A good reason to live in HCOL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A good reason to live in HCOL

Our personalities are shaped by the climate we grew up in, new study says - The Washington Post

I read this article on apple news. Researchers studied people living in San Diego (avg temp 72deg) vs Marquette, MI (avg temp 50 deg)

“people who grew up in regions with average temperatures close to 72 degrees tend to be more agreeable, conscientiousness, emotionally stable, extroverted and open. These personality traits are what psychologists refer to as “the big five.””

I can’t figure out how to post the apple news article here. Any guidance?

Comment

Copy the link for the article (Ctl+C), hit edit on your original post, and hit Ctl+V, scroll to bottom and hit Submit.
      Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Is the article about growing up in a high cost of living area or a warm climate?

PS  Yoopers are a whole different breed.

Comment

Here's the WP article link:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/11/27/our-personalities-are-shaped-by-the-climate-we-grew-up-in-new-study-says/?utm_term=.21db53aebe7e

Weather related, not HCOL/LCOL related.  Quick, everyone move to San Diego!

Comment

I'll be forwarding this article to my wife.  I want to live somewhere like SD, but she's not convinced

Comment

Grew up in Detroit area and landed here in San Diego.  Guess I was a fish out of water in Detroit and found my school down here.   Definitely, Yoopers are unique in their own style right of those Minnesotans.

Comment

don't know how one defines open, conscientious, agreeable fairly.

i have lived in several places over the years, and if i had to pick a factor for determining friendliness, it would probably be smaller towns=more friendly.  unless you pick the wrong small town. 

i agree with the guy who said canadians are friendly.  in my travels, they are some of the friendliest.

is it true that extroverted is better than introverted?

Comment

Climate change means that it's 70 degrees here at the end of November (Missouri).  So if warm weather is all it takes then pretty soon the entire world will be happy all the time!
                  An alt-brown look at medicine, money, faith, & family
                  www.RogueDadMD.com

Comment

Climate change means that it’s 70 degrees here at the end of November (Missouri).  So if warm weather is all it takes then pretty soon the entire world will be happy all the time!

Well, except for people in San Diego.  They will soon be getting irritable as it will be too warm there, right? 60 and Sunny here in NE Ohio today and I am in a great mood.

Comment

I'd be curious how they landed on temperature as the correlative agent.  Why not "Vitamin D level linked to personality traits" or "Days of sunshine/year linked to personality traits" or "Average hours/day spent outside linked to personality traits" or "Average consumption of fresh produce linked to personality traits" or any number of other things that would also be different between people growing up in more equatorial vs polar locations?

To be clear, while I'm a little curious, I will never make a clinical decision based on this information, so I'm not nearly curious enough to read the whole study!  I'll just trust the peer-review process at Nature for now.

Comment

tend to be more agreeable, conscientiousness, emotionally stable, extroverted and open.

Who says I want to be any of those things!?  :P

And maybe living in MN I'm just playing the long game waiting for climate change to make us the new San Diego.

Also San Diego won't be so ideal when California splits off from the rest of the mainland.

Comment

Goodness gracious.  First, MN vs CA isn't what they studied.  Second, this isn't a COL study.

This study is going to fit into the "not everything that can be measured really matters" category.  From the data, the obvious conclusion is that the best place in the US to live would be... Death Valley.  Don't get me wrong, I love visiting there, but I'm pretty positive that living there year round is not going to make me more agreeable.

Comment

True, not a HCOL article.  But, we do pay a hefty "sunshine tax" out here.  By the way, it was 50 degrees on my drive into work.  I had my heater on high, seat heater on high and a hot cup of coffee.  I was in no mood to talk to anyone.   

Comment

True, not a HCOL article.  But, we do pay a hefty “sunshine tax” out here.  By the way, it was 50 degrees on my drive into work.  I had my heater on high, seat heater on high and a hot cup of coffee.  I was in no mood to talk to anyone.   ????

https://image.slidesharecdn.com/unsexystartups-130807174818-phpapp01/95/what-i-learned-about-enterprise-sales-from-apocalypse-now-35-638.jpg?cb=1375897802

Comment

Working...
                              X