Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make some extra cash with unexpected time off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make some extra cash with unexpected time off.

So I unexpectedly have about 3 months free. I just finished working for my current/now former employer. Unfortunately, my new office is undergoing a remodel (which of course is way behind schedule), so there's really no option to start much sooner than around March. Financially, I'll be fine without doing anything, as I'll continue to get paid from my prior contract until I start my new gig, but there is definitely a temptation there to try and earn some extra cash and avoid sitting around at home going stir crazy all winter.

So, for anyone out there with any experience with locums... how long does the process take from start to actually working? Odds are likely I'd have to go out of state, and that'll mean getting a new license as well. Is it even worth my time to start the process, or am I only going to have time to pick up a few days before my break is done?

For anyone else... any other ideas on how to make any extra dough with all my free time coming up? What would you do?

I think 3 months is perfect for a locums assignment. Some licenses take longer than others. I had a great experience with Weatherby as a psych locums for 3 mos. in Oregon and 3 in Hawaii. They paid for the licenses and helped with most of the paperwork. It was fairly simple and streamlined. I think the Hawaii license might be tough to get in a short amount of time.

Comment

How old are you. Fresh from residency. Towards retirement. Have you had good vacations in the past. How busy will your next job be. Have you saved enough and can do without the extra cash. If so, I would take a nice vacation abroad. Maybe Asia, South America or southern Europe. You may never get this chance in a long time

Getting licenses take time. The better option is to take your current state license and see if there are locums jobs in your state. maybe some direct calling and networking to get the gig

Comment

Also make sure that your current contract does not state that if you earn money from another source, especially in a medical field, your current pay might be reduced or stopped.

Comment

assuming you are in a decent sized state you shouldn't have any trouble finding a locum.

if they are desperate for help your credentialing can go pretty fast.

judging from your sn you are in peds. my mom did a bunch of primary care peds locums. overall a good experience but for her they clustered in VERY undesirable locations.

Comment

Didn't catch that you might be peds.  Consider Teladoc.  You should be able to be up and running quickly if you are board certified wherever you already have a license.  You can continue it if you enjoy it like I do.

Comment

Dr. Mom — a friend of mine who is spending a lot of time working on peds telemedicine for a big healthcare system pretty much hates Teladoc. I’m not familiar with it besides reading the website.

Could you share your thoughts on the ability to provide the quality of care you are accustomed to via this platform? And compensation (if you are willing to share)?
              An alt-brown look at medicine, money, faith, & family
              www.RogueDadMD.com

Comment

Unless you can find locums work in your current state (or another state in which you hold a license), you may struggle to get a new license in time. It can take months. The new licensure compact streamlines that process if you're lucky enough to live in one of the states that participates.

I've done locums before taking a full time job, between jobs, and even on time off during jobs. It's a great way to make extra money and keep your skills fresh while potentially adding to your skillset, or at least seeing how a different workplace operates.

Comment

Dr. Mom — a friend of mine who is spending a lot of time working on peds telemedicine for a big healthcare system pretty much hates Teladoc. I’m not familiar with it besides reading the website.

Could you share your thoughts on the ability to provide the quality of care you are accustomed to via this platform? And compensation (if you are willing to share)?

The AAP, in general, looks very unfavorably on telemedicine so I am not surprised by your friend's feelings.  As I have said before, I am older and remember a time before nurse phone lines took on the primary triage role for peds practices.  The nurse line was a service we paid for to get out of first line phone calls.  Now with Teladoc a patient can access a pediatrician instead of a nurse and the pediatrician gets paid.  Is calling/videoing me the same as seeing me in person? No.  But, stack me on phone or video against a nurse line, an adult UC or ER, or an unsupervised Peds NP for routine episodic care or anticipatory guidance, and I think I add a significant value and service. Insurers must see the value also, as many, including Medicaid, cover it.  My patients seem to be very appreciative and understand its limitations.  I am not doing anything more or less than what I did for years in practice taking primary phone call for our practice's patients for which I had no way to bill in order to get paid.  I could see how a younger doc who never had that experience could be wary.  Teladoc is working on improving their quality of care overall.  I have been pleased with the changes I am seeing.  They are more in line with the vision I see for them as an adjunct, not a replacement of primary care medicine.

Compensation is $23/phone or $28/video visit.  I will earn $18-$20K this year for what I view as an enjoyable hobby.  I wouldn't mind getting more involved in their business side, but have not been approached.  Also with my youngest still at home, my allotted free time for Teladoc is limited.  They are instituting new programs that could increase my income like patients being able to see that I am logged in and requesting me.  They also have started a secondary platform that practices could use after hours to phone or video their own patients and get paid.  Then Teladoc doctors would become a backup if one of the practice's own doctors was too busy to get to their patients.  That service may be what your friend is referring to.  In my neck of the woods, I haven't had any of those consults yet.  It is a whole new platform than what I am used to which to me is far more cumbersome.  I am not sure the small increase in pay we get is worth the hassle.  But, I'd have to try it first to decide.

Perhaps, more than you wanted to know.  Have a great day!

Comment

Multilevel Marketing?

Comment

That’s exactly what I was curious about — thank you
                      An alt-brown look at medicine, money, faith, & family
                      www.RogueDadMD.com

Comment

Multilevel Marketing?

this actually made me bust out laughing sitting at my laptop

Comment

How old are you. Fresh from residency. Towards retirement. Have you had good vacations in the past. How busy will your next job be. Have you saved enough and can do without the extra cash. If so, I would take a nice vacation abroad. Maybe Asia, South America or southern Europe. You may never get this chance in a long time...

I think I would actually kill for three months off with nothing to do. Okay, not kill (I might get a warning here for that), but maybe give an arm (q-school's arm)... You get the idea. Take a nice long vacation. There will be plenty of time to work when you return.

Comment

How old are you. Fresh from residency. Towards retirement. Have you had good vacations in the past. How busy will your next job be. Have you saved enough and can do without the extra cash. If so, I would take a nice vacation abroad. Maybe Asia, South America or southern Europe. You may never get this chance in a long time…
                            Click to expand…

I think I would actually kill for three months off with nothing to do. Okay, not kill (I might get a warning here for that), but maybe give an arm (q-school’s arm)… You get the idea. Take a nice long vacation. There will be plenty of time to work when you return.

I would give a lot for a 3 Mo vacation.  I would prefer it in summer but would take it when I could get it.

Comment

Another thing to think about is home remodel. If it is the sort of thing you are into....finish the basement, new floors, new bathroom, new paint, spruce up the landscaping, new deck. If you know what you are doing, it can save you a pretty penny. If you do electrical work you are basically saving about $130/hr (i.e. in our bracket it is the equivalent of doing medical work for $260/hr, not too shabby). Give me a roller and some good music and I'll paint until I run out of walls.

Same thing with car stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X