burnout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• burnout

ANyone have any tips for fighting off burnout?

FIRE
    Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried (many) bags for a lovely and gracious 59 yo Cyd Charisse. (RIP) Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

Comment

ANyone have any tips for fighting off burnout?

I find this is a lot like weight loss. Everyone knows the answer, the question is can you apply it?

For weight loss, eat less, exercise more (I know I know, I'm working at it )

For burnout, work less, find something outside of work to engage you more

Good luck!

Comment

This depends on the causes.  I would fist begin by reflecting those things which affect your life in a negative way and look at what is under your control to change.  Sometimes it takes a change in hours, taking on less responsibility, having the willingness to take a step back and earn less money, learning and practicing leadership/resilience techniques, focusing on family life, and even getting one's hands around their finances better.  Will vary per the individual and their situation.  Wish you the best.

Comment

perhaps a little more background would provide more specific suggestions.

Comment

Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried (many) bags for a lovely and gracious 59 yo Cyd Charisse. (RIP) Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

Comment

One problem with burnout is that you don't have clarity regarding time-span. You are miserable, or working up to that feeling, and it seems as if you are stuck in something with no solution or end. This may sound counter-intuitive, but this a solid financial plan can go far to help relieve the problem. For example, if you know that you can afford to cut back now, change careers to something you really love at some point in the future, take a year's sabbatical, or work really hard for 5 years and then retire, it can become more tolerable than simply being "stuck" in a wretched situation with no relief in sight. Working on a sound solution and monitoring your progress relieves your feelings of helplessness and gives you back the power.
              Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Figure out what you can control, and change something to make yourself happier. For the things you can't control, learn to find meaning in the struggle.

Comment

For me it was a combination of cutting back, taking some control over my schedule (by going optional), and a careful reflection of why I was burned out in the first place.  I agree with everyone's advice above.

Comment

Figure out what is causing the burnout.  Is it the call schedule?  Money worries? Marital problems?  Work/Life balance?  Mine was the call schedule and fear of litigation. I stopped OB.

Comment

There's a lot more to burnout prevention and treatment than just finances, although having your finances sorted out allows you a lot more options in treating it. As I tell the emergency docs on the student doctor forum, it's pretty darn hard to get burn out working 15-20 hours a week no matter what you're doing.

I would suggest Dike Drummond's excellent Stop Burnout Now. I discussed it some in this post:

https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/using-a-venn-diagram-to-decrease-burnout/
                      Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

There’s a lot more to burnout prevention and treatment than just finances, although having your finances sorted out allows you a lot more options in treating it.

Agreed. I tend to see problems in the prism of finances and burnout encompasses many others.
                        Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Three wolves handle makes me guess the home plate is loaded too.

OP--More details and specifics would result in better recs than a generic -- work/life balance -- live on your budget and avoid debt.

Comment

Like WCI

Cut back on work. Obviously an issue if you can't because of night/call coverage issues. Then imo it's time to join a bigger group to dilute call

Doubt many could get burned out doing 3-4 days/week with no or limited call.

Comment

Like WCI

Cut back on work. Obviously an issue if you can’t because of night/call coverage issues. Then imo it’s time to join a bigger group to dilute call

Doubt many could get burned out doing 3-4 days/week with no or limited call.

From personal experience, cutting back and dropping an onerous call schedule has breathed new life into my career.

Systematically reduce or eliminate the aspects of your job that create the most stress, anxiety and overall negativity. Keeping cutting them until you can tolerate your job again. If this does not work, you will need a new job.

Comment

Working...
                              X