Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally....CDC ends mask recommendations in health care settings

https://nypost.com/2022/09/28/cdc-lo...re-facilities/

How long will it take for hospitals and clinics to actually stop requiring them? They still recommend them in high infection areas, but unclear how that is determined.

““Updates were made to reflect the high levels of vaccine- and infection-induced immunity and the availability of effective treatments and prevention tools,” the agency wrote as a rationale for the relaxed guidance.”

BUT,

”Sixty-nine percent of US counties were experiencing rates of high transmissionWednesday, including the entire New York City metro area, according to CDC data. Seven percent of US counties were areas of “high risk” as of Sept. 22, the agency said.​”

SO,

CDC means only 31% of counties can take your masks off in healthcare settings.

The new messaging strategy I guess.

AND,
    ”could be overridden by local measures, the CDC said. It does not apply to non-health care settings.”

CDC firmly intends K82 has to ask permission, out of an abundance of caution.

What is unclear is CDC’s intent. Can local measures override CDC’s clear directions to require masks?

CDC has been tasked with messaging a positive image. Mission accomplished. But mask mandates are still alive and kicking for the overwhelming majority of healthcare operations, you can bet those counties account for 90%-95% of the population (they have that data,I don’t).

See what they did? Stick to their guns, change the message.

Comment

Great news. It might be a while until nys takes action. I hope I am wrong.

Comment

Interesting graphic of data for hospital usage.
        https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrI...05545a967578b1
        I set the beginning data back as far as possible, March 19, 2020. If I recall correctly, this was when everyone was in kind of in a panic. What I see, hospital bed usage was basically shutdown. That is financial disaster. This includes Houston, The Medical Center , the largest in the world.
        I suggest, they ran this as a business, occupancy is the critical factor, got to have customers to stay in business. They switched to monitoring admissions regardless of source.

ER (COVID or medical issue from health or trauma), labor and delivery, OR (elective or not),
        the occupancy had to be managed to stay in business. They needed about 10k beds filled to generate revenue. It took them from March to June 2020 to get back to the target occupancy range. Believe me when I say, they are a powerhouse that the governor, CDC nor an administration of either party will oppose. They balanced the cost/benefit reality of the pandemic. More COVID beds, got it covered.
        Less admissions, got it covered. PPE, got it covered. Vaccines, got it covered but YOU need to give me what I need and take care of the rest.
        They received the vast allocations (10,000/100 per week) to use as they saw fit. Screw your priorities.
        They will remove mask requirements when they see fit.
        BTW, they did that about 6 months ago.

Comment

Not gonna lie, but hospitals/healthcare settings as well as nursing homes seem like the exact places that could benefit from consistent use of masks long term regardless of Covid status. High risk populations plus increased likelihood of airborne pathogens.

Comment

Originally posted by Bmac View Post
            Not gonna lie, but hospitals/healthcare settings as well as nursing homes seem like the exact places that could benefit from consistent use of masks long term regardless of Covid status. High risk populations plus increased likelihood of airborne pathogens.
            If surgical masks were actually effective at preventing airborne viral infections, I would agree with you. Sadly, they aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
              Great news. It might be a while until nys takes action. I hope I am wrong.
              What is your plan with immunocompromised/elderly patients?

Comment

Originally posted by K82 View Post

If surgical masks were actually effective at preventing airborne viral infections, I would agree with you. Sadly, they aren't.
                Better question is why we aren't requiring N-95s in hospitals. I mean, unmasking with bone marrow pts seems problematic....

Comment

Originally posted by snowcanyon View Post

It is not a ban on masks. Patients can wear them if they want. Individual risk and all that jazz

Comment

Originally posted by K82 View Post

Give me a rundown on what is known/believed, if you please.

Seems that they would be effective in the exam room setting, in terms of preventing the spread of airborne/droplet.

Seems like I didn't get sick as much from seeing sick kids in the past couple of years due to the masks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bmac View Post
                      Just like "infection-induced immunity" was ignored for sooooooo long, the quality of the mask and the purpose was never really addressed by CDC in any of it's guidelines. That is buried in separate postings, not the guidelines. A silk mask that matches the scarf was perfectly acceptable. They never really addressed spreading vs prevention. Not part of the messaging. Mostly symbolic. See what they did?

Comment

Originally posted by legobikes View Post

Give me a rundown on what is known/believed, if you please.

Seems that they would be effective in the exam room setting, in terms of preventing the spread of airborne/droplet.

Seems like I didn't get sick as much from seeing sick kids in the past couple of years due to the masks.
                        There was a long thread on the topic: https://forum.whitecoatinvestor.com/...-prevent-covid

Comment

Upper-room germicidal UV light needs to be more widely installed, both in medical and non-medical settings, where people gather indoors and room geometry is suitable. It's the most effective and efficient method of air disinfection currently available.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

It is not a ban on masks. Patients can wear them if they want. Individual risk and all that jazz
                            Surely your health system has explained to you that your mask protects them? And that patients can be infected by remaining aerosolized droplets from previous unmasked patients?

Comment

Originally posted by snowcanyon View Post

What was your plan with them pre-COVID during influenza season? There’s your answer.

Comment

Working...
                              X