Email signature - include everything or practice "stealth wealth"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email signature - include everything or practice "stealth wealth"

I'm about to finish residency and was going through all the things that need to be changed upon graduation, one of which was changing my digital signature on my personal email account (I won't have a dedicated work email). Previously, I had name, degree, PGY status and hospital affiliation. I was wondering what makes the most sense upon graduating and what other people include. On one hand, it seems like a good idea to include everything for easy reference, while on the other hand, practicing "stealth wealth" would suggest including nothing. While most friends/family/peers will already know my status, I do use the account for just about everything so everybody would see that signature at the bottom. So... I was curious on the thoughts of the group.

1) Nothing

2) John Smith

3) John Smith, MD

4) John Smith, MD

Name of Practice

5) John Smith, MD

Name of Practice

Address and phone number of practice

6) Other

Never have anything other than just my name. Even that gets deleted if I want to use a pseudonym.

I can always add things but might inadvertently disclose more info that I need to if I put in all the info in the digital signature.

Comment

I have a work email and personal email. I have a professional signature at the bottom for my work email only. Personal email has no information except for my name.

Comment

I would recommend getting a completely different email account for work.  I don't have a signature for my personal email--people using that account either already know me or I don't want them to have my info--if I do I send it to them.  My work email has a signature with name and credentials, job title, but not phone number or address.

Comment

Both personal and work e-mails for myself do not have a signature.  If I'm e-mailing people at work, either they know who I am, or I introduce myself in the body of the e-mail.  If it's outside of work, they don't need to know my occupation.

Comment

I don't have a signature but usually just put my first name at the bottom for my work and personal email. As jhwkr542 said, if I'm using my work email, they're usually already familiar, if not, I'll touch on that in the email. For personal stuff, my occupation and credentials have nothing to do with the subject.

I will say that I subconsciously roll my eyes whenever I see John Doe, RN, BS, ACCNS, CCRN, LOL, ROFL, LMNOP, QRST.

Comment

I will say that I subconsciously roll my eyes whenever I see John Doe, RN, BS, ACCNS, CCRN, LOL, ROFL, LMNOP, QRST.

More like...

Sincerely,

John Doe, RN, BS, ACCNS, CCRN, LOL, ROFL, LMNOP, QRST, Diretor of Office Adminstrative Compliance Directory Oversight Review Subcommittee

Vice chair of the Division Nobody Knows About (DNKA)

Assistant to the Assitant to the Regional Manager (AARM)

State Hospital System, an affiliate of efficient business practice corporations of America

1000 Hospital Hill Road (lol, I wouldn't even get the mail if you sent it to this address)

Springfield, ST, USA

Hospital phone number:  (123) 555-0000 (lol, see above)

Desk phone number: (123) 555-1234 (lol, I'm never here)

email:  [email protected] (because if you're still reading, you probably couldn't figure out where to find my e-mail address)

"The measure of a man is directly proportional to the number of certifications after his name." Leviticus 34:50

Comment

I would see notes from a doc every once in a while and after his name was MD, DVM. I was always thinking I’d probably leave the DVM off if that were me.

Comment

I would see notes from a doc every once in a while and after his name was MD, DVM. I was always thinking I’d probably leave the DVM off if that were me.

In a pinch, he probably can surgicate on more species than you can.  So there's that...

Comment

An IT person would put their hours of work. Don’t really know what the objective of that was...

Comment

i don't think it's douchey to have a signature on your work email. providing professional contacts with things like alternate contacts, mailing address, title etc can actually be very helpful.

titles, biz address, fax, affiliation are pretty standard.

Comment

If it is not a purely business email I would leave it off.

Stealth wealth is always the answer.

I tell people I’m a doctor with the same regularity I tell them my social security number.

Comment

If you’re a nurse put ever degree you’ve received from kindergarten on.. also make sure to put what director roles you carry

If you’re a doc lose the sig. just go with your first name. just my opinion though. Obviously not a big deal either way

Comment

I won’t have a dedicated work email

But it's not 1978?!?!

Comment

I would recommend getting a completely different email account for work.

also, i'd do:

2) John Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X