The White Ferrari in Doc Parking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To the OP

Guaranteed the guy with Ferrari doesn't give a hoot about what people think or say. He is not thinking about you. And he is probably enjoying his car and he derives happiness out of it (probably).

Which begs the question: whats really wrong here?

Comment

Just goes to show how much peoples bias is when considering things. In my mind, I always just go by the amount of money Im willing to spend and see what I can get, never get bogged down in brand stuff. So many country good old boys out there with 100k trucks and no one looks at them like their crazy spendthrifts.

Click to expand…

Man, so true.

Having recently considered and researched a pickup truck purchase I am now very bemused by the ubiquity of full sized trucks esp outside of big cities. They are definitely luxury goods with high purchase price and high cost of ownership in terms of fuel etc. I mean I still want one, but not yet, and to be fair not until I actually have somewhere to park it.

It doesn’t take anything to get to $50-60k on a full size pickup purchase. You can get a whole heckuva lot of sedan for that.

Yep.  Doctor lot here in the boonies is full of raptors and king ranches..

Comment

I really enjoyed the YNAB podcast on buyer's remorselessness.

https://soundcloud.com/iynab/322-buyers-remoreselessness

In it Jesse (YNAB founder) talks about his decision to buy a Tesla.  He actually had to go to counseling to figure out if it was ok!  He was for so long watching every penny and is frugal in his heart and super debt adverse.  He decided to lease it as a 3 yr experiment.  He now says he has "buyers remorselessness" - he is happy with the purchase and it still puts a smile on his face.  I have to say that my Tesla does the same for me - stomping on the accelerator is still thrilling 2 yrs later.  That being said - I'd say some cars come with baggage.  A Ferrari/Lambo/Bentley is going to turn some heads and spark feelings from others (mostly negative ones).  I still think for a doctor "stealth wealth" makes sense while you are practicing for most of us, but don't be afraid to make purchases that are in line with what makes you happy. But couple that with modesty and humility in your interactions with others.

Comment

Is the economy better off if one spends 100k on a car or if one donates 100k to feed the homeless or one just banks 100k? I think the first choice is better.

Comment

A Tesla seems to be the status symbol of choice around here. Not only does it scream “I have money” but you get to also scream “I care more about the planet than you do.” But my group is mostly Leafs, Priuses, Accords, Suburbans etc. My 13 year old Sequoia with 217K miles is most definitely not out of place.

If female with a tight outfit asks you if the outfit makes em look fat(which it does), do you generally say yes?

Comment

I wonder what the hospital administrators who watch Dr. Loadsamoney get into his Ferrari think.

"Wow, these MD's already have cash coming out of their ears.  I can't believe they already want another raise."

Or

"Wow, I can't imagine how much that must cost.  Between that and his yacht and his mansion, once he realizes how uncompetitively he's paid he's sure to bolt for the highest bidder."

Either way I don't think the Scrooge McDoc stereotype is good for the profession.  I hope that my biking to work, Costco wardrobe, and brown bag lunches do a little to counterbalance that.

Comment

I wonder what the hospital administrators who watch Dr. Loadsamoney get into his Ferrari think.

“Wow, these MD’s already have cash coming out of their ears.  I can’t believe they already want another raise.”

Or

“Wow, I can’t imagine how much that must cost.  Between that and his yacht and his mansion, once he realizes how uncompetitively he’s paid he’s sure to bolt for the highest bidder.”

Either way I don’t think the Scrooge McDoc stereotype is good for the profession.  I hope that my biking to work, Costco wardrobe, and brown bag lunches do a little to counterbalance that.

How far do you bike? I've been considering it for years, but in my area one dentist and one doctor have both been killed in the last 10 years.

Comment

“Wow, these MD’s already have cash coming out of their ears.  I can’t believe they already want another raise.”

Or

“Wow, I can’t imagine how much that must cost.  Between that and his yacht and his mansion, once he realizes how uncompetitively he’s paid he’s sure to bolt for the highest bidder.”

Either way I don’t think the Scrooge McDoc stereotype is good for the profession.  I hope that my biking to work, Costco wardrobe, and brown bag lunches do a little to counterbalance that.

Click to expand…

How far do you bike? I’ve been considering for years, but in my area one dentist and one doctor have both been killed in the last 10 years.

4 miles on a pretty safe route.  Sometimes longer (25 yesterday) if that is my exercise for the day.

Comment

Or

Click to expand…

How far do you bike? I’ve been considering for years, but in my area one dentist and one doctor have both been killed in the last 10 years.
                    Click to expand…

4 miles on a pretty safe route.  Sometimes longer (25 yesterday) if that is my exercise for the day.

People who bike to work is something that really makes me more envious than anything else.

Comment

Or

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

People who bike to work is something that really makes me more envious than anything else.

I'm pretty lucky to have a good route and just as important a free gym with showers at work.  It would absolutely be one of the things about this job I'd miss the most.

I think in most larger cities you can find a decent route.  Exceptions are in rural areas with just a fast two lane highway, or on the coasts where you have to cross a scary bridge.

I don't ever feel unsafe, even though I was sideswiped a couple of years ago (managed to get out of that unscathed).  I'm not sure I would still bike all over town if I had dependents or a huge student loan burden.

Comment

Or

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

I’m pretty lucky to have a good route and just as important a free gym with showers at work.  It would absolutely be one of the things about this job I’d miss the most.

I think in most larger cities you can find a decent route.  Exceptions are in rural areas with just a fast two lane highway, or on the coasts where you have to cross a scary bridge.

I don’t ever feel unsafe, even though I was sideswiped a couple of years ago (managed to get out of that unscathed).  I’m not sure I would still bike all over town if I had dependents or a huge student loan burden.

My situation as well. It's almost certainly safer for me to bike esp considering that when I take the bus I'm often standing up as the bus does down Lake Shore. I go about 1/4 mile on bike to the lakeshore path and even less when I get off it to the hospital.

Often bike city streets at night when there's no traffic, it's a really cool way to experience the city.

I would never bike to work without a bike path, seen too many traumas. Door vs speeding bike... ugh.

Comment

Yesterday as I was cycling home a lady in a Ford Focus pulled up beside me and rolled the window down.  Usually when this happens I slow down, take my headphones off, and listen, as I expect to hear something important, like my wallet fell out of the pocket I forgot to zip.  No, this motorist asked if I had a couple of dollars I could spare her - panhandling while driving!  Luckily no other cars around.  I try not to worry about how many people like this are out on the road, probably either high or in withdrawal.

Comment

Yesterday as I was cycling home a lady in a Ford Focus pulled up beside me and rolled the window down.  Usually when this happens I slow down, take my headphones off, and listen, as I expect to hear something important, like my wallet fell out of the pocket I forgot to zip.  No, this motorist asked if I had a couple of dollars I could spare her – panhandling while driving!  Luckily no other cars around.  I try not to worry about how many people like this are out on the road, probably either high or in withdrawal.

At least it wasn't a Ford Raptor

Comment

White Ferrari? Classic Tubs and Crocket, Miami Vice! He have a linen jacket and sunglasses, too?

Comment

Very entertaining posts. I definitely fall into the "overly-smug-because-I-drive-a-cheap-vehicle" category, but I don't feel too bad about it.

Right now I'm feeling downright spendypants since I'm building a $2000 high-powered e-bike for a longer bike commute in my mountain town (no showers where I work here in the southeast).

Comment

Working...
                                X