Fire and Fury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire and Fury

Had a chance to read on recent vacation while traveling.

Pretty entertaining. Also read Homo deus and didn't get the hype.

Thoughts? Happy Monday.

I think this book has been raked over the coals in both conservative and liberal circles as being a gossip piece and insinuating affairs that have zero proof of occurring. Confirmation bias is probably in full effect for any choosing to read it.

Comment

Confirmation bias

Totally with you. Still, would like 30 for 30 for entertainment purpose

Comment

Obviously not a problem as long as you realize it's probably a book version of Us magazine. :-)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2018/01/09/how-did-michael-wolffs-fire-and-fury-get-past-a-fact-checker-its-not-clear-that-the-book-was-vetted/?utm_term=.f692322f809f

Comment

Loved Homo Deus! (Not especially interested in the other one...)

Comment

Loved Homo Deus! (Not especially interested in the other one…)

What are you reading recently Vagabond?

Comment

Loved Homo Deus! (Not especially interested in the other one…)
              Click to expand…

What are you reading recently Vagabond?

Just finished the "Rocket Men" audiobook. It was FABULOUS! The story of the Apollo 8 mission, the first manned flight to the moon's orbit. You felt like you were on the spaceship with them. Those guys were real heroes, and they did for all of the right reasons- for country, for the sense of adventure, for love of flying, and to push themselves to their limits, not for fame or fortune (though both were a natural consequence).

We could sure use some leaders and role models like them today.

Recently read my first Jack Reacher novel (needed to see what all the fuss was over) and the James Comey book (audiobook read by author), also excellent. For the frugalistas here, all three were downloads from the public library.

Comment

Enlightenment now is good (sort of touches on the thread about overprotecting kids).

Endurance is also a good listen.

Comment

Isn’t the library great! Between downloading ebooks and checking out analog versions I can’t remember the last book I personally purchased. I almost feel guilty that I’m not supporting my neighborhood bookstore. Almost.

Comment

I had to google Fire and Fury.  I will take a pass.  I have been binge watching Netflix instead of reading. Oh except for all the blogs I now follow

Comment

I think this book has been raked over the coals in both conservative and liberal circles as being a gossip piece and insinuating affairs that have zero proof of occurring. Confirmation bias is probably in full effect for any choosing to read it.

Any sources for this?  Specifically, the liberal circles raking it over the coals.

As far as the content was concerned, it's been a while since I read it (and I wasn't really giving it a lot of attention) and read about the fallout.  There are lots of quotes in there directly from sources who haven't specifically denied anything but say that it's generally inaccurate.   The publisher is basically daring anyone to try to sue for defamation or libel and nothing has come of that yet, to my knowledge.  If I remember correctly, and I may not, the only confirmed error was that he made a mistake about someone's first name.

Also as far as insinuating affairs, Wolff went on TV and specifically said he didn't have enough evidence to write about the affair, so he didn't.  He did say that readers might be able to figure it out.  He never clarified what he meant.  That was not great though.  But if you read the book without knowing that (I did), there is nothing in there which insinuates one.  After Wolff's interview, there was an extremely innocuous part about Haley, so a lot of people guessed it was her.   He never said anything, but the insinuation was in the interview and not the book.

I don't think it's like earth-shattering stuff, but it's entertaining.  You're probably right about the confirmation bias, though. It's very unlikely to change anyone's mind about anything.

Comment

I've heard from all sides he writes like hes trying very hard to write like an amazing writer, and it's a little tiresome. Not Sean Penn level but distracting.

Comment

Got great entertainment

Information of unverified veracity

Comment

I’ve heard from all sides he writes like hes trying very hard to write like an amazing writer, and it’s a little tiresome. Not Sean Penn level but distracting.

I guess I can see that.  But no one is reading it for the great writing.

Might actually be a plus, though.  There is all sorts commercially super successful stuff, that is written horribly.  Just ask anyone who writes for a living what they think of 50 Shades of Grey, for example.  It sounds so awful, I almost want to read it to see how bad the writing really is.

Comment

Click to expand…

Any sources for this?  Specifically, the liberal circles raking it over the coals.

As far as the content was concerned, it’s been a while since I read it (and I wasn’t really giving it a lot of attention) and read about the fallout.  There are lots of quotes in there directly from sources who haven’t specifically denied anything but say that it’s generally inaccurate.   The publisher is basically daring anyone to try to sue for defamation or libel and nothing has come of that yet, to my knowledge.  If I remember correctly, and I may not, the only confirmed error was that he made a mistake about someone’s first name.

Also as far as insinuating affairs, Wolff went on TV and specifically said he didn’t have enough evidence to write about the affair, so he didn’t.  He did say that readers might be able to figure it out.  He never clarified what he meant.  That was not great though.  But if you read the book without knowing that (I did), there is nothing in there which insinuates one.  After Wolff’s interview, there was an extremely innocuous part about Haley, so a lot of people guessed it was her.   He never said anything, but the insinuation was in the interview and not the book.

I don’t think it’s like earth-shattering stuff, but it’s entertaining.  You’re probably right about the confirmation bias, though. It’s very unlikely to change anyone’s mind about anything.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2018/01/09/how-did-michael-wolffs-fire-and-fury-get-past-a-fact-checker-its-not-clear-that-the-book-was-vetted/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.5ddfbc12a0a0

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/06/576197745/fire-and-fury-sourcing-under-scrutiny

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/books/2018/01/fire_and_fury_by_michael_wolff_reviewed.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/07/michael-wolffs-fire-and-fury-some-of-the-facts-just-dont-stack-up.html

www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1801/05/nday.02.html

And then there's this regarding his affair comments:

https://nltimes.nl/2018/02/23/trump-critic-michael-wolff-scraps-dutch-appearances-contentious-interview

The guy is clearly a hack.  This is clearly demonstrated when you go on NBC and say that if "parts of the book ring true for you, it is true".  That is one heck of a journalistic standard.  Good work, Wolff.  He is also immoral.  You don't go on multiple TV interviews and ask viewers to "read between the lines" about the affair issue with zero evidence.  That's just disgusting behavior.  One of the (liberal) female news reporters took him to task over this, pointing out how disgusting it was.  And she wasn't the only one.  Again, if you're inclined to dislike the president then you'll be inclined to find much of his gossip ringing true.  So I guess then it is true.  But I think by objective journalistic standards this book isn't worth much.  You simply can't trust it.

Comment

Working...
                              X