• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 23 and Me genetic testing

Has anybody or their patients done the 23 and me genetic testing

https://www.23andme.com/

Seems interesting to obtain

The only hesitation I have currently is if this information was ever obtained by insurance companies.

The rules do not allow this now, but they could change in the future.

we just sent ours in -- using wrong bdays, names, and unnamed emails and addresses/zip codes.  We've seen what 'anonymized' data get unmask when cross referenced with DMV data -- see Latanya Sweeney's work

Comment

I think this is pretty variable, meaning if you do it more than once you get different answers.

Comment

I think it would be interesting.  Maybe I will change my demographic data also.  I do genetic testing in my office looking for Breast cancer genes.  I have seen a number of positives.  I think it is good to know because you can make some plans on childbirth etc.

Comment

I'm skeptical of the utility of the information. What are the chances I have blue eyes? Not sure what the dna says but my mirror says I don't have blue eyes.

Comment

You do remember genetics class, right? Or maybe your mirror has a filter...

Comment

We've done 23andMe, and some others too. I'm a scientist, and 100% willing to support science. 

There are perceived risks, but I decided I'd give accurate data, full genetic access, and also make it public online. Science has to move forward, and I decided I had very low risk of a negative consequence. 

Comment

We’ve done 23andMe, and some others too. I’m a scientist, and 100% willing to support science. 

There are perceived risks, but I decided I’d give accurate data, full genetic access, and also make it public online. Science has to move forward, and I decided I had very low risk of a negative consequence. 

Science isnt the problem, its corporations with your data. This is strictly a corporate, and mostly entertaining proposition. Data is exceedingly valuable and you probably signed something where they own it and are free to sell it. I have no problem doing it under false non identifying information, but not everything linked. All of these privacy things have not turned out to be fake concerns, whats happened is really the opposite.

Comment

Have not done and do not plan to do for this very reason. Not only could affect your life but also your siblings, children, etc -- too big of a risk imo

Comment

So the people who did not anonymize our data - are we screwed? I am not worried about insurance companies because I have good genes and am healthy. What am I missing? 'They' already know more about you than you'll like to believe imo.

Comment

Vs giving them you entire genome--talk about Big Data.   

Now, 23andMe does state that it's not going to sell the information outright and make it available for research.  Doesn't mean that they'll sell the access for said data, which is quite interesting as we move forward in large scale targeted therapy research -- this is a goldmine for referencing and cross referencing--all in the private sector.

So yeah, it's very noble to be like @adventure and put out clean PII data out there.  Being a clinical informatics guy, you don't have to give out specific data about yourself for reliable anon data -- just don't use really specific ideatifiers -- like DOB and zip code -- that's crazy specific.  See here.

I do the 1/1/year and wrong zip code (use the main downtown zipcode of San Diego ).  

Comment

My initial thoughts on this are that I would be afraid it would just give me more to worry about.  Plus, no one really knows how to interpret the results.  Genetic predisposition does not equal your fate.  It would be interesting to see what "spikes" I have in my ancestry, but really, we're all related at least a little bit if you go back far enough, so who really cares if I'm 46% European or 58% sub-Saharan.

I'd be more interested in hiring the team from "Finding Your Roots" on PBS to have them research my ancestry the way they do for celebrities.  That would be much more interesting than knowing what my genome says IMO.  http://www.pbs.org/weta/finding-your-roots/home/

Comment

You think using incorrect names and emails is going to protect your genetic data? I think not. 

Comment

I'm sure you have heard of guilt by association as was practiced during the Second Red Scare by Joseph McCarthy.

How about guilt by familial DNA! DNA for sale: Who owns your genes?

Comment

I’m sure you have heard of guilt by association as was practiced during the Second Red Scare by Joseph McCarthy.

How about guilt by familial DNA! DNA for sale: Who owns your genes?

Exactly why Im not a fan. Have to think about how it will be used in reality, that laws will change to benefit big interests not people, and what limited good can come from it. These are companies, not your pcp.

Comment

Working...
                              X