No announcement yet.

Announcing my retirement. Am I crazy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My birthday is not for 6 months so that gives me a few months to work out the loose ends.  I rationally know I have enough money but it is still scary.  I will make some lists this weekend.  This is going to make me clean out my desk. Haha.  I decided to do this in about 10 minutes today.  I am starting to second guess myself.  I think that is normal.  I second guessed my decision to quit Ob also.

Comment

I can’t remember the numbers but I feel like you have 8 million and live on 80k a year. I think you can retire whenever you want. Congrats!

Comment

Congratulations!!!  Excited to hear about your post-retirement adventures!

Comment

Congrats! sounds like a celebration is in order in Park City!

Comment

Congrats!  Keep us posted on how things go!

Comment

Congratulations Hatton1!!! I wish you many joyful and healthy years ahead.

When I look at the malpractice statement, I have a different reaction. I wonder is it worth it to keep practicing medicine with the theoretical exposure that entails, when the net worth is over an order of magnitude more than the maximum malpractice coverage provided.

Comment

Hatton, how will you spend your time after you stop?
                My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFF...MwBiAAKd5N8qPg

Comment

Whitebeard doc the malpractice fear factored in to my decision to stop Ob.  I went through a trial and all the ptsd that involves and decided it was not worth the risk any more.  Gyn is less risky but it is not zero.  I personally do not know anyone that had to pay a judgement over their malpractice limit.

Comment

Congrats, Hatton!  Sounds like the retirement is well-planned and well-deserved!  Enjoy it!
                    I should have been a pair of ragged claws. Scuttling across the floors of silent seas.

Comment

Hatton, how will you spend your time after you stop?

I will not be participating in MOC this year.  I am going to Park City.  I will increase yoga to 3 x per week.  I hope to learn to meditate.  Since I just decided to do this today I have not made a lot of decisions.  It will be complicated to shut down my practice since I own it and all the equipment etc.

Comment

Awesome! Good for you.

I totally understand the med mal risk, maybe low, but it isnt zero and malpractice just sucks no matter the veracity. When you're in a highly sued field and have a good sum of money, its like being short a malpractice call. No thanks.

Comment

I thought you were semi-crazy for continuing to work just for the health insurance, so no, I don't think you're crazy at all to retire in 6 months.

Congratulations on coming to a decision, and I look forward to hearing more over a cold one in Park City.

Cheers!
                          -PoF

Comment

I like my work quite a bit. But even though I’m possibly 4-5 years away from retirement, I already have my future schedule planned!
                            My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFF...MwBiAAKd5N8qPg

Comment

on your own terms -- that's the way.  6months to ease on down the road.   Congrats!   You're plenty set for it already with that retirement fund.  Now we'll have someone actively in retirement on the board (and don't you forget to come back after you take a nice walk about)!

Comment

Congrats! And best wishes for a happy retirement. I’m going to be 58 this year. I’m right behind you! I’m hoping to retire at 62.

Comment

Working...
                                X