Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zaphod
    replied

I have a dash cam for my car. I have the KDlink X1. It has been ok. Occasionally it will run without actually recording. If I reformat the sd card between times I take it out of the unit it seems to have no issue. It runs off the cigarette lighter when the car is on. I have been looking for a different one for my wife but haven’t settle on what to get.

I think the investment of a few hundred dollars on a dash cam is well worth the payoff if you avoid increased insurance from a wreck that isn’t your fault or if you avoid a scam. You can easily get a cheaper unit.

Side notes:

1) I had a hard time keeping my suction cup on my windshield in the Texas heat. I found that high temp silicone grease in a very thin layer will keep the suction cup on for extended periods (over a year so far). You can find this stuff in the plumbing section at Lowe’s.

2) I turned off the audio on my dash cam because I don’t want to record HIPPA protected conversations.

I'd be more worried about it catching my singing.

Leave a comment:

• Dicast
    replied
    I have a dash cam for my car. I have the KDlink X1. It has been ok. Occasionally it will run without actually recording. If I reformat the sd card between times I take it out of the unit it seems to have no issue. It runs off the cigarette lighter when the car is on. I have been looking for a different one for my wife but haven't settle on what to get.

I think the investment of a few hundred dollars on a dash cam is well worth the payoff if you avoid increased insurance from a wreck that isn't your fault or if you avoid a scam. You can easily get a cheaper unit.

Side notes:

1) I had a hard time keeping my suction cup on my windshield in the Texas heat. I found that high temp silicone grease in a very thin layer will keep the suction cup on for extended periods (over a year so far). You can find this stuff in the plumbing section at Lowe's.

2) I turned off the audio on my dash cam because I don't want to record HIPPA protected conversations.

Leave a comment:

• Zaphod
    replied

I get that, but isn’t it more plausible that the junkie will aim for things providing quick cash? A dash cam may very well provide that. Insurance payouts could take quite a while.

Makes sense, of course you're thinking logically, may not be applicable.

Leave a comment:

• ENT Doc
    replied
    I get that, but isn't it more plausible that the junkie will aim for things providing quick cash? A dash cam may very well provide that. Insurance payouts could take quite a while.

Leave a comment:

• Zaphod
    replied

Perhaps I don’t understand this dash cam thing and how recording takes place.  But even so, the concern from the OP is about opiate-hooked hoodlums running around looking to make a buck.  Doesn’t the dash cam added to a car provide more impetus to break into the car and steal said dash cam?

Usually they step out and "get hit" by the car for insurance fraud. The dash cam helps because it shows you were driving legally and illustrates their obvious fraudulent intent.

Leave a comment:

• Radgeek
    replied
    It will drain some battery power however it shuts down completely when it detects low voltage so you wont be left with a dead battery.

Alternatively you can hook a 10000-20000mAh portable battery to it without using the car battery.

Leave a comment:

• ENT Doc
    replied
    Perhaps I don't understand this dash cam thing and how recording takes place.  But even so, the concern from the OP is about opiate-hooked hoodlums running around looking to make a buck.  Doesn't the dash cam added to a car provide more impetus to break into the car and steal said dash cam?

Leave a comment:

• MochaDoc
    replied

I have myself wasted precious hours of my life watching russian driver youtube dashcam vids.

Those are the best.

Leave a comment:

• I Find This Humerus
    replied

The Vantrue N2 is one of the best.  Amazon just had a lightning sale for $50 off the listed price but I see that has expired.  ????

https://www.amazon.com/N2-Pro-1920x1080P-Dashboard-Detection/dp/B0742J69SQ/ref=sr_1_12?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1517006248&sr=1-12&keywords=dash+cam+front+and+rear

Does it drain your car battery when parked?

Leave a comment:

• childay
    replied

I’ve literally never thought about this. But I drive a 10 year old Corolla. I doubt I’m at risk for this type of thing. But if you’re like the idiot I saw last week driving a BMW with the license plate “dentist” you should probably invest in one ????
    Click to expand…

You may like it just to catch craziness going on around you. I have myself wasted precious hours of my life watching russian driver youtube dashcam vids.

Define "wasted"...

Leave a comment:

• wideopenspaces
    replied

I’ve literally never thought about this. But I drive a 10 year old Corolla. I doubt I’m at risk for this type of thing. But if you’re like the idiot I saw last week driving a BMW with the license plate “dentist” you should probably invest in one ????
    Click to expand…

You may like it just to catch craziness going on around you. I have myself wasted precious hours of my life watching russian driver youtube dashcam vids.

Haha, maybe if I lived in CA. Drivers are bad here but watching people run red lights isn't very interesting. One time I did see someone brushing their teeth while driving . . .

Leave a comment:

• ACN
    replied
    Blackvue quality is why I bought mine after doing a lot of research. It's not perfect but one of the best for resolution and quality during day and night driving. The 750s improves the rear camera to 1080 from 720.

My cameras are hardwired to the car with all the wires hidden. The rear camera on the suv goes through the same factory tube as the rest of the wiring. I paid $150 for someone to install it as I didn't want to spend 2 hours fishing it through.

Also, when it's hardwired it is able to record events while in parking mode if someone hits your car in the parking lot or decides to key your car..becaue people are assholes. I also installed the battery switch so if it detects low battery, it will shut off the camera so you can start your car.

In electric vehicles, like tesla, you can run it nonstop due to the battery obviously. Going forward, I would potentially consider a dedicated battery for the camera. I've noticed that after 6-8 hours it will stop recording the motion activated parking mode.. Guessing due to low voltage from the car battery.

Leave a comment:

• Zaphod
    replied

Leave a comment:

• wideopenspaces
    replied
    I've literally never thought about this. But I drive a 10 year old Corolla. I doubt I'm at risk for this type of thing. But if you're like the idiot I saw last week driving a BMW with the license plate "dentist" you should probably invest in one ;-)

Leave a comment:

• Radgeek
    replied
    The Vantrue N2 is one of the best.  Amazon just had a lightning sale for $50 off the listed price but I see that has expired.  :?

https://www.amazon.com/N2-Pro-1920x1080P-Dashboard-Detection/dp/B0742J69SQ/ref=sr_1_12?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1517006248&sr=1-12&keywords=dash+cam+front+and+rear

Leave a comment:

Working...
X