What would you give...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you give...

I haven't been very active due to vacationing, but mostly to blow off steam (multiple side gigs..NOT easy) I got into Calisthenics. (here are random dudes doing crazy awesome stuff). Anyone here into it? I never got into running (hi Vagabond!) or lifting weight in a gym, but this stuff has me motivated and i've made good gains. Anyone with advice for pull ups please share as that is by far the hardest to achieve in good form (not a crappy pull up).

Also, thinking about it more, I may be gravitated to it because I used to be a good shuffler/break dancer at 20-22, but at 34 its so much harder. This got me thinking, I would gladly pay 5 million to go back a decade. Part of the reason is (hey financial form!) I can make that easily in 10 years.

Anyways, take a break (from bashing FAs): what would you give to go back a decade?

Uhm, I am nowhere near athletic or flexible enough to do that.

I did just join a gym (that my wife has been using for a year) that does circuit kickboxing/cardio/weight training.  Similar to P90X but with trainers and more intense with a shorter time frame -- basically 30 minutes of HIIT without much downtime.  I'm only a couple weeks and it's kicked my butt.

I wouldn't pay 5 million to go back a decade.  I may pay that much to go back two decades (freshman year of college). 
    An alt-brown look at medicine, money, faith, & family
    www.RogueDadMD.com

Comment

I'm 35 and juuust starting to feel the weight that's been piling on for the past 2 years. I've been almost sedentary for some portions of my life and actively biking or hiking regularly in other periods. However that hasn't been enough for me to not feel being 25-30 lbs heavier than I should be. The fact that I can feel it in my knees and it's affecting how I move is a wakeup call that I've been hitting the snooze button on, but I'm starting to get more serious about going back to those activities.

I did join a gym and get a personal trainer for a period of 3 months, but it just wasn't for me. The activities that I do solo are a mental rejuvenation, the activities that I do in a building or with another person (whether they are drill-instructor like, encouraging buddy-like or motivational technique-like) simply are one more thing that I have to sign in for along with the daily workday. It just can't be sustained without mounting overwhelming force of will. I was actually gaining weight during my thrice weekly trainings - and while some of it was muscle, it certainly wasn't all of it.

I don't think in terms of past hypotheticals, but I'd certainly give a lot to rewind my body even three years.

Comment

Uhm, I am nowhere near athletic or flexible enough to do that.

I did just join a gym (that my wife has been using for a year) that does circuit kickboxing/cardio/weight training.  Similar to P90X but with trainers and more intense with a shorter time frame — basically 30 minutes of HIIT without much downtime.  I’m only a couple weeks and it’s kicked my butt.

I wouldn’t pay 5 million to go back a decade.  I may pay that much to go back two decades (freshman year of college).  ?

You'd be surprised. Try doing good form pull up, push up and dip. I swear it activates so many muscles that you'd feel flexible. I dunno, I never found gym appealing and going to a box and lifting weights just got boring. But flying and swinging in a park ... much more fun

If you can stick to HIIT it'll be awesome though! good luck. Post some "Brah" pics later.

I’m 35 and juuust starting to feel the weight that’s been piling on for the past 2 years. I’ve been almost sedentary for some portions of my life and actively biking or hiking regularly in other periods. However that hasn’t been enough for me to not feel being 25-30 lbs heavier than I should be. The fact that I can feel it in my knees and it’s affecting how I move is a wakeup call that I’ve been hitting the snooze button on, but I’m starting to get more serious about going back to those activities.

I did join a gym and get a personal trainer for a period of 3 months, but it just wasn’t for me. The activities that I do solo are a mental rejuvenation, the activities that I do in a building or with another person (whether they are drill-instructor like, encouraging buddy-like or motivational technique-like) simply are one more thing that I have to sign in for along with the daily workday. It just can’t be sustained without mounting overwhelming force of will. I was actually gaining weight during my thrice weekly trainings – and while some of it was muscle, it certainly wasn’t all of it.

I don’t think in terms of past hypotheticals, but I’d certainly give a lot to rewind my body even three years.

100% mindset like yours lego.

By the way, is there an age limit to hiking/mountain climbing? where I live I don't have great hiking trails or mountains but hopefully I don't run out of time to do that later in life...

Comment

I would not pay to be younger.  You have to enjoy the stage that you are in.  To reinvigorate myself I just got an Apple watch 3.  I am compulsive enough to want to close the 3 exercise rings most days.  At one time I worked out with a trainer and could do one pull up.  I was in my 40s.  This was interesting because I could never do one in high school.  I went to an exercise class earlier so I have closed the exercise ring.

Comment

There was a fairly recent Bogleheads thread about the kind of workout you're interested in - some good posts on pull ups, specifically.  I am particularly envious of your breakdancing skills.  Tried it out once watching some videos and nearly broke my wrist.

I don't think I'd pay a lot to go back 10 years, but I would consider paying to go back to high school.  Bet I could throw the football over them mountains.

Comment

There was a fairly recent Bogleheads thread about the kind of workout you’re interested in – some good posts on pull ups, specifically.  I am particularly envious of your breakdancing skills.  Tried it out once watching some videos and nearly broke my wrist.

I don’t think I’d pay a lot to go back 10 years, but I would consider paying to go back to high school.  Bet I could throw the football over them mountains.

Eat your food, Tina! (one of the best movies ever!)

Comment

I recently joined this metabolic reboot program.  it is about developing eating healthy ( I thought I was doing that already!).  There is always room for improvement.  They are talking about metabolic age and improving it.  I never got to know what my metabolic age is. I just want to improve my numbers and decrease fat.  Surprisingly, I feel less hungry but it really entails some discipline.  It also makes me think how I convey the message to my patients when I tell them diet and exercise.  Due to time limitation, I stick to hiit and home video exercises.  I keep wanting to join gym, spin class, hiit but timing is an issue.  maybe when my kids are not too dependent, i'll have more time.

I really think there are programs for health to develop motivation then habits.

I have always wanted to do pull ups without assist- I have bought those assist contraption and still failing at it. I've done some yoga but push ups is always a struggle.  Maybe my shoulders are not really up for it.

Comment

I would not pay to be younger.  You have to enjoy the stage that you are in.  To reinvigorate myself I just got an Apple watch 3.  I am compulsive enough to want to close the 3 exercise rings most days.  At one time I worked out with a trainer and could do one pull up.  I was in my 40s.  This was interesting because I could never do one in high school.  I went to an exercise class earlier so I have closed the exercise ring.

hmmm - I need to figure that out. I'm probably the only person in the history of Apple watches who uses it just to tell time. My friend has been trying to show me what it can do but then she goes back home and I get distracted or forget. But I go to the gym most days. If I can get my Apple watch to get me excited about the treadmill, that would be awesome.
                  Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

There was a fairly recent Bogleheads thread about the kind of workout you’re interested in – some good posts on pull ups, specifically.  I am particularly envious of your breakdancing skills.  Tried it out once watching some videos and nearly broke my wrist.

I don’t think I’d pay a lot to go back 10 years, but I would consider paying to go back to high school.  Bet I could throw the football over them mountains.

I have a pull up bar in my office. Was throwing up around 50/day(Not in a row of course. 1-4 per patient). Now I have this nagging lateral epicodylitis. So now I'm just hanging on the bar. It's also messing up my piano time.

Comment

Click to expand…

I have a pull up bar in my office. Was throwing up around 50/day(Not in a row of course. 1-4 per patient). Now I have this nagging lateral epicodylitis. So now I’m just hanging on the bar. It’s also messing up my piano time.

It might not be as fun but there are many ways to practice without making a sound.

I haven't weighed in over a year but I suspect I'm the heaviest I've ever been. Not just muscle, plenty of fat. Yet I have no doubt I'm the strongest and most cardiovascular-ly fit I've ever been. A decade ago there's no way I could do what I do now.

Also, that video is insane. I'm OK with having calloused hands but even rope climbs are a hard pass.

Comment

Click to expand…

Eat your food, Tina! (one of the best movies ever!)

I was in first year of med school when that movie was out.  A group of friends and I watched it probably a dozen times together.  If I had a dollar for every time I said "Lucky!" in med school, I'd be FI already, lol.

Comment

I wouldn't give anything, if we're talking about fitness, I'm in pretty much the same shape as I was back then.  I've been a gym person since middle school.  Ran the gamut of disciplines, powerlifting, bodybuilding (a feeble attempt), and now I stick with primarily bodyweight exercises and sometimes moderate weights.  I find pushups, pullups, core work to be sufficient going on 5+yrs now.  For pullups, I'd keep at it, maybe have someone assist you to get those reps in.

Comment

Thanks ENT I'll check it out. Ha! if you saw me breaking out now you'll laugh. I've lost like 75% of the moves. Its not just moves its transitioning in and out of moves that requires lots of flexibility and core strength.

Click to expand…

I have a pull up bar in my office. Was throwing up around 50/day(Not in a row of course. 1-4 per patient). Now I have this nagging lateral epicodylitis. So now I’m just hanging on the bar. It’s also messing up my piano time.

If you can do 50 pull ups (which is awesome!) you should try muscle ups or hand stands. You are there already!

I wouldn’t give anything, if we’re talking about fitness, I’m in pretty much the same shape as I was back then.  I’ve been a gym person since middle school.  Ran the gamut of disciplines, powerlifting, bodybuilding (a feeble attempt), and now I stick with primarily bodyweight exercises and sometimes moderate weights.  I find pushups, pullups, core work to be sufficient going on 5+yrs now.  For pullups, I’d keep at it, maybe have someone assist you to get those reps in.

Thanks! Yea the problem is to do more advance moves I'm told to be able to do 50 straight pull ups in good form...yea...about that. I am at 3 right now lol. But for calisthenics moves, a guy I know you does it, told me to be able to effortlessly do

50-100 pull ups

100 pushups

50+ dips

50+ good squats or L squats.

Lets see how far I get.

While you are same shape, do you think you are same flexible though? I am certainly not but may be because I got out of shape? everytime I'm at the bars practicing the guys doing crazy moves are all under 25. Feels like we lose flexibility for sure as we age...

Comment

f you can do 50 pull ups (which is awesome!) you should try muscle ups or hand stands. You are there already!

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I can do 50 in the course of a shift. 1-4 at a time, not in a row.

Comment

Working...
                              X