The Obesity Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Obesity Code

Has anyone else read this book? I am about halfway in and my mind is being blown.

I added it to my amazon cart for my next order, but then I realized he has 3 books that look like they are all the same (Obesity Code, Diabetes Code, Guide to Fasting).  For some reason--fair or not--this always sets off my spidey-sense of charlatanism....

Comment

Haven't read the others, but Obesity Code seems to be laying the foundation and going over all the data (not his data btw). My guess is the fasting book is the how to.

Comment

Is it a diet book?

Comment

Sounds a bit fantastical from the snippet, "everything is wrong", "all dependent on hormones". Of course there is a hormonal component but the weight its given and implication is bs. Weight loss and diet are simple. It is very much analogous to finance and savings. Make better decisions every day, build on those decisions and let the results compound.

I get tired of these diet book that make it out to be some revelation, or that counting calories is wrong because X, when in reality X is simply a nuance. Caloric restriction always works. Always. Do it serious enough and long enough you die. It is not that hard to understand. The rest of it is fine tuning and finding something that works for you on a long term lifestyle basis. No such thing as a diet that works, just a change in your lifestyle that you can do.

If you eat enough of any food, a small amount of the worst food you can gain/lose weight. I've done both. I need to write a dieting book I guess.

Comment

Sounds a bit fantastical from the snippet, “everything is wrong”, “all dependent on hormones”. Of course there is a hormonal component but the weight its given and implication is bs. Weight loss and diet are simple. It is very much analogous to finance and savings. Make better decisions every day, build on those decisions and let the results compound.

I get tired of these diet book that make it out to be some revelation, or that counting calories is wrong because X, when in reality X is simply a nuance. Caloric restriction always works. Always. Do it serious enough and long enough you die. It is not that hard to understand. The rest of it is fine tuning and finding something that works for you on a long term lifestyle basis. No such thing as a diet that works, just a change in your lifestyle that you can do.

If you eat enough of any food, a small amount of the worst food you can gain/lose weight. I’ve done both. I need to write a dieting book I guess.

It's not a dieting book, I think you should read it. And actually less calories, move more doesn't work and has been proven not to. He goes over all the studies, and it's eye opening to say the least. Also, Obesity Medicine is also anti calorie/anti eat less move more as well. So it is aligned with them as well. Have a look before you knock it.

Comment

Is it a diet book?

yes and no, it is a paradigm shift in how we think and what causes obesity in the US (and world - but a focus on what's been going on here).

Comment

I read this book last year and have nothing but great things to say about it.  The insights in the book resonate with me on both a personal and professional level.  It is not a diet book in the traditional sense.  Readers without a scientific/medical background will surely get something out of this book, but those of us with that background will definitely get more out of it.  You can think of it as a comprehensive meta-analysis of the numerous dieting studies that have been done over the decades.  Except that it reads much easier and is more entertaining.

If you don't want to commit to the book, you can search for the author, Jason Fung, on youtube.  He has a number of conference talks online.  See if what he's saying at least piques your curiosity.  Of course, he's a nephrologist and so am I, so perhaps I'm a bit biased.  

Comment

I’ve read his blog and listened to his podcast, but haven’t read the books. I think he’s on to something and pretty legit. Sure he sells books, but he’s also made it clear all the information in his books is on his blog for free.

Zaphod, calorie restriction works for a short time, but definitely not sustainable. A calorie does not equal a calorie does not equal a calorie.

Comment

Haven't read the book, but I'll check it out.  My wife and I do a lot of meal prepping based on calories and macros.  Gives us something to concentrate on when it comes to food.  Being kind of into weight lifting/bodybuilding type workouts, you can pretty much control your weight very predictably down to the pound based on this.  Cut, maintain, or mass you just adjust the numbers.  Things change very predictably over weeks and months.

I do personally see it like finances, like Zaphod said.  In vs out.  Works well.  It's very simple, but I wouldn't call it easy.  Most people aren't motivated enough to prep and stay with it, so it doesn't work for them though.  If it's starving yourself, and a chore to work out every day, you don't stay with it.  It's a lifestyle (and vanity) choice.  Control and discipline workout freaks do it all the time though.

Comment

Haven’t read the book, but I’ll check it out.  My wife and I do a lot of meal prepping based on calories and macros.  Gives us something to concentrate on when it comes to food.  Being kind of into weight lifting/bodybuilding type workouts, you can pretty much control your weight very predictably down to the pound based on this.  Cut, maintain, or mass you just adjust the numbers.  Things change very predictably over weeks and months.

I do personally see it like finances, like Zaphod said.  In vs out.  Works well.  It’s very simple, but I wouldn’t call it easy.  Most people aren’t motivated enough to prep and stay with it, so it doesn’t work for them though.  If it’s starving yourself, and a chore to work out every day, you don’t stay with it.  It’s a lifestyle (and vanity) choice.  Control and discipline workout freaks do it all the time though.

Def read it - it totally debunks the in vs. out theory that everyone (including doctors telling their patients how to lose wt). We are all told to eat less and move more and we will lose wt. And if you're not then it's your fault (the patient's fault for not losing wt).

Comment

Haven’t read the book, but I’ll check it out.  My wife and I do a lot of meal prepping based on calories and macros.  Gives us something to concentrate on when it comes to food.  Being kind of into weight lifting/bodybuilding type workouts, you can pretty much control your weight very predictably down to the pound based on this.  Cut, maintain, or mass you just adjust the numbers.  Things change very predictably over weeks and months.

I do personally see it like finances, like Zaphod said.  In vs out.  Works well.  It’s very simple, but I wouldn’t call it easy.  Most people aren’t motivated enough to prep and stay with it, so it doesn’t work for them though.  If it’s starving yourself, and a chore to work out every day, you don’t stay with it.  It’s a lifestyle (and vanity) choice.  Control and discipline workout freaks do it all the time though.

I think this approach becomes closer to correct as you get into things like body-building culture where food is basically reduced to carefully calculated fuel consumed at precise times. A friend of mine who used to do this in college told me he would literally go to parties with chicken breasts in his pockets wrapped in plastic bags.

For the vast majority of people the calorie-in/calorie-out model has been debunked. If nothing else those of us who work out regularly can tell you that your weight plateaus no matter how hard you are exercising. I hit an weight plateau I wasn't happy with a few years ago despite running 3 miles 5x/week + lifting on top of that. Pretty tough to argue that isn't a very active lifestyle.

Comment

I am a life long dieter or should i say watch what I eat person.  I grew up as a fat kid.  I have always been able to lose weight by counting calories or weight watcher points.  People seem to need to blame their hormones for weight gain, irritability, lack of libido etc. I personally believe in an input, output model. It is hard for most people to do.

Comment

I am a life long dieter or should i say watch what I eat person.  I grew up as a fat kid.  I have always been able to lose weight by counting calories or weight watcher points.  People seem to need to blame their hormones for weight gain, irritability, lack of libido etc. I personally believe in an input, output model. It is hard for most people to do.

Read it! It's not in/out...many studies showing it does not work .... insulin is main player if you want a hint. Really worth a read, I promise. Again, like many peeps, it's easy to blame the person for not controlling what they eat enough. It's not the whole picture.

Comment

Marcus Welby is of the willpower school of thought.  One minute video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJBg6EYrXGs

Comment

Working...
                              X