New mattress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New mattress

So in my move to my first attending job, I will likely be selling or giving away large furniture (it’s served it’s purpose for 6 years). Other than smart investing and financial independence, what physically helps you get a good rest? I’ve looked at some of the memory foam products, but I had a lower end one previously that I wasn’t fond of.

FYI. I’m single, so I don’t have to consider another person for one of those fancy split mattresses. Also I don’t care to spend more than 1000 for a queen size.

We have one of those online matress companies.  All memory foam King for like $1k.  Most of them give you 90 day trial periods also.

Comment

We bought a Cal King last year and it was a great purchase.

Size aside, we actually bought a used one. What happens is that if you got a mattress store they always have sleep guarantees esp now in the age of online retailers. So not that uncommonly they get mattresses returned and sell them used. We laid on a bunch and found the one we want then they searched area stores and had our #2 choice in a local warehouse that had been returned.

It's easy to say "that's so gross" but consider the following:

• we sleep on other people's mattresses all the time (guest room, hotel, family visits etc)

• while mattresses can get gross, they usually don't do so after 30 days

• they are cleaned and inspected when returned to store, soiled ones are not sold

• it was like 40% off, we got a premium model for the cost of a mid-range one.

• it's kind of hilarious to tell your friends you bought a used mattress

Comment

Hrm. We are sleeping on an IKEA mattress we bought in 2008. It does the trick! No back pain or whatnot...I forget how much it cost but I don't think we would have paid more than $500 for the frame and mattress together, TBH.

Comment

Bought one from Amazon - the memory foam ones.

Started with a queen during residency for myself. Bought a king (same brand) and queen went to the guest room. Then bought a house and purchased two twins for other guest rooms.

I think they are fantastic, firm and does the trick.

Total cost of all four is around 1100, TBH.

Comment

First off, you spend about a third of your life in bed, and getting a good nights sleep is just so amazing and cant be understated....do not be a cheapskate on this.

I had a 100$ mattress until 2015, it was awful but I was young. We got a tempurpedic fancy memory thing Cal King, it was on sale since it was a floor model, it might have been returned during the 6 month thing by someone else, idk, they said it was cleaned, but it was like 50% off and amazing. Also got a fancy base off amazon for cheap, and I love that too. Press 30m massage right to sleep every night. Sleep quality has improved immensely, one of the best purchases ever. Horrible side effect is its really hard to get a good nights sleep anywhere else.

If the kid or mom are coughing I can raise the head a bit. Great for sick days, put head/legs up and read/laptop work. Im like a fancy bed evangelist now, it just makes no sense to suffer, even if you didnt know you were before.

Comment

My review of Saatva, the online mattress store.  We have 3 of them now, all excellent.

I cannot imagine buying a regular priced mattress in a regular mattress store anymore.
              An alt-brown look at medicine, money, faith, & family
              www.RogueDadMD.com

Comment

My review of Saatva, the online mattress store. We have 3 of them now, all excellent. I cannot imagine buying a regular priced mattress in a regular mattress store anymore.

What a coincidence. I was about to come in and post the exact same recommendation.

After tons of research and excluding memory foam ( we slept on a high end Tempurpedic  in a friend's house and both my wife and i hated it) we settled on Saatva about a year ago. Went for two full size instead of one California king and fits the original King bed - my wife went for medium firm and I took a softer mattress. It is great and she does not have any more back pain. It is super thick and on top of a normal box springs you either have to have a small stool to climb onto it or do a mini high jump to get on the bed. 

I think we paid $1400 for both. One of my best purchases.

Comment

So not that uncommonly they get mattresses returned and sell them used. We laid on a bunch and found the one we want then they searched area stores and had our #2 choice in a local warehouse that had been returned.

That’s brilliant.

I’m going to try that this weeeknd.

Comment

Hrm. We are sleeping on an IKEA mattress we bought in 2008. It does the trick! No back pain or whatnot…I forget how much it cost but I don’t think we would have paid more than $500 for the frame and mattress together, TBH.

We bought an Ikea mattress last year - very pleased with it.  We did a reasonable amount of comparison shopping and found that the higher end Ikea mattresses were every bit as nice as other places but at a much lower price.   And they also have a return policy if you don't like it.  Definitely worth a look.

Comment

Has anyone tried Purple? It’s a unicorn company that is supposed to be good, but I don’t know. It will be a few years before my next purchase, but I guess it’s never to early to start researching.

https://purple.com/mattresses

Comment

We have a Purple king. Tried it because it is a local company. We love it. Had memory foam before this and it was good, but Purple is better. It sleeps cooler and the firmness is just right. No going back. Got it on a black Friday sale and it included their bamboo sheets (which are great too). First time we laid on it we thought it felt different and weren’t sure what to make of it. After the 1st night we were completely sold. It is firm yet feels soft because of the top layer.

Comment

We recently bough a couple of mattresses, both on-line.  I subscribe to Consumer Reports so did the research on them.  CR recommends spending at least 15 minutes on a mattress before you buy it.  Well personally I hate to spend 15 seconds lying on a mattress at the fricking mattress store, let alone 15 minutes, so at that point I decided to go with on-line stores.

Once that decision was made, the return policy became very important since we weren't testing them out personally before we bought.  Read the fine print and read the reviews.  I have several friends and patients that have Sleep Number beds and rave about them.  When I looked on-line it became clear that generally people either love Sleep Number beds or hate them, and one of the most common complaints was about the difficulty returning the beds.  We decided against Sleep Number largely for that reason.

We ended up buying a memory foam mattress from Tuft & Needle that we are happy with.  My wife has some ortho problems so we put a mattress topper on and it works out great.  For our guest room we got a highly rated conventional coil-spring mattress from an on-line store that had free delivery, a good return policy and that took away the old mattress for free.  FYI getting rid of the old mattress can be a bit of a headache so factor that in.  I will say that recently my daughter bought a new mattress and put the old mattress on Craigslist for free before she went to bed.  When she woke up 11 people wanted the mattress so that's an option.

Comment

Just bought a queen memory foam at Costco for $399. Has their usual return policy so I'm going to try it out, having never used a memory foam before. Pretty good ratings at both Costco and Consumer Reports. On sale for just another few days.

https://m.costco.com/Novaform-14"-Comfort-Grande-Queen-EVENcor-GelPlus-Memory-Foam-Mattress.product.100396872.html

It's $100 cheaper in the warehouse.

Comment

For those having tried memory foam or thinking about it, make sure to try a lot of them and find out what you like, and give yourself time. You can have extremely uncomfortable ones and perfect ones just like anything else. I wouldnt order online without giving your soft to firm spectrum preferences, it may be something you really dislike and each company is going to have some funky scale. I think when we were looking there was a very confusing two type system firm/soft, med/med that ran the whole gamut. Something about the top and the main body. The feel varies greatly. Some were like sleeping on a hardwood floor vs. a cloud. We liked the in between stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X