No announcement yet.

Part time vs. semi-retired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

…. and, as of today, as a part time partner.

Click to expand…

I am happy for you and not so secretly envious!

No way our hospital employer will allow a part-time status, regardless of the specialty need. In fact, if our productivity slips as much as one RVU below their survey median for specialty, we take an additional 10-15%/RVU cut in overall compensation, which is already below MGMA median.

Time to find a new employer.
    Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried (many) bags for a lovely and gracious 59 yo Cyd Charisse. (RIP) Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

Comment

Congrats!  I have found that 0.5 FTE (half-time, as one of my colleagues who also does this says, part-time makes it sound like a hobby) is the sweet spot.

When I come to work people remark about my positive attitude.  That's because I may not have another shift for like 7 days!  And I am getting benefits (that is probably worth about $50,000 per year).

Comment

Preferably one that doesn't include a title of "Prison Warden."

Comment

Click to expand…

No way our hospital employer will allow a part-time status, regardless of the specialty need. In fact, if our productivity slips as much as one RVU below their survey median for specialty, we take an additional 10-15%/RVU cut in overall compensation, which is already below MGMA median.
          Click to expand…

I completely agree @Matas. For many years, I assumed that the part-time arrangement that I currently have "will never work", but I made it happen and so can you. It might require leaving your current position, which I was prepared to do. When you are really ready for part time, you can and will find a way to work it out.

I did not always feel this way, but I think that 75% (or more, maybe 90%+) of docs hold the upper hand in their employment relationships, but only about 25% realize it and even fewer know how to capitalize on it. We are accustomed to sucking it up, getting along, not making waves, being a team player, blah, blah, blah, and our overlords use this to walk all over us.

Comment

Click to expand…

Preferably one that doesn’t include a title of “Prison Warden.”

yeah, sheesh.

I don't know what else to say.

Comment

In the hospitalist world I dont think people question you when you tell them you work part time. Full time work can lead to burn out pretty easily. I have found that if I limit the number of rounding shifts I do to about a 0.7 FTE (approx 12 shifts a month) it can really help me feel refreshed and ready to face my days. Anymore than that and I start to feel burnt out. I supplement my rounding days with extra admitting shifts which I find less cumbersome (fewer pts to see).

Comment

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Or no employer. Working on that.

Comment

Redux on this old thread.

In the last week at the Hospital, three (referring) colleagues approached me and remarked how great/happy/relaxed I appeared. I wanted to tell them that the WCI Conference had an unintended salubrious side effect , but instead I thanked them and wished them well.

This part time thing is really working out well, in addition to dumping the undesirable aspects of the IR practice. I wish I had done it all sooner.

Comment

Redux on this old thread.

In the last week at the Hospital, three (referring) colleagues approached me and remarked how great/happy/relaxed I appeared. I wanted to tell them that the WCI Conference had an unintended salubrious side effect ???? , but instead I thanked them and wished them well.

This part time thing is really working out well, in addition to dumping the undesirable aspects of the IR practice. I wish I had done it all sooner.

that's awesome.

is it too early to ask what role the coaching played?  I'm interested in all aspects-planning, preparation, negotiation, execution.

thanks!

Comment

Click to expand…

It is time to renegotiate or reevaluate whether you want to be there.  If they pay you below median for median work, do you see that as fair?  If not, why do you allow that?  No employee can ever work part-time in your whole organization in any circumstance?  Really?  Hard to believe.  It isn't an employer I would choose.

Comment

Congrats on making the switch!  

Comment

Working...
                        X