Machu Picchu Vets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machu Picchu Vets?

I have had a visit to Machu Picchu on the bucket list for too long.  The hope is to get down there in 2019.  Anyone here visit it?  If so, tips?

Thanks!

Went long time ago in 2010. I heard things have changed and they are limiting the number of people both in Machu Pichu, and climbing the mountain behind it that is seen in photos.

Machu Pichu is aroung 9000 feet above sea level but the place you start from, Cusco, is even higher. So if you have altitude sickness you are likely to get it there. Take precautions, don't over-exert on day 1, and take acetazolamide if you are prone to it.

I would recommend coming one day ahead and staying at the base and then going early the next morning to Machu Pichu. You can get to see it before the crowds fill in. It is magical with clouds, mist and rain and river flowing deep below and all the ruins in good condition.

We took a turn in one area and saw a wild llama just a couple of feet away. I wonder who was more surprised by the encounter.

Comment

Take a good camera for the scenery is stunning.

You can combine it with a trip to the Amazon jungle or even Galapagos in Ecuador, another magical place.

Comment

I went a long time ago (1991), and I combined it with an outdoorsy trip to the Peruvian Amazon. I traveled with the company, International Expeditions, which I believe is still operating. Highly recommended!

Comment

Don't bring the coca leaf tea back to the States if you have a DEA license!

Comment

Was there a few years ago - spouse did a month long med school rotation in Cusco. we did the 3 day trek via the Inca trail which was fun/unique way to do it. Definitely plan on down time to acclimate to the altitude before doing any of the serious stuff. if you are adventurous, do the trek. if you enjoy luxury, definitely don't do the trek. Machu Picchu is great and worth a trip although the site itself didn't really live up to the hype - i suppose little can when it's listed on every 'must see' list there is.

Comment

I went a long time ago (1991), and I combined it with an outdoorsy trip to the Peruvian Amazon. I traveled with the company, International Expeditions, which I believe is still operating. Highly recommended!

We did that too, flying into Puerto Maldonaldo and staying for 3 days in Sandoval Lodge in the jungle.It had electricity via generators and lights went out at 10PM. Huge grasshoppers, Cayman in the lake, Tarantulas on trees and howler monkeys  less than 50 yards away in the trees. Luckily no close encounter with jaguars.

Comment

Click to expand…

We did that too, flying into Puerto Maldonaldo and staying for 3 days in Sandoval Lodge in the jungle.It had electricity via generators and lights went out at 10PM. Huge grasshoppers, Cayman in the lake, Tarantulas on trees and howler monkeys  less than 50 yards away in the trees. Luckily no close encounter with jaguars.

Ah, my experience was a bit more outdoorsy than that! Dormitory style cabins with an open wall, sleeping in cots under mosquito netting, and no electricity. Then, for the second half of the trip, we got primitive, all sleeping communally on a wooden platform, on cots with mosquito netting.

My favorite story from the trip, which I still often tell, is that one day we got up and got into our boats for some bird watching. After a while, we pulled into a tributary with extremely dark water, and they told us that it was time to go swimming. We swam for a little while, and came back to the boat, and they handed us fishing rods. We dropped our lines in the water and were pulling out piranhas hand over fist...from the water we were swimming in just a few minutes earlier.

We dined on freshly caught piranha that night.

Comment

Maccu Piccu is great. I took a train to Aguas Calientes, stayed there over night, and hiked up to Maccu Piccu and up Huaynapiccu (the mountain overlooking it). Passes for the mountain were limited to the first few hundred people going up, so make sure you look that up and plan to get there early if you wish to climb it.

Watch out for altitude sickness in Cuzco if you are flying in. Drink lots of water and take it easy the first few days.

You may want to consider bringing along some diamox, or you can stop in Arequipa for a few days to acclimatize first.

Comment

Machu Picchu is awesome. I would definitely do your best to try to climb the extra hike up Huayna Picchu (if allowed when you go). The hike is fairly challenging but is very doable if you are relatively young (ie, no knee arthritis). Photos I have from Huayna Picchu ar some of my favorite photos from my med school days.

If you have the time I would recommend checking out the Pisac ruins along the Urubamba river.  I really liked the experience. It is definitely a less popular, but very cool place to visit.

Check it out: https://theonlyperuguide.com/2014/12/hiking-pisac-ruins/

have fun!

Comment

I was trying to figure out when the Battle of Machu Picchu was after reading the post title.

Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

I was trying to figure out when the Battle of Machu Picchu was after reading the post title.

I was trying to figure out which species were treated at the Machu Pichu Animal Hospital. (Llamas, no doubt!)

Comment

Maybe confusing it with the Battle of Picacho Pass in the Civil War?

Comment

Click to expand…

Maybe confusing it with the Battle of Picacho Pass in the Civil War?

I've spent a lot of time at Picacho Pass. Fun little peak to climb there.
                            Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

As I was writing the thread title I wondered which poster would comment.  I'm disappointed it took as long as it did, but at least it finally happened.

Comment

Working...
                              X