No announcement yet.

What's on your Christmas list?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Already got it - a new refrigerator to replace the one that was on its last cycle.
    Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Surly Disc Haul Trucker Surly Cyclocross
      Click to expand…

But, now that you’ve put a new bike on the table, I’ll raise you and say that I would be very happy if there was a new carbon fibre road bike sitting under the tree. Specifically:

https://www.cervelo.com/en/road/r-series/r5?model=81f46a8b-c018-47b9-8b54-1122e8d745f8

Image result for cervelo r5

Unfortunately, I am approaching the s-1 criteria of The Rules #12, so I doubt whether I will be seeing any new carbon frames this year.

Rule #12 //
      The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.

While the minimum number of bikes one should own is three, the correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

As someone who is single, I'm in the n+1 phase of life and it's glorious. LOL. I think I'll ultimately wind up with 3 bikes: road, touring, hyrbid/commuter.

That's a pretty bike. I love to look at carbon frame bikes but they're so fragile and expensive. If I broke such a bike, I'd probably shed actual tears because you can't repair them like you could an aluminum or steel frame. Happy and safe riding to you though.

Comment

I love to look at carbon frame bikes but they’re so fragile and expensive.

I agree. A high end bike is an unjustifiable luxury for almost everyone. But, on the positive side, it's a much cheaper hobby than exotic cars.

I still chuckle every time I re-read the following review of a high end bike (written by a journalist who is usually writing for the automobile section of the paper)

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/adventure/red-line/a-dream-machine-why-this-15000-bicycle-is-pure-joy-to-ride/article31059918/

My favourite quote is: "The ownership of ultra-high-end bicycles is generally confined to a couple of splinter demographics: young, ultra-fit professional racers who are paid to ride them, and over-the-hill wannabes [ed: unfortunately, I'm in this latter category] who have spent their lives toiling to accrue the funds necessary it takes to buy something this perfect. ....There are two ways of looking at a $15,000 bike: It is either an incredibly expensive bicycle, or a really cheap Ferrari."

Comment

I love to look at carbon frame bikes but they’re so fragile and expensive. 
          Click to expand…

I agree. A high end bike is an unjustifiable luxury for almost everyone. But, on the positive side, it’s a much cheaper hobby than exotic cars.

I still chuckle every time I re-read the following review of a high end bike (written by a journalist who is usually writing for the automobile section of the paper)

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/adventure/red-line/a-dream-machine-why-this-15000-bicycle-is-pure-joy-to-ride/article31059918/

My favourite quote is: “The ownership of ultra-high-end bicycles is generally confined to a couple of splinter demographics: young, ultra-fit professional racers who are paid to ride them, and over-the-hill wannabes [ed: unfortunately, I’m in this latter category] who have spent their lives toiling to accrue the funds necessary it takes to buy something this perfect. ….There are two ways of looking at a $15,000 bike: It is either an incredibly expensive bicycle, or a really cheap Ferrari.”

True, except the over the hill wannabes seem to be incredibly fit almost everywhere. I havent gone to a town small enough where the local cycling ride didnt have some people capable of producing serious pain. My residency was in a tiny town of like 60k, and sure the concentration of doctors made for more cyclists, but those TNWC were intense (we had a guy that ended up winning the Gila without a team at Cat 2, and a couple other former cat 2 and lots of 3s. Sure, its even worse if you're trying to hang on to the front group at the Shootout, but Im always impressed at the fitness levels of these "wannabes".

Totally true about the engine though. That same dude came blazing past me in TT practice one time on a like 7 speed with down tube shifters and zero aero equipment. Those guys would crush us on a huffy. Pretty nuts.

Comment

Some (digestible) books on the history of US healthcare.

Also some board games from a best of 2017 list.

Really, the best gift would be if someone could dissipate the stress and hassle of moving…yecch

What board games made your list? Our recent favorites are Splendor, Red 7, and Hanabi! All are super fun!

Comment

Really, the best gift would be if someone could dissipate the stress and hassle of moving…yecch
              Click to expand…

What board games made your list? Our recent favorites are Splendor, Red 7, and Hanabi! All are super fun!

King of Tokyo is a fun game, so many variations depending on cards, rolls, etc.

Comment

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Yep, we have that too! Have you played Machi Koro or sushi go? Also fun. We are total board game geeks and do game nights several times a month with friends. Perhaps not super glamorous but an easy way to hang out when you have kids.

Comment

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Yep, we have that too! Have you played Machi Koro or sushi go? Also fun. We are total board game geeks and do game nights several times a month with friends. Perhaps not super glamorous but an easy way to hang out when you have kids.

I havent played those, but I'll look into them, thanks.

Comment

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

For sushi go do you have the original or the party version?

Comment

Already got it – a new refrigerator to replace the one that was on its last cycle.

Did you change the layout from what you had previously? Out latest has the freezer on the bottom, not the top nor on the side. It's 1000% more civilized.

Comment

I’m in the n+1 phase of life and it’s glorious. LOL. I think I’ll ultimately wind up with 3 bikes: road, touring, hyrbid/commuter.

Effing Casual.   

We peaked at around 12 between me, the wife, and two kids.  We're at 9 right now, with two going to the local thrift store for a charitable donation, and one going into deep storage for when my 10 year old is taller than me.  I will likely add a fat-bike this year too.  That way I have a spare MTB for when we get visitors.  I live in the middle of some world class mountain biking.

Comment

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

For sushi go do you have the original or the party version?

The party version

Comment

Carbon really isn't fragile expensive.  Aside from potential sun damage, that stuff will last a LONG time and take some serious punishment.  If you are afraid of carbon fiber, you are done flying, since most new design planes are composite as well as well as driveshafts in hyper cars.

The reputation mostly comes from the fact that it won't bend the way metal will (high elastic, low plastic deformation), and is unlikely to simply crack.  When it goes, it GOES big.

Carbon bikes are absolutely repairable, though the guy's at the shop in the business of selling bikes, not repairing frames may tell you different.

https://gearjunkie.com/carbon-fiber-bike-frame-repair

Comment

I'm so boring that I sometimes wish I had a list of wants I could go out to buy that would entertain me.  The bonsai tree sounds interesting, although I am pretty certain that would end up in a dead heap behind my garage.

Comment

Already got it – a new refrigerator to replace the one that was on its last cycle.
                                Click to expand…

Did you change the layout from what you had previously? Out latest has the freezer on the bottom, not the top nor on the side. It’s 1000% more civilized.

Yes and I am in refrigerator heaven. It has a middle tray that can be used as a fridge or set a button to change it to freezer temp and a showcase door that we use all the time. Old one was side-by-side.
                                Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Working...
                                X