What do you read? How do you read?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you read? How do you read?

Just wondering if all you folks read is financial literature...I'm currently reading 13 Hours on Audible. Just finished The Red Circle: My Life in the Navy Sniper Corps. Both excellent and true, of course. Anybody else care to share what interests you?
    Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Is audible really efficient method of info consumption ? Would like to try it.

Comment

Reading or even audible isnt very efficient. Its unfortunate that its such a slow way to assimilate information.

Comment

What is then ? Join the Borg ?

Comment

Is audible really efficient method of info consumption ? Would like to try it.

Audible is addictive (really). When I am driving, cooking, doing mundane work around the house and, especially, at the gym, it's a great way to read and learn. I never watch TV any more and read 2 - 3 books a month without vegging out while doing so. Can't recommend highly enough and I'm puzzled as to why @Zaphod says it is inefficient - you have the option to speed up the reader if you want to listen faster lol. If I hear of a book I want to read, I simply add it to my wish list in Audible. It takes 1 minute to buy and download a book for instant consumption and the iPhone app is really good. Of course, people are now used to seeing me with my Bluetooth headphones on at Walmart or wherever, but my hair hides them :-) Try it - first book is free, I believe.
          Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Oddly enough the only stuff that I read is insurance, financial planning or business based books.

If I'm not doing that, I catch-up on a few TV shows on my iPad while running on the treadmill.

Not really exciting but it works for me.

Comment

I agree with your assessment of Audible Johanna.  I used to always buy books and only get through 2/3s of the book because the only time I had to read was before going to bed.  Also, most books get repetitive and boring 200-300 pages in and not worth my precious time to read through.  I now am getting through 2-3 book per month and enjoying almost everything.  I listen through them at 1.5-2x speed without much problem with comprehension.  This allows me to push through mid-book lull and keep going. This also means I can digest a 700 page book in a 7-10 hours while accomplishing other tasks like housework, house maintenance, cooking, or leisurely bike rides. I don't drive but I could see this being a good time to listen as well. I also walk into stores with my ear phones in.  Maybe my addiction to Audible is preventing me from enjoying the simple things in life but at Walmart or Safeway I don't think I'm missing much.

If I really like the book I will listen through a second time so I can focus on the concepts I find most interesting and useful.

I only listen to non-fiction. I always find non-fiction much more entertaining and interesting than fiction.

Not all audiobooks are created equally and I have found 1 or 2 that are impossible to get through so maybe is Zaphod got a lemon and it is clouding his judgement of Audible in general.

Another audio resource that I think many people might enjoy if you like history (or a good story) at all is Hardcore History by Dan Carlin.  Do yourself a favor and listen to "Show 48 - Prophets of Doom" and I promise you will be addicted. I think is is better at 1.5-2x speed but you can listen at regular speed too.  I am now anxiously awaiting every episode! They only come out ever 3-4 months. It is free too!

Comment

A couple more points I forgot to mention about Audible are that 1) you can return any book to Audible, no questions asked, within a year of purchasing and 2) you can now share any book in your library with someone else, no charge. Just click on the share button and they'll get a link to download the book. I can't tell you how many books I've returned in the 3 years I've been a member (50+) but it is a very compelling option to motivate me to try out books that sound good from the reviews.

EDIT: @bcbiker: i'm trying to understand what Hardcore History is. Sci-if? Actual historical events? For some reason, I'm not able to find a description, just a list of the podcasts. TIA!

Comment

I use them, and read a lot, just saying its not efficient...or I wish I had more time to just read. I guess the only non business/finance books I read are training stuff for cycling, swimming, etc...and sometimes hybrids like dan ariely, richard thaler and behavioral economists.

I would totally borg up.

Comment

So looks like first book is free then it's a monthly subscription fee for 1 book a month? What if you wanna read 2-3 books a month ? Will give it a try

Any recs for non fiction stuff / what y'all are reading

Comment

Currently reading Misbehaving by Richard Thaler and Pragmatic Capitalism by Cullen Roche. Good books, second one is an excellent primer on the modern monetary system as well. Blog by the same name is excellent.

Comment

Thanks Zaphod will try that

Comment

@jfoxcpacfp  Hardcore History is a podcast about real historical events. Dan Carlin has a way of making all topics spectacular. Here is link to my favorite episode ( http://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-48-prophets-of-doom/ )

I recently listened to "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind" by Harari ( http://www.amazon.com/Sapiens-A-Brief-History-Humankind/dp/0062316095 ).

I really liked this book. It is about as far away from medicine as possible so it is good for relaxation and entertainment. There are also some useful perspectives I have found applicable to various parts of my life.

Currently reading "48 Laws of Power" by Greene ( http://www.amazon.com/48-Laws-of-Power/dp/B00X0TKUS0/ref=tmm_aud_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1456102547&sr=1-1 ) I have basically devoured this in the last 5 days... It is a little tongue and cheek... I think... but will have really good utility in all aspects of life.

I'm open to all other suggestions.

The nice thing about Audible is that it is so efficient that you don't need to be as picky about what you pick as a standard book that you might dedicate a month or two towards.

If you want 2nd book per month either open another audible account for spouse/child and pay $15/month or you can pay per book. Many titles are under $15 so you can buy those without wasting credits.

Before I buy Audible books, I make sure they are sufficiently long 12 hours or greater and that you cannot get them for free or cheaper elsewhere. An example is "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Repair" has a free podcast that is the entire book with a good narrater.  When I finish residency/fellowship I will be less concerned with price because IMO this is money extremely well spent!

Comment

@jfoxcpacfp  Hardcore History is a podcast about real historical events. Dan Carlin has a way of making all topics spectacular. Here is link to my favorite episode ( http://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-48-prophets-of-doom/ )

I recently listened to "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind" by Harari ( http://www.amazon.com/Sapiens-A-Brief-History-Humankind/dp/0062316095 ).

I really liked this book. It is about as far away from medicine as possible so it is good for relaxation and entertainment. There are also some useful perspectives I have found applicable to various parts of my life.

Currently reading "48 Laws of Power" by Greene ( http://www.amazon.com/48-Laws-of-Power/dp/B00X0TKUS0/ref=tmm_aud_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1456102547&sr=1-1 ) I have basically devoured this in the last 5 days... It is a little tongue and cheek... I think... but will have really good utility in all aspects of life.

I'm open to all other suggestions.

The nice thing about Audible is that it is so efficient that you don't need to be as picky about what you pick as a standard book that you might dedicate a month or two towards.

If you want 2nd book per month either open another audible account for spouse/child and pay $15/month or you can pay per book. Many titles are under $15 so you can buy those without wasting credits.

Before I buy Audible books, I make sure they are sufficiently long 12 hours or greater and that you cannot get them for free or cheaper elsewhere. An example is "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Repair" has a free podcast that is the entire book with a good narrater.  When I finish residency/fellowship I will be less concerned with price because IMO this is money extremely well spent!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X