Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help on a gift for an 11 year old - stock certificate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help on a gift for an 11 year old - stock certificate?

Yeah I know I'm late for gift ideas. Not really a gift person.

I'd like to get my 11 year old bonus something semi-useful/learning tool for money. Don't worry his dad is getting him some xbox games so he'll have his fun stuff too.

Was thinking of purchasing a stock certificate (or download print one since too late to get a real one by this weekend!).

Anyone have any other creative ideas?

National Park edition of Monopoly (I saw it at REI last weekend). He can learn about money and real estate but also learn about our wonderful national parks. Plus, many kids have missed out on the fun of board games.

It’s a winner on multiple levels.

Comment

If he doesn't have it already, a Nintendo Switch.  Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey are a couple of the best games to come out in the last decade!  Plus having a console-level system that you can play on the go alleviates boredom on long car trips and plane rides.

No this does nothing directly to teach about money.  However, saving up $60 for a new game on the virtual console is worth a fair amount of chores, allowance, shoveling snow or mowing lawns for neighbors, etc.  Besides, the switch was one of my favorite purchase this year.  My seven year old son and I both are really enjoying this new system.

Comment

If he doesn’t have it already, a Nintendo Switch.  Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey are a couple of the best games to come out in the last decade!  Plus having a console-level system that you can play on the go alleviates boredom on long car trips and plane rides.

No this does nothing directly to teach about money.  However, saving up $60 for a new game on the virtual console is worth a fair amount of chores, allowance, shoveling snow or mowing lawns for neighbors, etc.  Besides, the switch was one of my favorite purchase this year.  My seven year old son and I both are really enjoying this new system.

He already has the switch!

Comment

National Park edition of Monopoly (I saw it at REI last weekend). He can learn about money and real estate but also learn about our wonderful national parks. Plus, many kids have missed out on the fun of board games.

I think we have regular monopoly (we just moved and stuff still in boxes) - still get this one?

Comment

That was a winner for me in so many ways! Just ordered it - along with Uno Wilderness Game - to be delivered by Amazon on Friday. Will play them with my grandkids that night while babysitting for Mom and Dad to have a night out. PERFECT - I owe you one.
            Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Bought it!

I'm always looking for a way to get him to not be glued to a screen, so thanks for this.

Comment

$100 in a stash account.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackfriedman/2017/02/02/stash-investment-app/#565c14d869e5

My little brother has fun with his.

Comment

Well the 11 year old girl who working as my "play receptionist" today (my nurse's daughter who I delivered) said to get him Legos or anything batman.

Comment

I got Legos for my 52 y.o. BF who likes to come over to our house and fix everything that's broken (she and her hubs used to flip houses). Apparently, they are a good present for any age.

PS - I think that is very sweet that you have her there as your play receptionist. Who knows what influence you will have on her as she grows up?  
                    Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

I got Legos

I pity your feet. (but I love Legos)

How about a bicycle? Or tickets to a concert? or a cell phone? Or a plane ticket to camp they choose, or to see grandma or a cool uncle/cousin/etc.

Comment

Click to expand…

Bought it!

I’m always looking for a way to get him to not be glued to a screen, so thanks for this.

Wonderful. We had a National Park edition of a card matching game that we played with the kids when they were young. Not only did we learn that their short term memories were soon better than ours, but they learned the names and signature images from all of the major National Parks. Then, when we took them to visit the parks years later, they were excited to visit the places that they learned of when they were younger. I could not have planned it better.

And you can all play it together (not the baby yet but before you know it...).

Comment

The heck with the 11 year old - I want that National Parks Monopoly set! :mrgreen:   Guess I know what I'll be using my REI dividend on this coming year.

Comment

The heck with the 11 year old – I want that National Parks Monopoly set! :mrgreen:   Guess I know what I’ll be using my REI dividend on this coming year.

I almost impulse purchased it for myself on the way out the door.

Comment

Settlers of Catan is a great board game to play with your family. We will be playing it multiple times over the holidays.

It may not teach him about money, but it will teach strategy, improvisation, negotiation, and many other useful skills, and it's great fun too.

Best wishes too everyone on the forum for a safe and happy holiday.

Comment

Working...
                              X