No announcement yet.

Announcing my retirement. Am I crazy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats! Please keep us posted on what it's like to pull the trigger and move to the next step.

Comment

Congrats Hatton1. Sounds like a good decision. It will make travel easy if that takes your fancy.

Comment

Thanks for all the well wishes.  I plan to keep posting here.  I might start a blog about the details.  Off to meditate and Yoga.  I already do not work on Fridays.

Comment

I just turned 61 and love work too much to retire but I can't wait to hear what it "feels" like at this age. Hope that means you'll be around here more. And I think a blog from one of our own generation would be fabulous.

PS - HUGE CONGRATULATIONS! Virtual celebration online and party in Park City! Drinks all around, including whatever flavor of milk WCI chooses!
          Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

“If you have won the game, it is a good idea to stop playing!”

Comment

Congratulations!

It my 1 year old goes straight through undergrad and med school I can retire at 61 also. we will see if he follows the plan

I’ll be in Park City — I’ll have a Coke Zero with you in your honor
              An alt-brown look at medicine, money, faith, & family
              www.RogueDadMD.com

Comment

Rogue Dad I prefer diet coke or an IPA.

Comment

Interesting to hear you will retire mid-year rather than year-end. Maybe if you own your own practice, it make no difference. But I have occasionally wondered about the various pros and cons of mid-year vs. end of year retirement for an employed doc from the stand point of retirement account contributions, income taxes, cobra health insurance, etc. Are there any distinct advantages to one time or the other? Perhaps this would make for an interesting WCI Blog post.

Comment

I think PoF did the math with a year sabbatical. I suspect similar conclusions. Depending on your income, big difference in effective tax rate.

Comment

Rogue Dad I prefer diet coke or an IPA.

I will have two Polygamy Porters in your honor. “Why have just one?”

http://brewinreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/polygamy-porter.jpg

Comment

Congrats hatton1 !

Comment

"I've tried Polygamy"

"Why have just one?"

"Bring some home to the wives"

It's a pretty good beer.

Comment

I gotta have one on the trip.  Priceless.

I will have two Polygamy Porters in your honor. “Why have just one?”

Interesting to hear you will retire mid-year rather than year-end. Maybe if you own your own practice, it make no difference. B

Health insurance is one concern.  I own my practice and pay premiums quarterly.  So I will be in business long enough to pay quarter 3.  I am not worried about retirement accounts.

Comment

Interesting to hear you will retire mid-year rather than year-end. Maybe if you own your own practice, it make no difference. But I have occasionally wondered about the various pros and cons of mid-year vs. end of year retirement for an employed doc from the stand point of retirement account contributions, income taxes, cobra health insurance, etc. Are there any distinct advantages to one time or the other? Perhaps this would make for an interesting WCI Blog post.

employed physician-no one quits here midway without good reason.

have to be working and at work 12/31 to receive employer 403 match.  have to be working on 12/31 to receive value based incentives, which are 10% of your pay.  have to be working 12/31 to get full settle up (difference between draw and what you actually earned during course of year).  so walking away mid year very expensive.

ymmv

Comment

Since I am not an "employed" physician it makes no difference really.  I decided on my birthday because it is mid-year.  It gives me a few months to notify patients etc.  Financially it will make no difference.  Frequently OB/GYNs retire prior to the next malpractice payment (if you are paying the premium).

Comment

Working...
                                X