    replied
    Yea he can't kip, but he's not busting out with 50 of them without breaks. He's getting faster but by doing smaller sets with less time in between.

Leave a comment:

• AR
    replied

Thats pretty good. 14 straight is quite hard actually. Why didn’t you continue? I just realized that pull up is like the ultimate excersize – so many muscles activate and core strength work out.

To really progress, I think you need to add weighted pullups into your regimen.  All the people who I have known that could do more than 25 did a lot of weighted pullups regularly.

Leave a comment:

• AR
    replied

Those are intended to be kipping pullups.  If he's doing legitimate ones, that would be amazing.

Leave a comment:

• jfoxcpacfp
    replied

I hate running. Tried it many times, and always give up. So boring. Always subconsciously thinking, what am I running from or to?

Boredom solution: Bluetooth headphones + Audible/podcasts

Leave a comment:

• Complete_newbie
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Complete_newbie
    replied

it really depends on whether they are kipping or not.  cross fit guys kip and can do a lot more.  classic pullups, very few people can do that many.

when I was young and had to watch out for dinosaurs while walking barefoot to school, they had presidential physical fitness.  pullups are part of the test.  so this gymnastics kid went in front of me and did 35.  he was super strong, short and thin, short arms.  I was pretty amazed and then I knocked out my two.  about ten years ago, I installed a pullup bar in my basement to see how many I could get to with a year of training.  I read a lot about fascial training and weight loss and back/core strength (what is core anyways-is that an anatomical term?).  any how the most I could get to was 12 straight regularly.   on a good day I might get to 14 once in a while.   these were straight pullups, no kipping.

good luck!

I’m well known to be freakishly weak and small hands though.

also not helping me is a general lack of coordination.

Thats pretty good. 14 straight is quite hard actually. Why didn't you continue? I just realized that pull up is like the ultimate excersize - so many muscles activate and core strength work out.

My second peak in competitive running was five years ago (age 47-8). If I could go back to 42, and not have the job and family responsibilities I did then, it would have been even better. At 52 (almost 53), arthritis is starting to play a role and limiting speed and distance. My best (running) days are behind me.  ?

my fear. Age. Time. Really we all talk about money but pssh its time and always has been the most precious thing. We shold all focus on quality time.

To be sure I think while the numbers I said would work, I really have a hard time seeing even elite athletes doing 100 pullups non-stop. No way. I think 50 non-stop and I’m super impressed. If anyone finds real proof of someone going all piston x 100 on the bar let me know. Sure is motivating though. 
    Click to expand…

50 perfect pullups would be super impressive and incredibly rare.  Rare is probably an understatement.

Only place where you see those kinds of numbers is crossfit where they do kipping pullups, which they just call pullups, but are not the same thing at all.

I've been trying to furiously scour youtube but even in bar competitions guys get tired at 15 or so take a break then hit more pull ups. I think 50 straight is a myth. There is simply too much weight pulling yourself up 50 straight times.

Leave a comment:

• Tyche
    replied
    My husband mostly climbs, but ever since Memorial Day his workout of choice is what he calls the "Half Murph". The full thing is a mile run, 100 pull ups, 200 push ups, 300 air squats, run another mile. He halves the numbers and does the workout just about once a week. Definitely getting faster. I hate running for many reasons but one of them is because it's boring. I don't think I could do the same workout every week but he seems to enjoy it.

Leave a comment:

• q-school
    replied
    it really depends on whether they are kipping or not.  cross fit guys kip and can do a lot more.  classic pullups, very few people can do that many.

when I was young and had to watch out for dinosaurs while walking barefoot to school, they had presidential physical fitness.  pullups are part of the test.  so this gymnastics kid went in front of me and did 35.  he was super strong, short and thin, short arms.  I was pretty amazed and then I knocked out my two.  about ten years ago, I installed a pullup bar in my basement to see how many I could get to with a year of training.  I read a lot about fascial training and weight loss and back/core strength (what is core anyways-is that an anatomical term?).  any how the most I could get to was 12 straight regularly.   on a good day I might get to 14 once in a while.   these were straight pullups, no kipping.

good luck!

I'm well known to be freakishly weak and small hands though.

also not helping me is a general lack of coordination.

Leave a comment:

• fasteddie911
    replied
    I think being able to do 50 pullups straight is extremely rare.  As far as flexibility, I really haven't done much for it or even really tested it out over the years.  I know I've never been very flexible to begin with so I don't even bother.

Leave a comment:

• StiveMartyn
    replied
    I also have excess weight problems, a gym - I'm not sure that this will help me! But I'm with you guys ...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X