Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schadenfreude? ?

Well played.

Probably a bit, but nothing like the celebrations by the British or Brazilians or the Mexicans. There was a video of a group of Mexicans tossing a Korean up and down the air with joy after they helped Mexico go through to the round of 16.

I admire the brutal honesty of the German coach who stated that his team's performance was abysmal and they never deserved to advance further after the way they played. Unlike other teams who will blame everyone from the opposing team cheating, the referee's poor decisions and even the sun gods.

Comment

Schadenfreude? ?
      Click to expand…

Well played.

Probably a bit but nothing like the celebrations by the British or Brazilians or the Mexicans. There was a video of a group of Mexicans tossing a Korean up and down the air with joy after they helped Mexico go through to the round of 16.

I admire the brutal honesty of the German coach who stated that his team’s performance was abysmal and they never deserved to advance further after the way they played. Unlike other teams who will blame everyone from the opposing team cheating, the referee’s poor decisions and even the sun gods.

Thats z gierman vay

#stoic'd

they'll be back as soon; they have to just tinker the german machine thats gathering some rust right now.

Anyways, exciting tournament. I don't watch much soccer but I do appreciate sports quite a bit and this has been riveting stuff. It only comes around 4 years and people not watching this are totally missing out specially after the snooze fest of NBA finals.

Also bring on college football already!

Comment

Awesome World Cup so far, the most entertaining one I can remember and we are not even in the knockout rounds yet!  The pure joy and elation exhibited by some of these teams, even in a loss or a win with no advancement to the knock out rounds is simply awesome to watch.  It was crazy to see the Mexican fans cheering after their team had just lost, because the Korea/Germany game had 10+ min of stoppage time with all kinds of craziness going down in those final minutes.  And then on the other hand watching the pouring emotions (from players and fans alike) from being eliminated from the World Cup is something to watch as well--you can just feel how much it means to them and their country.  Can't wait to see some of these heavyweights duke it out over the weekend and especially Mexico/Brazil on Monday.

Comment

Watching the despair on the South Korean and German teams, particularly the switch from pure joy following the second goal to utter defeat on the faces of South Korea's players when they realized Mexico got blown out was gut wrenching.  This world cup has been awesome.

Comment

We can be rest assured the magic from group rounds is continuing.

10 goals between two knockout games. If there ever was a tournament to show soccer haters (not a hater but I dont watch it other than every 4 years) it's this one. Amazing goals, so many goals, and very dramatic. David taking down goliaths to boot.

#areyounotentertained

Comment

The two main superstars coming n the tournament, Ronaldo and Messi crash out in the round of 16.

Comment

The flopping is out of control and ruins the game. Should be easy to video review the flops and eject the egregious floppers on the spot. Once they learned they’d be ejected and put their teams at a huge disadvantage for trying it it would be away.

The refs also miss about half of the offsides calls, calling it when it isn’t (most often), or not calling it when it is.

Comment

As they say, 'lulz'

Insight of the week

These pre-tournament predictions from major financial institutions:

a) Commerzbank – showcasing their financial analysis and data modelling tools last month, running “10,000 stochastic simulations” to reveal Germany as clear 2018 World Cup winners.

b) Goldman Sachs – using “data mining, machine learning and econometrics” in 1,000,000 simulations to tip Germany as finalists and Saudi Arabia as the surprise package.

c) Danske Bank – analysing “thousands of data simulations while factoring in economic variables”, also putting Germany in the final.

And d) UBS – showing off the “econometric tools used by the UBS wealth-management arm to pick stocks for clients” by running a “calibrated statistical model” featuring “a Monte Carlo simulation to draw in random variables, instead of just mapping out all the different constellations”. UBS said “applying the tools and insights from our investment process and relying on a quantitative framework” produced “a model with a high degree of accuracy”. Their conclusion, reached via “10,000 virtual tournaments”: Germany will win the final, “after an easy start”.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/01/world-cup-2018-diary-diego-maradona-fifa-neymar

Comment

Riveting finish between Russia and Spain.  While I like a good story, considering how venal FIFA is, I want to see the host team out of the tournament as quickly as possible.  Hopefully Croatia can take care of business.

Comment

I hate PK shootouts. I wish they’d make them corner kick shootouts instead to get the whole team involved—how cool would that be?

Comment

Some pretty incredible goal-tending in the Denmark-Croatia game.

Comment

Breaking news, Spain just made their 100,000th pass

Hopefully we don't get extra time PK shootout in the matches today.  Looking forward to Brazil/Mexico and some goal scoring from Belgium!

Comment

What a match between Japan and Belgium.

Comment

Awesome matches yesterday.  I love that Japan didn't bunker down and just go for PKs like some other countries like Russia.  What an exciting game.  The Brazil/Mexico game was fun too, except for Neymar's theatrics.  I think he is still rolling around on the ground as we speak....

Comment

This world cup. So insane.

The best thing happening sports wise. Lebron to LA? Whatever; GSW getting richer? What else is new - NBA the worst sport next year. Baseball? Yea Yanks and Boston doing well (heard that before?). Only college football and college bball is exciting. And now this. Who knew soccer would be this exciting.

Also, just heard, Neymar to get Emmy for best acting.

Comment

Working...
                                X