How to deal with working for morons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to deal with working for morons?

I have been working at my current job for about 2.5 years now and I realized today that I am working for a bunch of morons to put it bluntly. I'm talking it's a [inappropriate comment removed] between the chair and section heads who are just so dumb when it comes to social skills/good medicine it is unbelievable they actually got accepted into medical school in the first place. These people got appointed just because they have been with the group the longest, not for any academic merit or clinical acumen.

I have seriously considered leaving my job which I enjoy for every other reason but cannot stand the rules and policies that get made unilaterally without input from other physicians in the group that are always asinine. Even if we do voice our opinion it is quickly ignored or an excuse arises which is usually idiotic as well. They aren't doing these things for financial reasons, just pure stupidity which is even more aggravating.

Anyone have a way to cope? It's making me lose my enjoyment of practicing medicine working here. I just think it's not good medicine.

[Moderator note: if you shouldn't say it in WCI's house around his kids, then don't say it here, see forum policy #1 here ]

Plenty of jobs out there. Vote with your feet. It is usually very hard and time consuming dealing with these issues and more often than not the outcome is not successful.

Comment

Another vote for move.

Comment

Plenty of jobs out there. Vote with your feet. It is usually very hard and time consuming dealing with these issues and more often than not the outcome is not successful.

Another vote for move.

I know, I know. Problem is literally everything else about the job is what I want. So my internal debate is: "Do the cons outweigh all the pros?" I have this struggle daily where one day I'm for sure leaving, next day I can put up with it. Peaks and valleys really.

Also, if I leave, they won't care nor try to keep me. Others have left recently for various reasons and they didn't even blink. Revolving door.

Comment

Put yourself up for admin if you think you can do a better job.

Comment

My colleagues feel the same way I do however they stay because they are locked in by spouse's job, kid's schools, family, etc. so they put up with it because they basically have to.

They have accepted things will not change and so basically don't fight it anymore. I feel like my options are give in and accept the inevitable or continue to "fight for what's right" and just become more and more emotionally exhausted. If I give up like everyone else I feel like they won

Comment

The people at the top are a big [inappropriate comment removed] and would never let that happen. They are a clique, scratch my back I'll scratch yours kinda deal. Has been going on for many years even before I ever got there.

[Moderator note: if you shouldn't say it in WCI's house around his kids, then don't say it here, see forum policy #1 here ]

Comment

Click to expand…

The people at the top are a big [inappropriate comment removed] and would never let that happen. They are a clique, scratch my back I’ll scratch yours kinda deal. Has been going on for many years even before I ever got there.

This sounds concerning.

Comment

A different job really seems the only real solution . Of course, as the famous saying goes, “Better the moron that you know than the moron you don’t.” ????

Comment

A different job really seems the only real solution . Of course, as the famous saying goes, “Better the moron that you know than the moron you don’t.” ????

Totally. There are some leaders that are even bigger morons, and there is a good chance you will get to work for them.

Comment

Ah. Learned helplessness.
                      Resistance is futile.
                      If you stay you better up your game. Need to not care.

If you can’t change your attitude, then the sooner you leave the better.

You seem like you haven’t absorbed the wisdom of the serenity prayer.
                      Good luck!

Comment

I'll just say that while yes, you could leave and work for worse people, you could also leave and work for better people. I personally have had a great experience with leadership as an attending. And had a miserable experience as a resident. At the same institution. I was extremely unhappy in residency so I know how terrible it can make your life. So with that experience in mind, I'd start looking now for a better situation. Sooner or later you'll find one. Sorry you are going through this.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Will definitely think things over.

Comment

Never heard this before but seems very wise. Very good point.

Comment

My question is, how do these people end up in leadership positions whereas many good, reasonable people never climb the ladder? Just don't know how to play the game?

I'd like to one day climb the ranks because I'd like to think I'd do a good job, but maybe I'm just full of myself?

Comment

Working...
                              X