Dash Cam for car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dash Cam for car?

Hey everyone... just wanted to solicit some thoughts/advice about whether to get a dash cam for my car.  I am a decent driver, only been in one fender-bender in 20+ years, but recent ride with an ultra-paranoid Uber driver had me thinking.  I live in a generally low-key, low crime area, but opioids are pretty big here, and there's been some stories of people stepping out in front of nicer cars to get a payout.  At the same time, I generally trust people, don't want to be putting myself on the spot and I have some concerns about recording everything/privacy issues.  Anyway, just wanted to take a brief informal poll to see if anyone else has had similar thoughts, already has a dash cam or is thinking about getting one.  Is dash cam video discoverable in court, or private property as long as you don't hand over the whole tape to the police?

I have one. Not sure if it could be used in court if needed. I recommend getting one that has a small profile and which you can set and forget. Most turns on with ignition, and rewrites old footages when the card is full. Should be a less than $100 investment. You can also use the footages if you are an aspiring youtuber lol.

Comment

High income friend of mine has one.

It's not crazy, low cost investment to protect against high dollar personal loss.

I don't see it as much different than an alarm system for the house.

My question with these is that if you are at fault I would imagine that failure to disclose footage or deleting footage would be viewed as obstruction of justice. Seems like it could cut both ways. But for a cautious driver it would probably be a net positive.

Parks and Rec anyone?

Tom: "Jean Ralphio made his money the old fashion way."

Jean Ralphio (sings): "I got hit by a Lexxxxusssss"

Comment

I think it is a good idea. There are many cheap dashcams on the market but you get what you pay for. Biggest factors are resolution, gps tracking, FOV (larger better) and nighttime performance. Some also have parking mode so that they automatically record by detecting movement or noise when the car is parked (e.g. someone backs into you in parking lot).

Comment

Most Tesla people swear by this:

https://www.blackvue.com/dr750s-2ch/

Comment

Blackvue 650s or the new 750s as RJ mentioned above. I have the 650s in my wife's new car. I'll get one as well once I get a new car.

Comment

Did you hardwire it to your car or do you plug it in every time?

Comment

I have been meaning to get one, as wife has been asking for a year. There are so many options and many seem frankly to cheap. Since we're often in LA there are just so many opportunities to either catch some wild driving or protect yourself.

Comment

I have it. Friend of mine personal injury attorney tells me they are admissible in court. Another friend who has one said is a big deterrent for other drivers acting like a-holes once they see it mounted on your windshield.

Comment

That is avery nice dashcam but also maybe more than you really need. Should be able to find a good one for $100-150 range.

Comment

I agree with the above. I recommend against the blackvue. I knew that name well when I first became interested in dashcam and did a lot of research. In fact I purchased a few high end imported Korean brand dashcam back then, when I was a resident with little money (i was otherwise quite frugal). Spent a lot of money but the I feel the quality control for directly imported stuff is poor, and that the footage never was as good as advertised. After few experiments n few hundred dollars later, got a china made tiny dashcam for less than 100. And its been sitting on the windshield for the past 5 years.

im not saying the blackvue is not good. But do you really need it? I doubt it.

its not hardwired to the car. Cuz that just cause issues if you dunno what ur doing. Mine is plugged into a center console power jack via an extension cord hidden under the carpet n up the pillar. It turns on when the ignition is on.

Comment

Yeah that looks really spendy. Amazon has a zillion, and its fairly quick to filter out with numbers sold, rank, specs. Many for very reasonable prices.

Comment

The Vantrue N2 is one of the best.  Amazon just had a lightning sale for $50 off the listed price but I see that has expired.  :?

https://www.amazon.com/N2-Pro-1920x1080P-Dashboard-Detection/dp/B0742J69SQ/ref=sr_1_12?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1517006248&sr=1-12&keywords=dash+cam+front+and+rear

Comment

I've literally never thought about this. But I drive a 10 year old Corolla. I doubt I'm at risk for this type of thing. But if you're like the idiot I saw last week driving a BMW with the license plate "dentist" you should probably invest in one ;-)

Comment

I’ve literally never thought about this. But I drive a 10 year old Corolla. I doubt I’m at risk for this type of thing. But if you’re like the idiot I saw last week driving a BMW with the license plate “dentist” you should probably invest in one ????

You may like it just to catch craziness going on around you. I have myself wasted precious hours of my life watching russian driver youtube dashcam vids.

Comment

Working...
                              X