Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VANguard? vanGUARD? Have I been pronouncing it incorrectly all this time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VANguard? vanGUARD? Have I been pronouncing it incorrectly all this time?

I always thought Vangaurd, the company, was pronounced like vanguard, the English word, with the stress on the first syllable. However, after listening to some of WCI's podcasts, I'm starting to think I might be wrong.

How do you pronounce the company's name?

VANguard for me. But I’ve always said Bogleheads with a long A (Bahgle heads) when apparent it is Bogleheads with a long O (Bohgle heads). So I could be wrong.   8O

Comment

I don't think people really use the word vanguard enough to notice.

You can call them up and they'll tell you.   

Comment

Bogleheads is named after VANguard founder John Bogle, pronounced bOgle. It has always tickled me that almost everyone else seems to pronounce it "Boggle-heads", which rhymes with "Bobble-heads". I just tried out Bogleheads with a long A and it came out BAGEL-heads, which sounds even funnier.

Speaking of bobbleheads, I think all conference attendees should get a WCI bobblehead in their swag bags. Collector's item!
        Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

I have also always pronounced VANguard - though cannot confirm this is correct.

Comment

I think it's "Van-guarrrrrrrrrd!"  (Roll the 'r')  You are also supposed to make a broad sweeping motion with your arm, with a gold coin between the thumb and index finger, when you say it.

Comment

Hit the speaker button to the right of the word:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vanguard

Comment

Bogleheads is named after VANguard founder John Bogle, pronounced bOgle. It has always tickled me that almost everyone else seems to pronounce it “Boggle-heads”, which rhymes with “Bobble-heads”. I just tried out Bogleheads with a long A and it came out BAGEL-heads, which sounds even funnier.

Speaking of bobbleheads, I think all conference attendees should get a WCI bobblehead in their swag bags. Collector’s item!

I was just going to post about this!  I have always pronounced it "Boggle-Head" too until a friend of mine pointed it out to me that I was pronouncing his name wrong. I can't stop pronouncing it wrong in my head though.

Comment

Yeah I have been pronouncing Boglehead wrong in my head for years also.  I realized it listening to a POF podcast.

Comment

Working...
                  X