Weekend Locums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend Locums?

Is this a thing? I never know what to believe when I talk to these guys but A locums recruiter told me has he some physicians that work their regular job Mon-Fri afternoon, hop on a plane and see patients sat/sun a few weekends a month, and usually earning about 4-5k for the weekend.

Might be tough to burn the candle at both ends, and a local gig might make more sense if it doesn't violate a non-compete, but depending on your specialty, I imagine you could probably find something. ED and urgent care are obvious choices. Anesthesia weekends tend to be 48 or 72 hours, which makes it tough to be back in action on a Monday morning.

Comment

I mean I'm sure some people do it but that doesn't mean it's sustainable.

I've known EM docs who work 22-24 nights a month. They aren't happy but I'm sure they are simply raking in cash.

Comment

There is more to life than money. I’ve worked 4 days a week since my third year of residency and the idea of working more holds zero attraction.

However if I were interested in something like this, I’d look for one with no travel - either where I could sleep in my own bed or do telemedicine.

Comment

Sounds to me like a path to burnout after a year or so. Also the medicolegal risk is much higher going to different places you are not familiar with. You will not know the systems of that particular facility. It only takes one medicolegal issue to take up many hours or days of your time in the future.
          Personally, I think working an extra half day or even day a week where you are familiar is more feasible. It could be argued that working more than 5 days a week has a negative effect on your health, family and life balance over time that may not be worth the limited financial benefit.

Comment

I did it for 2-3 years. Usually once a month to once every other month. Did it during cardiology fellowship

I would cover a small regional VA hospital. I took an hour flight. Then did 60 hours straight. Slept most nights. Covered 20-30 bed hospital with 3 icu beds (usually 8-15 pts on floor).

Easy Hospitalist work. Would round for 1-2 hours in am then 2-6 easy admits during day, 1-2 night. Made $150/hr so would pull in 9k. Would sleep and watch tv/movies for the most part

Pushed my fellowship to 170k range

Unfortunately this was pre WCI so i wasn’t too smart (actually downright stupid), but was ready for down payment in early attending hood

Comment

we have weekend locums for some areas in our hospital.

for us it is more common in small surgical subspecialties where the RVUs can only support 1-2 practitioners.

hard to find good people willing to do this though.

sometimes groups are hit hard by departures, and if a reasonable candidate can be found, weekend locums help prevent burnout.

Comment

I did it for 2-3 years. Usually once a month to once every other month. Did it during cardiology fellowship

I would cover a small regional VA hospital. I took an hour flight. Then did 60 hours straight. Slept most nights. Covered 20-30 bed hospital with 3 icu beds (usually 8-15 pts on floor).

Easy Hospitalist work. Would round for 1-2 hours in am then 2-6 easy admits during day, 1-2 night. Made $150/hr so would pull in 9k. Would sleep and watch tv/movies for the most part

Unfortunately this was pre WCI so i wasn’t too smart (actually downright stupid), but was ready for down payment in early attending hood

ha, that actually sounds pretty smart to me.

Comment

Yes, it's a thing and we have a few clients doing it for specific goals, not as a lifestyle. For example, to pay off student loans, to frontload retirement savings, to retire earlier. I would not recommend as a long-term plan.
                  Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Is this a thing? I never know what to believe when I talk to these guys but A locums recruiter told me has he some physicians that work their regular job Mon-Fri afternoon, hop on a plane and see patients sat/sun a few weekends a month, and usually earning about 4-5k for the weekend.

when you say they do it a few weekends a month, how do they describe how many weekends total exist in a month?

i would say that there are only a few weekends that exist in a month.  no way could someone take regular call at a job and then also do multiple weekends in a month well.

some jobs obviously don't have nights or weekends.  some people are part time.  some are in shifts that are flexible.  i can see those individuals doing weekend work.  not for most practices.  hard to imagine it won't cause burnout at some point for full timers

Comment

didn't you have to do research and write articles and other crap on weekends?  i guess i could write while working and prepare presentations while working but ************************, that's a lot of moonlighting, i think.  i was on call multiple weekends a month.  'luckily' there was enough work to do that they just kept us in-house.  when i was a fellow i was making 29k a year so maybe fellows make more these days?

Comment

Nope. Didn’t do any research my 3rd and 4th years.

For the most part it didn’t conflict other than one weekend where I was on call (was q3 weekends) and realized I was scheduled for a shift. I had to pay big money to get colleague to cover that weekend so was nearly a wash but I almost got caught which might have been a small to big issue.

I would also do some easy nights doing Hospitalist work at a small local hospital.. but yes between fellowship and my first three years it’s been a little rough

Have 4-5 more years and should then be able to coast (to a certain degree). Watching for the burnout signs and love reading some posts on here (and vagabonds article/blog)

Comment

can anyone give a resource on how to find opportunities without going through agencies? For example - do you contact hospital medical staff officer? local surgeons? etc

thinking about offering to cover some ER call at a particular hospital where I suspect they use locums. But no idea how to even start conversation?

thanks

Comment

To clarify I am referring to GI here. There are practices that need coverage for endoscopy on weekends for outpatient procedures, tends to be pretty quite work

Comment

I did locums 1-2 weekends a month during fellowship. Aside from sleeping in a hotel it was minimal burden/stress. Some weekends i never received a page and made 5k. Others I’d see a couple consults and rarely do a small surgery. Most of the time I’d watch football, run by the river, and check out the town. I enjoyed it. I think if you find something low key that is primarily call coverage it is great. Would have been far more stressful to round on multiple inpatients and cover a busy service.

Comment

Working...
                              X