o'reilly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• o'reilly

i avoid watching news channels at all costs, so I barely even know who this is.

please try to keep politics out of the comments.  it's not intended to stir that pot.

i'm just struggling to understand why this guy still has a job after 100 million dollars in payouts for sexual harassment.  and then they give him a record deal?

i mean wtf?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/10/21/report-bill-oreilly-struck-sexual-harassment-deal-january-former-fox-analyst/787360001/

perhaps people more knowledgeable about these types of issues can educate me on why i shouldn't feel disgusted/embarassed.  at least, please explain how the payouts have not priced him out of the market.  they can't get someone 90% as good for 90% of the price without the sexual harassment risk?

He was fired a few months ago.  I believe he personally paid the women not fox.  It is sad because I always enjoyed his commentary.  I had no idea this was going on.  Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Comment

I cant believe he has enough money for those kind of payouts, its insane, but I guess he is a prolific author as well.

Comment

Leaving aside the sexual impropriety aspect, some of the TV and radio hosts get paid extravagant sums and one wonders if the employer will ever recoup it.

Howard Stern got paid $500M for the years $2006-2010. I think he still gets paid $80M per year. How does Sirius justify a 5 year deal worth half a billion dollars. But they do.

Compared to that O'Reilly is cheap.

Comment

At one time, I enjoyed O’Reilly a lot. His act does get tiresome.

If he did what he is accused, he is a pig, and deserves to be made bankrupt from the suits and settlements.

Comment

It's all about money. Forgiveness is a lot easier when you're making money employing those people.

Comment

Some of it is probably fear of litigation on the part of Fox.

I mean you manage some payouts and keep your biggest star and one of the most prominent voices in the entire media. It almost seems like it was a budget item at that channel. Frankly if I were running a media company that relied heavily on men talking endlessly about family values I would expect this sort of sexual chicanery to crop up frequently but that's my cynicism about that crowd coming through probably overly strongly.

Or there are a few stories and Fox cuts him lose, does he come after them for damages equal to the remaining guaranteed comp in his contract + his next book deal + maybe $25M thrown in for his emotional distress?

Comment

I mean you manage some payouts and keep your biggest star and one of the most prominent voices in the entire media. It almost seems like it was a budget item at that channel. Frankly if I were running a media company that relied heavily on men talking endlessly about family values I would expect this sort of sexual chicanery to crop up frequently but that’s my cynicism about that crowd coming through probably overly strongly.

Or there are a few stories and Fox cuts him lose, does he come after them for damages equal to the remaining guaranteed comp in his contract + his next book deal + maybe $25M thrown in for his emotional distress?

Not responding directly to MPMD as a person.

I think its extremely narrow sighted, somewhat hopeful, and a whole bunch of diversion to pretend this only exists in certain niche areas of our world. This is just where its coming to a head, because media companies are no longer the all powerful entities they used to be and social media has magnified and not allowed those that stand up to be silenced as easily.

My base assumption is this is probably pretty normal throughout society, we just prefer to act as if it isnt because it makes us all feel better. That doesnt really address the problem though if we just continue to pretend its a few bad apples. Obviously some fields lend themselves to greater abuse opportunities, but imagine its a pretty steady feature of life.

Whats really insane is when you realize there really hasnt been a better era to be a woman ever (that we know of). Sad. Hopefully better by the time my daughters have to put up with it.

Comment

As I read these stories about all this misbehavior (maybe that word isn't strong enough, perhaps "crime") I say to myself, "Self, live your life in such a way that if someone were to accuse you of something similar no one would believe them."
                  Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

“Self, live your life in such a way that if someone were to accuse you of something similar no one would believe them.”

Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried (many) bags for a lovely and gracious 59 yo Cyd Charisse. (RIP) Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

Comment

I mean you manage some payouts and keep your biggest star and one of the most prominent voices in the entire media. It almost seems like it was a budget item at that channel. Frankly if I were running a media company that relied heavily on men talking endlessly about family values I would expect this sort of sexual chicanery to crop up frequently but that’s my cynicism about that crowd coming through probably overly strongly.

Click to expand…

I think its extremely narrow sighted, somewhat hopeful, and a whole bunch of diversion to pretend this only exists in certain niche areas of our world. This is just where its coming to a head, because media companies are no longer the all powerful entities they used to be and social media has magnified and not allowed those that stand up to be silenced as easily.

My base assumption is this is probably pretty normal throughout society, we just prefer to act as if it isnt because it makes us all feel better. That doesnt really address the problem though if we just continue to pretend its a few bad apples. Obviously some fields lend themselves to greater abuse opportunities, but imagine its a pretty steady feature of life.

Whats really insane is when you realize there really hasnt been a better era to be a woman ever (that we know of). Sad. Hopefully better by the time my daughters have to put up with it.

I didn't mean to imply that this is limited to one industry.

I do think that the incidence of disgusting and criminal male behavior is higher among men who aspire to set themselves up as the nation's public moral rectors.

Comment

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

I didn’t mean to imply that this is limited to one industry.

I do think that the incidence of disgusting and criminal male behavior is higher among men who aspire to set themselves up as the nation’s public moral rectors.

Didnt mean you were, hence the disclaimer. Your comment just reminded me of something I've bee thinking about.

Comment

Money and power corrupt many males and females.  Remember Martha Stewart and Leona Helmsley.

Comment

His show was really good.  He was usually on point and pretty fair to all sides.  I haven't watched fox news in a long time though so I don't really miss it.

I do however watch this clip every couple years and get a good laugh      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_HyZ5aW76c   Some bad language

Comment

Leaving aside the sexual impropriety aspect, some of the TV and radio hosts get paid extravagant sums and one wonders if the employer will ever recoup it.

Howard Stern got paid $500M for the years $2006-2010. I think he still gets paid $80M per year. How does Sirius justify a 5 year deal worth half a billion dollars. But they do.

Compared to that O’Reilly is cheap.

Howard Stern was a huge deal for Sirius/XM.  Tons and tons of subscribers signed up just for Howard Stern.  Seems hard to believe enough to justify $100m a year though, or even $80m.

Comment

Working...
                              X