Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bay Area to get more expensive

11% raises in SF schools contract would be among tops in state

"The overall compensation package would grow to 16 percent pending passage of a parcel tax that many city leaders hope to place on the ballot next year."

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/11-raises-in-SF-schools-contract-would-be-among-12333929.php

Wow.  This is what happens when unions and politicians have their love-fest.  Nevermind that CA has nearly $1 trillion in unfunded pension liabilities and already has some of the worst taxes in the country.  Hold onto your butts, people.  Sooner or later people vote with their feet.

Comment

Conversely, how do public school teachers afford to live anywhere close to San Francisco? That would seem to be a pretty big issue.

Comment

They don't.

Comment

I doubt many people will move over this. It seems like everyone wants to be in California. . .

Comment

I have a nice burned out lot in wine country. It has a beautiful sunset view with apocalyptic skyline. Great for the doomsayers out there.

Comment

To say that teachers in general can't afford to live in SF overstates things a bit.  Even the single earning teacher can afford to live there, assuming they share an apartment.  Married to another earner, things perk up.  The main gripe in this situation seems to be cost of living.  SF would be wise to re-examine their policies on rent control to help remedy that problem.  Disallowing the state tax and property tax deductions will also drive down demand in the long term, admittedly with short term pains.

Comment

My son is looking at a college in San Francisco.  The cheapest apartments are more expensive than my mortgage payment.  This is part of the reason I live in one of the most affordable cities in the nation.

Oh, I also saw in an article how $600,000 gets you 1 bed, 1 bath, 650 square feet in SF.

Comment

Wow.  This is what happens when unions and politicians have their love-fest.  Nevermind that CA has nearly $1 trillion in unfunded pension liabilities and already has some of the worst taxes in the country.  Hold onto your butts, people.  Sooner or later people vote with their feet.

Illinois Is Losing 1 Resident Every 4.6 Minutes

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-12-21/illinois-losing-1-resident-every-46-minutes

Comment

Working...
                  X