Amazon, Berkshire, Chase and Health Care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazon, Berkshire, Chase and Health Care

These three are getting together to see if there is a better way for their employees to find health care "at a reasonable cost."  Any thoughts on how they would achieve this or general thoughts?  Prices for health care companies are down significantly pre-market.

there are many articles (don't know if true or not) about how amazon is a brutal employer.

they have super high expectations for sick days and efficiency at work.

it may be more a question for them of how to squeeze more blood from the turnip than a genuine interest in employee well being.

ymmv

Comment

It's that and cost efficiencies. Bezos knows his history... the origin of company provided health insurance comes from Henry Ford.. in typical fashion and continuing in his footsteps, bezos is trying to improve efficiencies further and taking it to the next level.

Comment

It’s that and cost efficiencies. Bezos knows his history… the origin of company provided health insurance comes from Henry Ford.. in typical fashion and continuing in his footsteps, bezos is trying to improve efficiencies further and taking it to the next level.

well something needs to be done.  they are right that increasing amounts of the economy are diverted to health care.  i'm not sure if that is good or bad, but i agree with them and think we are beyond the optimal point.   the health care monolith has beaten down billionaires with ideas before.  hopefully they can inspire change in a positive direction.

many years ago there was a book the long tail.  it talked about how amazon's successes were driven by long tail stuff, not the more common stuff.  i'm not sure if health care can benefit from long tail stuff, or it is doomed to be mired in high volume, common stuff due to information asymmetry, emergencies, issues where you have to physically be present to perform therapies, etc.

interesting times- the other thread is on Anthem's "new" ER policy.

Comment

Think a lot of these folk choose HDHSP and with the scale and breadth of these companies, suspect they will heavily leverage telemed to their employees and this would work nicely for next gen and cost effective care for both routine and sameday acute stuff.

Comment

It’s that and cost efficiencies. Bezos knows his history… the origin of company provided health insurance comes from Henry Ford.. in typical fashion and continuing in his footsteps, bezos is trying to improve efficiencies further and taking it to the next level.
            Click to expand…

well something needs to be done.  they are right that increasing amounts of the economy are diverted to health care.  i’m not sure if that is good or bad, but i agree with them and think we are beyond the optimal point.   the health care monolith has beaten down billionaires with ideas before.  hopefully they can inspire change in a positive direction.

many years ago there was a book the long tail.  it talked about how amazon’s successes were driven by long tail stuff, not the more common stuff.  i’m not sure if health care can benefit from long tail stuff, or it is doomed to be mired in high volume, common stuff due to information asymmetry, emergencies, issues where you have to physically be present to perform therapies, etc.

interesting times- the other thread is on Anthem’s “new” ER policy.

Its definitely bad if it affects the well being of other things, like paying rent and saving for retirement. Its not that america cant afford it, its how its paid for and the inability to afford everything (DOD, etc...) all at once. Have to choose what we want.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing what free market thinkers come up with. Better than central planning when proper rules are applied.

Comment

Working...
              X