Announcing my retirement. Am I crazy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Announcing my retirement. Am I crazy?

I told my office staff today I was retiring on my next birthday (age 61).  I have been thinking about this for some time.  I got the bill today for my next malpractice premium installment and then it just hit me.  I should just retire.  This is probably an indicator that the market has peaked so beware.  The last time I felt flush with cash and was talking about an early retirement was 3/2000 and you know what happened.

You did not cause the market to drop in 2000, my brother-in-law did. In late 99, he asked me about some stocks that he just started to buy- CSCO, MSFT, INTC, WCOM, etc.

It sounds like you are in a good place to let it go. Perhaps you can find a way to mentor young OB/GYNs starting up in private practice. Or not. Start a blog (learn Wordpress first). Get another dog...or two. And you will have more time to post on the forum. It's getting busier here, per the WCI, and I still have to work three days per week. Good luck with it.

Comment

Yes I will have time to research posts instead of just popping off whatever comes into my head.  I do in fact have a new dog and we are starting the second round of obedience and she might possibly become a therapy dog.

Comment

Congratulations on a great run. On to the next stage.

Comment

61 doesn't seem crazy to me.  You outlasted me! There are lots of things to do.  I am enjoying the easy life and just to keep my hand in am doing some teaching.  Colleagues asked if I missed the clinical when I left and I always say that I missed some of the patients but none of the administrators or the call or the paperwork or....  I felt that I did my part and that there were lots of 'kids' to carry things on.  Sounds like you have thought it through and that this is the time.  Crazy like a fox!! Congratulations.

Comment

Nice, congrats! You can always go back to work if the market crashes.

Comment

Congrats! Well deserved!

Comment

Kudos on working hard for as long as you have.  It may be safer to cut back gradually, but if you've been thinking about this for years and years you probably know when the time is right.

I would like to "semi-retire" in a few years and get out of employment, but I have similar concerns - how much will I have to work to justify paying for associated costs that are pretty much fixed - like malpractice, MOC, licensing, DEA, BLS training, etc?

Comment

Congrats, hatton1! You deserve it! Excited to hear what's next in store for you.

Comment

Definitely not crazy. You are well prepared financially for retirement and I'm excited for you! Any thoughts on what you'll retire to?

Comment

Congratulations!!!  A little crazy is good for the soul.  Also...more free time for lunches.  Can't wait.

Comment

Crazy for waiting so long.

You won't regret retiring.  You'll only regret no doing it sooner.

Comment

Congratulations, and best wishes for your retirement!

I nominate you to be a speaker at the second WCI conference (or a facilitator at a discussion group over a beer at the conference hotel bar) to inform all of us who are following in your footsteps about what we should expect in early retirement.

Comment

Congratulations hatton! I hope you will enjoy this next phase of life. I hope it will not be too long before I too join the ranks of the formerly working!
                            My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFF...MwBiAAKd5N8qPg

Comment

Congratulations hatton 1.

Comment

Working...
                              X