• Show
Clear All

• mobilehomegurl
    replied
    Congrats on making the switch!  

Leave a comment:

• WealthyDoc
    replied

…. and, as of today, as a part time partner.

Click to expand…

I am happy for you and not so secretly envious!

No way our hospital employer will allow a part-time status, regardless of the specialty need. In fact, if our productivity slips as much as one RVU below their survey median for specialty, we take an additional 10-15%/RVU cut in overall compensation, which is already below MGMA median.

It is time to renegotiate or reevaluate whether you want to be there.  If they pay you below median for median work, do you see that as fair?  If not, why do you allow that?  No employee can ever work part-time in your whole organization in any circumstance?  Really?  Hard to believe.  It isn't an employer I would choose.

Leave a comment:

• q-school
    replied

Redux on this old thread.

In the last week at the Hospital, three (referring) colleagues approached me and remarked how great/happy/relaxed I appeared. I wanted to tell them that the WCI Conference had an unintended salubrious side effect ???? , but instead I thanked them and wished them well.

This part time thing is really working out well, in addition to dumping the undesirable aspects of the IR practice. I wish I had done it all sooner.

that's awesome.

is it too early to ask what role the coaching played?  I'm interested in all aspects-planning, preparation, negotiation, execution.

thanks!

Leave a comment:

• VagabondMD
    replied
    Redux on this old thread.

In the last week at the Hospital, three (referring) colleagues approached me and remarked how great/happy/relaxed I appeared. I wanted to tell them that the WCI Conference had an unintended salubrious side effect , but instead I thanked them and wished them well.

This part time thing is really working out well, in addition to dumping the undesirable aspects of the IR practice. I wish I had done it all sooner.

Leave a comment:

• Matas
    replied

Click to expand…

No way our hospital employer will allow a part-time status, regardless of the specialty need. In fact, if our productivity slips as much as one RVU below their survey median for specialty, we take an additional 10-15%/RVU cut in overall compensation, which is already below MGMA median.
    Click to expand…

Time to find a new employer.

Or no employer. Working on that.

Leave a comment:

• hightower
    replied
    In the hospitalist world I dont think people question you when you tell them you work part time. Full time work can lead to burn out pretty easily. I have found that if I limit the number of rounding shifts I do to about a 0.7 FTE (approx 12 shifts a month) it can really help me feel refreshed and ready to face my days. Anymore than that and I start to feel burnt out. I supplement my rounding days with extra admitting shifts which I find less cumbersome (fewer pts to see).

Leave a comment:

• q-school
    replied

Click to expand…

Preferably one that doesn’t include a title of “Prison Warden.”

yeah, sheesh.

I don't know what else to say.

Leave a comment:

• VagabondMD
    replied

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

I completely agree @Matas. For many years, I assumed that the part-time arrangement that I currently have "will never work", but I made it happen and so can you. It might require leaving your current position, which I was prepared to do. When you are really ready for part time, you can and will find a way to work it out.

I did not always feel this way, but I think that 75% (or more, maybe 90%+) of docs hold the upper hand in their employment relationships, but only about 25% realize it and even fewer know how to capitalize on it. We are accustomed to sucking it up, getting along, not making waves, being a team player, blah, blah, blah, and our overlords use this to walk all over us.

Leave a comment:

• G
    replied

Preferably one that doesn't include a title of "Prison Warden."

Leave a comment:

• BurnedoutDoc
    replied
    Congrats!  I have found that 0.5 FTE (half-time, as one of my colleagues who also does this says, part-time makes it sound like a hobby) is the sweet spot.

When I come to work people remark about my positive attitude.  That's because I may not have another shift for like 7 days!  And I am getting benefits (that is probably worth about $50,000 per year).

Leave a comment:

• CM
    replied

Click to expand…

Leave a comment:

• Matas
    replied

.... and, as of today, as a part time partner.

Leave a comment:

• VagabondMD
    replied
    I signed my part time contract today.

My sleep has improved significantly since January 1.

I have five trips (one pure business, the rest all or mostly fun) in the next 10 weeks, including the WCI Conference.

Life is good!

Leave a comment:

• Wudoc111
    replied
    Also Male Doc turning 51 soon and I also decreased to .8 FTE after some burnout last year (26 years in Practice - IM/hospitalist). Although my burnout was related to the way medicine is evolving and you can only adapt so many times. As stated in earlier posts, doubt physicians in our field will have > 30 + years as in the past unless you add 10-20 in administration.

I reviewed my savings, polished up my CV and almost gave noticed last year.  Being "FIRE" helped and thus contemplating retiring makes a difference since I felt I did not have to cut corners to try to make up for the issues making work less desirable.  I could truly quit at anytime and not worry.  I still enjoy medicine immensely and thus chose to adapt instead (OK I gave in).  Part of which was for me to slow down and not rush things; thus I sometimes stretch my 10 hour days into 12 hours (often compensated if I submitted extra hours worked). Furthermore, after realizing I was  "FIRE," this let me stand up more vigorously various obstacles that arise between me and my patients and thus more gratification with work.

Despite 2-3 less days/month with FTE .8, it has made a difference. I think it also depends if your children are at home or off in college since I find myself with very little to do when my kids are gone.  I initially dreamed of the extravagant trips and endeavors possible with time off, however, I think I cleaned out my workshops when I last had 14 days off. Funny how with age, I also became much more sedentary.

The demand for hospitalist in our city has always been competitive (5 hospitals competing for bodies). And thus "part time, semi-retiring, or contemplating retiring" doesn't have much impact. Our group has been together long enough to know how much I have contributed and they wish for me to try to stay on as long as possible. Although as per stated by prior peers, doubt the future cares much for experienced physicians. Perhaps if I contemplated administration roles offered, then the work status is much more relevant.  But I think I would rather retire rather than be influenced again by the dark side (tried that once with Kaiser in 1990s). Wife also works and thus I think I will stick it out Part-time/semi-retired or contemplating retiring until age 58. Perhaps one of these later obstacles that gets in the way I care for my patients will get me fired or my group will find a fantastic energetic new doctor ready to take over my position.  The bright side would be that it would be a great excuse to have much more free time earlier.

Honestly, can we ever be fully retired. Likely we will dabble in some other projects.

Leave a comment:

• ajagannathan
    replied
    I'm a 41 y/o IR doc (70% IR/30% DR) 10 yrs out of fellowship, and up until just learning about the FI(RE) movement through a friend who referred me to the WCI site a couple months ago, I had always envisioned myself working in some clinical capacity as long as I was physically able.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do now, I anticipate being at my FI "number" by 45ish, and am trying to wrap my head around what I'd like to transition into careerwise then.

Vagabond, thanks for your insightful posts as always, it is incredibly helpful to learn from someone with a similar career arc + 10 yrs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X