Health Habits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health Habits

Trying to get the pulse of health habits that you do that help.

To focus such a large topic, Ill break down:

1) What time do you sleep? Any methods used

2) Any morning time habits? (meditation, exercise, etc)

3) Any diet plan that follow (vegan, vegetarian, paleo, juicing, etc)

4) What kind of exercise (HIIT, running, weights etc)

5) What kind of methods to reduce stress (exercise, journal, etc)

Any specific health hacks that have given you benefits?

1) 9 pm.  lay down and collapse.  call is killing me slowly.

2) exercise in am usually start by 5

3) eat food in front of me.  typically this involves some unkillable vegetable that has become fancified.  looking at you kale.  quinoa.

4) trainer.  light weights, squats, planks and elliptical.

5) have imaginary conversations where people agree i'm right.  spend time with friends.  spend time with kids.

Comment

1. Never.....or it feels that way. I have three small kids, two are bad sleepers. Go to be around 11, up around 530, interrupted between.

2. Morning are usually a rush, I always make coffee. When we are getting more sleep I will wake up earlier and work out.

3. My wife is the cook. We eat a mostly plant based diet. We are not vegan, but most days would fit that box. I was concerned about this, however i do not feel deprived at all. I was also worried about losing weight and muscle, neither has happened. I actually think I feel better having little to no meat and dairy. Nothing drastic, it helps when the person cooking cares a lot and makes everything taste amazing.

4. Weights and heated yoga.

5. We spend as much time as a family and with our close friends as we can. We walk a lot with our dog while our kids ride scooters and bikes. I golf when I can, that is my biggest stress reducer. Anything quiet helps me also.

Comment

Health habits that help . . . what? I mean, I believe that diet and exercise and sleep are the keystones to good health. Don't get me wrong there! I talk to all of my patients about those things, probably to death. But what specifically are you hoping to help?

Comment

1) fortunate to fall asleep within 2-3 minutes 95% of the time. being in EM the time I go down is variable. on a day with no work 9p-10p

2) coffee, let the dog out, email

3) general avoidance of sweets and added sugar, wish i could say it was better than that

4) mix of running and weights esp deadlift and squat

5) fairly low stress person and don't experience it much, walking dog is always therapeutic though

hacks:

-spirits instead of wine/beer

-focusing on deadlift and squat as above rather than complex other exercises

-gym attitude of it's better to do something than nothing so even going for 15 min, running 1 mile and doing 3 sets of 2 lifts >>> not going

-i also bike to work or at least walk 1/4 mile to the bus stop -- because of that really don't ever have long periods of being sedentary

Comment

There's a guy who has an entire blog dedicated to answering these very questions.  I haven't read them all but so far have been a good read.

www.thefirsthabit.com

Comment

4. For me 1-5 starts with consistent exercise. Spouse signed me up for boot camp (pre-CrossFit) Jan ‘14. Now it’s 3 nights a week with full hour workouts with barbells (started all this in mid 30s, slow and steady, no injuries). Sleep, diet got much better because of #4. I couldn’t do this until residency ended because of the changing schedule.

3. I pray at bedtime/PRN, attend local church, something I did since a child.

HTH

Comment

Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried (many) bags for a lovely and gracious 59 yo Cyd Charisse. (RIP) Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

Comment

Asleep by 8-9PM. Up at 4AM.

Morning read and reply to blogs.

Vegetarian since college.

Need to exercise more.  It gets harder as you age because of joints and flexibility.  Probably need a trainer again.

Dog therapy.

Comment

1. Try to keep it around 10pm to 6am

2. I play starcraft and drink coffee.  I should go for a jog instead

3. We're mostly vegetarian, but lately I've been eating a lot of chicken.  I also am trying to give up refined sugars.  My wife already has

4. I am currently trying to increase this category.  I go for jogs or brisk walks up the hills that surround our house.  My target is at least 3 days per week.  I've been pretty bad lately

5. Exercise, music, hobbies.

I need to lose weight, so all of the above are a struggle for me.  Trying to give up beer which I blame for a lot of my bad habits (staying up too late, eating too much, not exercising, not getting quality sleep, etc)

Comment

1.  Usually asleep by 10 pm.  A nibble of a 1 mg melatonin helps.

2.  Coffee.  Light breakfast with always at least a greek yogurt.  What my husband calls my insane doggie dance of getting the three of them out, fed, and watered.  They are always confused when he gets up before me.

3.  No special diet.  Just watching portion size.  Nothing fried.  Probably lean towards a Mediterranean diet.

4.  Love my cardio...elliptical, treadmill, or swimming.  Trying to be better with light weight-lifting.

5.  I have a pretty high tolerance for stress and find what stresses me out the most is focusing too hard on reducing it.  Exercise helps.  Spending time with family.  Reading.  Following Project Happiness on Facebook.

Comment

1. Sleep at 11-1.30 PM.

2. Get up at 7 -7.30 AM if wife is at home taking care of the daughter. Otherwise 6.30 AM to prepare breakfast and lunch for her and take her to school on the way to work. Coffee, rarely any breakfast for me.

3. Asian Indian - a vegetarian who rarely eats eggs. No meat, chicken or fish / seafood. have given up sugar in coffee / tea and rarely eat any sweets or chocolate. Trying to reduce fat intake too.

4. Have started to walk 10,000 steps a day, of which half is a planned semi brisk walk. Used to cycle but have not done in the past 2 years.

5. No specific anti stress measures. Took up meditation but have been very erratic with it.

Comment

sleep- I wish I could sleep 8 hours.  Even when my kids do not bother me, my body automatically wakes up by hour 5-6.  I sleep around 11. wake up around 5-6am. Any tips on how to sleep longer?

I exercise- home whatever I can cover on beach body on demand.

Get kids ready for school, breakfast, bring to school.

Any diet plan that follow- intermittent fasting, balanced diet (no particular restriction)

What kind of exercise - any 30 min exercise in beach body on demand.

What kind of methods to reduce stress- planning next vacation/weekend activities. I journal 5 years of project happiness- 1 line of what I am happy about for the day.  Spend time with husband and kids.  Fri night- husband and I have 1-2 cocktails.

Any specific health hacks that have given you benefits? Yoga helped me.  Again, timing is everything- between going back and forth to studio and class- it's a lot for my tight schedule. I will try to go back to this when I cut to part time.

Comment

1) I usually sleep from about 6am to 2pm on days off.  But the rest of the month it can be at any time of the day or night, and changes almost daily in amount and time.  I use the method of "pushing myself to complete exhaustion" to ensure a good rest.  In reality, a typical "day" cycle for me is actually about 28 hours long, if that makes sense to you day-walkers.

2) Most mornings, I simply surf the internet with bloodshot, half open eyes until it's time to crash.

3) My wife makes great healthy meals.  So, I like to supplement these with double cheeseburgers or McNuggets and a large coke before every shift, which I always pay for in exact change.  If I take a different car to the drive through that day, the random person at the window will ask if my car is OK.  I alternate this with not eating for 12-hour periods and actually stay pretty thin.

4) I do/over-do traditional weight lifting and cardio at the gym like it's still 1990.

5) The best way for me to reduce stress is to keep things simple.  Less stuff to weigh me down, no loans or overly complex schemes.   Exercise helps a lot.  I am constantly reading and listening to audiobooks to learn new things.  I also like to hike and spend time outdoors, and I play a few instruments.

Health hacks?....  I have none, unless you want to hack years off of your health.

Comment

Working...
                            X