The White Ferrari in Doc Parking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The White Ferrari in Doc Parking

you all know the car in doc parking that is a little over the top and kind of embarrasses you as a doc as you walk to your honda (embarrassed because of what patients will think of the doctors at the hospital as a whole if they flaunt money like that and embarrassed because you parked your functional beater next to a $200k marvel)  . . . the white ferrari in our doc parking section which is right by our multi specialty clinic and hospital is that for our clinic/hospital . . . i never knew which doctor drove it until today when I saw one of the 2 least respected doctors of our ?150 doctor hospital popping out of it.  He is the type that you wonder how he ever passed any boards, doesn't know whether to call a neurology or GI consult etc.  Mind blown when I saw him hopping out of it.

Thanks for listening to the rant, economic discordance with medical ability? vengeful? jealous?

Why be jealous? He put his money into a massively devaluing asset. That alone should bring a smile to your face.

Comment

Yea, I guess your right . . . just a shocker

Comment

You'd be surprised with depreciation how much these things can cost.  Browsing autotrader (while I procrastinate), I find multiple late-2000's Ferrari's on sale for less than 100K.  Unless you're sure of the year/model, it may not be worth nearly as much as you think.

Comment

Few things made me prouder as a new attending than parking my 2 door Honda Civic in the doc lot next to BMWs and Audis. Like WCI says - drive a beater, get rich.
          https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/drive-a-beater-get-rich/

One of our least beloved physicians at the hospital drives a brightly colored Corvette with a personalized license plate. At least it’s easy to spot him coming.

Comment

I have made some unwise car purchases over the years but nothing ever over the top. I bought expensive cars when I really could not afford them, and now that I can afford them, I am not interested in them.

Our overnight ER doc drives a Lotus (?). I had a former partner that drove a Ferrari and a current partner that drives a Porsche 911. Those are the fancy cars in the doc lot, which is mostly populated by Honda’s, Toyota’s, Nissan’s, VW’s, and various pickup trucks. In fact, on average, the nurses seem to drive nicer cars than the docs per my informal surveying.

Comment

There seems to be a consistent pattern to this.

Our least loved pan-consulter hospitalist drives a Bentley.

Voicing similar opinion as Vagabond MD, I have noticed nurses in general driving nicer cars/trucks (expensive pickups, mustangs to name a few).

Comment

In the hospital I used to work at, one of my senior colleagues had a nice brand new 911. He replaced it every other year with a new one. He also had a Cayenne Turbo that he used during the snow season. You look at him and he looks like a homeless man, rough around the edges, sometimes might appear borderline rude. However, he is one of the best docs in the hospital once you interact with him and scratch the surface. He has no family and has been working his butt off for 35 years. Even though this might not always be the case, what I am trying to say is that sometimes people are very different once you actually get to know them. I am fine driving my older car but I am happy for my partners who drive fancy cars. Also something to keep in mind is that some people have family money or other sources of income and the fancy lifestyle might be fueled by those rather than medicine.

And a white Ferrari, come on, a Ferrari must be ROSSA! (waving my hand)

Comment

Nurses drive white BMWs at an alarmingly high frequency.

You'd be surprised at how cheaply you can grab an Aston Martin, Maserati, etc...after a year or two, probably the most savings one can find on similar things, the depreciation is amazing. Lotus for example are downright cheap, but if you've ever been in one you understand as its appointed like a go kart because thats what its for really.

I just went to cars.com and one of the first Ferraris is a 2002 with 30k miles for 63k. Doesnt seem too bad, and for 85-95k (aka tesla money) you can get a more recent one 2012-2015 and even convertible. Not bad at all but of course not something you'd drive daily, which makes it even more expensive.

Comment

In the hospital I used to work at, one of my senior colleagues had a nice brand new 911. He replaced it every other year with a new one. He also had a Cayenne Turbo that he used during the snow season. You look at him and he looks like a homeless man, rough around the edges, sometimes might appear borderline rude. However, he is one of the best docs in the hospital once you interact with him and scratch the surface. He has no family and has been working his butt off for 35 years. Even though this might not always be the case, what I am trying to say is that sometimes people are very different once you actually get to know them. I am fine driving my older car but I am happy for my partners who drive fancy cars. Also something to keep in mind is that some people have family money or other sources of income and the fancy lifestyle might be fueled by those rather than medicine.

And a white Ferrari, come on, a Ferrari must be ROSSA! (waving my hand)

They don't call it "resale red" for nothing.   :mrgreen:

Comment

Meh. Someone daily drives an Aston here. Also they are most likely leasing it anyways.

I'm still waiting for Tesla's to reach Honda affordability levels then bam!

Comment

There seems to be a consistent pattern to this.

Our least loved pan-consulter hospitalist drives a Bentley.

Voicing similar opinion as Vagabond MD, I have noticed nurses in general driving nicer cars/trucks (expensive pickups, mustangs to name a few).

Yes it's the nurse purchases that wow me more!

Comment

I don't really care what anyone else drives.  Their money, their choice.  Neither embarrasses nor impresses me.

Unless it's the 30 something y.o. MBA hospital administrator driving it.  Then I might grumble a little bit.

Comment

This thread is ridiculous to me. What’s wrong with a doctor owning a Ferrari? Is there some sort of unwritten criteria? Every major purchase doesn’t have to be an investment.

Comment

Peacocks aren't the only ones that peacock. Not that it's a bad thing. I think peacocks are beautiful.

Comment

Working...
                              X