Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This nurse commutes 2,600 miles to work in Oakland. Is he nuts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This nurse commutes 2,600 miles to work in Oakland. Is he nuts?

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/San-Francisco-crazy-commute-nurse-Pennsylvania-12425117.php

Talk about geo-arbitrage.

Comment

"And, [Fowkes] adds, he also has a new $160,000 swimming pool."

Interesting way to spend some of his earnings. Must be one ************************ of a pool.

Comment

"I make more than some doctors do back home."

found your problem right there.

Comment

“I make more than some doctors do back home.”

Its true. Nurses in Cali are well paid, in fact we decided to have my wife go back to work this year since our kiddo is nearly in school. Working without any differentials, call or overtime (which is likely) its nearly 6 figures.

Travel jobs in the LA area are not hard to find for 150k, with a bunch of non taxed stipends which means they make 150 and get taxed about 40. Its insane. Plus the lack of responsibility and much younger start. Not a bad profession, could retire by 40 very comfortably.

Comment

Travel jobs in the LA area are not hard to find for 150k, with a bunch of non taxed stipends which means they make 150 and get taxed about 40. Its insane. Plus the lack of responsibility and much younger start. Not a bad profession, could retire by 40 very comfortably.

Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried (many) bags for a lovely and gracious 59 yo Cyd Charisse. (RIP) Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

Comment

Also nice to not have a target on your back anytime there is a discussion on cutting costs. How many NYT articles have you seen on the compensation or nurses and other allied health providers.

Comment

“And, [Fowkes] adds, he also has a new $160,000 swimming pool.”

Interesting way to spend some of his earnings. Must be one ************************ of a pool.

Yeah holy moly.

The more I think about it, the more I am thinking it has to be a typo.  $60,000 should build a very nice swimming pool with water features etc.  Or maybe it's a $70,000 pool and a $90,000 spent on the backyard and patio.

But ************************ maybe it's an olympic pool with a vanishing edge pouring over some cliff in Pennsylvania.

Comment

Click to expand…

Its true. Nurses in Cali are well paid, in fact we decided to have my wife go back to work this year since our kiddo is nearly in school. Working without any differentials, call or overtime (which is likely) its nearly 6 figures.

Yes, Cali nurses are well paid.  BUT Kaiser nurses in Cali are paid a ridiculous salary.  Ive personally seen their pay scale.  Starting nurse salary in 2017 was about 45 an hour.  Some advance practice RN's and PAs were making over 100 an hour.  Their work conditions are considerably better than non-kaiser hospitals.

I wont even mention the benefits which are even more ridiculous.

The crazy pay, benefits and awesome work conditions is why this guy is willing to travel across the country to work for Kaiser in California...

Comment

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Yes, Cali nurses are well paid.  BUT Kaiser nurses in Cali are paid a ridiculous salary.  Ive personally seen their pay scale.  Starting nurse salary in 2017 was about 45 an hour.  Some advance practice RN’s and PAs were making over 100 an hour.  Their work conditions are considerably better than non-kaiser hospitals.

I wont even mention the benefits which are even more ridiculous.

The crazy pay, benefits and awesome work conditions is why this guy is willing to travel across the country to work for Kaiser in California…

Starting RN is 45? Thats bonkers, thats an experienced RN anywhere else. Gonna have my wife change over to them soon then.

Comment

Working...
                    X